• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

self harms

• Thread starter midnightphoenix
  • Start date
SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

Depends on who you’re asking I think.
If it’s a person with no mental health experience, they’d probably say no.
Someone who understands or empathizes would probably say yes.

P

Pollypop

Mental health professionals should accept it as an illness and give
appropriate help, support and care to the person concerned.

This is probably not what you meant, But too often people are
dismissed and told “not to do it” “stop attention seeking” etc.

This is apparently the basic response from my CMHT area.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

i did a harms tonight cause he is refusing to stop saying about bananas radioactiveness

they need to all be thrown in chernobyl so all the radioactiveness is in one place :panic:

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

In my opinion it can be. It's a very slippery slope to express that though, And I get it...I've said this before but I do not want to seem like I am promoting self harm. But my thought process is...plenty of people drink and smoke without abusing them, these are things that cause physical harm to the body. But people only sometimes consider it self harm when it is an addiction...I wonder why self harm (don't know what exactly I can and can't say here) can't be seen as a casual thing? Like I said I am not trying to encourage this! But this is just how my brain works...I mean it makes me happy and relieves some stress for me, I personally don't feel ashamed of it so I don't see how it's any different from casual drinking? 🤔

B

Black Despondency

I used to self harm primarily so I could calm down enough to fall asleep, I don't consider doing so a goodsolution. It was very dangerous at the time because of my mental state. :panic:

CatLord

CatLord

In my opinion it can be. It's a very slippery slope to express that though, And I get it...I've said this before but I do not want to seem like I am promoting self harm. But my thought process is...plenty of people drink and smoke without abusing them, these are things that cause physical harm to the body. But people only sometimes consider it self harm when it is an addiction...I wonder why self harm (don't know what exactly I can and can't say here) can't be seen as a casual thing? Like I said I am not trying to encourage this! But this is just how my brain works...I mean it makes me happy and relieves some stress for me, I personally don't feel ashamed of it so I don't see how it's any different from casual drinking? 🤔
Thats an interesting take on self harm, I see your point. It would bother me though to harm and not get helped, because it would be normal...

B

Black Despondency

Thats an interesting take on self harm, I see your point. It would bother me though to harm and not get helped, because it would be normal...
I was also acutely suicidal at the time, but being able to sleep helped was very helpful. Knowing what self harm can feel like gave me a perspective into what other actions that involve physical pain feel like and how very little they would probably bother me knowing this is a very bad thing for me. I would vehemently discourage anyone from self harming especially the first time.