Self Help

Parayana

Parayana

I'm lucky because of meds I don't get many symptoms of SZ, I've found mindfulness meditation really helps with any residual paranoid thoughts, just sat for 40 mins doing anapanasati and I'm feeling well chilled.

D

dewey

I've done a few mindfulness meditations, is this like where someone says in a soothing voice:
"focus on the way your bum touches the seat you are sitting on... and focus on the way your feet touch the floor...and focus on the feeling running allllll the way over your body"

Parayana

Parayana

I dunno know about that Dewey I just do Buddhist minfulness of breathing. It's been around for 2500 years so it's tried and tested.

D

dewey

I dunno know about that Dewey I just do Buddhist minfulness of breathing. It's been around for 2500 years so it's tried and tested.
How do you learn the Buddhist mindfulness of breathing?

Parayana

Parayana

I learned from youtube videos by Ajahn Jayasaro and books and the odd visit to the Budddhist temple in Leicester. I'll give you a short precis on my technique that I gave to exyz a while back and she said it helped, just let me eat my soup! :)

D

dewey

I learned from youtube videos by Ajahn Jayasaro and books and the odd visit to the Budddhist temple in Leicester. I'll give you a short precis on my technique that I gave to exyz a while back and she said it helped, just let me eat my soup! :)
thanks

Parayana

Parayana

OK, this is my particular technique I have evolved over eight years of meditation and the study of a couple of hundred books on the subject, it's a hybrid of Thai and Sri Lankan Theravada Buddhism with a pinch of Zen for good measure.

First, sit somewhere comfortable with your back straight but not rigid (you don't have to sit cross legged, a straight back chair will do or kneel astride a high pile of cushions like riding a horse). Take 3 or 4 deep breaths and relax as you do so. Sit for around 15 to 20 minutes to begin with, breathe down into the hara, it's an area about two to three finger widths beneath the naval, breathe in feeling the beginning of the in breath at the nostrils, the middle at the heart and the end at the hara counting one as you do so, then breathe out reversing the positions counting one as you do so, relax and smile a little on the in and out breath, count two in, two out on the second breath and keep counting on the breaths in and out upto ten then start over at one. Other thoughts and feelings may arise in your mind - if they do so try and see how your mind tightens up and tries to grasp at them, gently recognise this, relax it's grip, resmile and return to the breath. After about ten minutes try and notice the part of yourself that is aware of your thoughts and feelings - try and see no matter what you think or feel how this part of yourself is completely still, calm and at peace no matter what is going on, when you relax on the breath, try and relax into that.

That's basically it, your Buddhist membership card and secret decoder ring are in the post, lol. :) . But seriously I hope you find it useful.

D

dewey

OK, this is my particular technique I have evolved over eight years of meditation and the study of a couple of hundred books on the subject, it's a hybrid of Thai and Sri Lankan Theravada Buddhism with a pinch of Zen for good measure.

First, sit somewhere comfortable with your back straight but not rigid (you don't have to sit cross legged, a straight back chair will do or kneel astride a high pile of cushions like riding a horse). Take 3 or 4 deep breaths and relax as you do so. Sit for around 15 to 20 minutes to begin with, breathe down into the hara, it's an area about two to three finger widths beneath the naval, breathe in feeling the beginning of the in breath at the nostrils, the middle at the heart and the end at the hara counting one as you do so, then breathe out reversing the positions counting one as you do so, relax and smile a little on the in and out breath, count two in, two out on the second breath and keep counting on the breaths in and out upto ten then start over at one. Other thoughts and feelings may arise in your mind - if they do so try and see how your mind tightens up and tries to grasp at them, gently recognise this, relax it's grip, resmile and return to the breath. After about ten minutes try and notice the part of yourself that is aware of your thoughts and feelings - try and see no matter what you think or feel how this part of yourself is completely still, calm and at peace no matter what is going on, when you relax on the breath, try and relax into that.

That's basically it, your Buddhist membership card and secret decoder ring are in the post, lol. :) . But seriously I hope you find it useful.
Thank you

Parayana

Parayana

You are very welcome, :). Hope it does you some good, exyz said it helped her when she was stressed after someone tried to mug her.

Parayana

Parayana

I forgot, close your eyes and don't try and force the breath to be deep just let each breath come naturally, long or short.