• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Self-help workbooks

connect

connect

Admin
I got this in my e-mail from Amazon today and thought it might be of interest - it's a new workbook for depression:

The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Depression: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to Move Through Depression and Create a Life Worth Living

Product Description:

There are hundreds of books on the market that try to help readers 'overcome' or 'put a stop to' depression. But what if depression isn't a 'thing' to be gotten rid of? What if depression is a behaviour that, in the context of the life of someone who is depressed, serves an important function or acts as a signal that something needs to change? Learning to understand the function and interpret the signal of depression would, then, be a much more important goal than finding out how to simply make it go away. Living well even with feelings of depression would be a more productive-and probably more attainable-goal.This workbook marks a major development in the treatment of depression. Based on the acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), an emerging new model of psychotherapy, "The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Depression" offers a new approach to depression. The central idea is that feelings of depression are not problems in themselves. What is a serious problem is the avoidance of pleasurable, productive activities.

At first depression may set the sufferer up for this avoidance, but sooner or later the process becomes a cycle, and the avoidance behaviours start causing more depressed feelings. When readers use the techniques in this book to evaluate their own experiences of depression, they will find out how to make changes that may or may not decrease their depressed feelings but will most certainly enrich and improve their total life experience.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
For me these things are just to difficult to work through on my own. I have tried on line self help in the past to challenge negative feelings but in the end as I'm not normally that stupid had to conclude that the time wasn't right for me to achieve much.I think that severe depression has to be treated professionally whether that be through medication or therapy/counselling and that some of the self help stuff around can be attempted when well or much improved.I also read a number of "positivity" type books and I think they just made me feel more of a failure at the time. I was at the time not aware that I was heading for severe depression last year as this was a first major episode I just knew that I wasn'tcoping.
This is of course just my experience. At the moment my concentration isn't very good either which also makes it more difficult.:confused:

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Hi I read a book years ago called Self help for your nerves by a Dr Claire Weekes, this sort of explained the anxiety state and the effects it has on us, it also included stuff on depression etc. It didn't cure me, but, it made me realise I wasn't dying and I could if I wanted to get better.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I agree with you KP - I tried to do the MoodGym online CBT course a while ago and, while it was interesting and intellectually i could see what they were getting at, emotionally I couldn't challenge my own negative thinking at that point because I was just too low. My GP has been saying for months that things will get better and to do things that I want to do, but I just couldn't see any way out. It has taken medication and lots of talking to get to the point where I can even acknowledge there might be a way out, but I can recognise now that I still need help from lots of sources to get on that path. I still don't think I could do it from a book. Perhaps it might be possible in order to prevent a recurrence, and that would be something worth working on in the future, but now is too soon, when getting up and basically functioning are still major goals to be achieved.

D

Dollit

Mindfulness is worth pursuing. I resisted it for quite a while but once I started I was glad I did. If you can't cope with a book try a CD from the University of Bangor - they have a mindfulness department and it's where my CD came from. I've been practising a while now and it does make a difference.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Like Rollinat I too tried on-line MoodGym and I could also see what they were getting at but couldn't put it into practice, my negative thought processes have been honed over decades and won't be swayed so easily. But I have got The Mindful Way Through Depression and the CD and find them useful. But I am sure that as individuals different things will suit all of us. :tea:

Aahbut

Aahbut

I have The mindful way through depression - Freeing yourself from chronic unhappiness. Though to be honest I just cannot get going with it. Like when I had CBT, I just couldn't remember what had been done each session. In the end it got postponed after just three sessions.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Rollint and Black Dog.We all seem to have tried the same thing. It was mood gym I had tried but I couldn't remember what it was called.I seem to remember it felt more appropriate for young people as well. I remember not being able to think of anything positive and trying to race my way through it "cheating" to try and see what it was getting at so it didn't work.
For me I think I am quite resistant because its difficult to be told or feel your being told that you have been doing things wrong all your life. I still personally feel this because I managed with my thought patterns to live life reasonable well ie as a reponsible adult until depression hit me . I can't quite cope with re-evaluating it all as a result of the depression. Hope this makes sense.:confused:

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Makes perfect sense. I agree. :tea:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Makes sense to me too - I too find it difficult to think about re-evaluating everything I have done so far in my life, because a lot of the things have been good and I don't want them changed or to feel that I got it wrong. Looking forward seems more useful at the moment than looking back.

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
To me self-help books are a good idea when there on the shelf. If you want to do a tornado kick you take tae kwon do lessons. Its the same thing. Go get help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Self Help and Mental Health 3