• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

self harming

P

Prankz

I can’t get enough of self-harming,I’m trying to stop but I feel like I have to do it everyday. I don’t hurt myself deep enough for it to leave a deep scar, it only leaves light scars. I just don’t know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and :welcome: to the forum. Its very addictive and works in the very short term. But in the long term it just makes you feel worse eventually. I suggest that you find things other than self harm substitutes to divert you. It gives you pleasure so think about other things that give you pleasure and do those instead. It could be eat a piece of chocolate - but do it slowly and with great attention to the act of eating. Take a shower but do it slowly watching the bubbles of water glitter and feel the water on your skin as though it was the first time you ever felt this etc.

You are diverting from something you don't or can't handle so its addictive as you need time to avoid the emotion it replaces. identifying that emotion or emotions is important and then asking yourself what thoughts pop into your head when you think of that emotion. Look at those thoughts and ask yourself why you feel that way and so on.

there is not easy answer to this. Its about retraining your brain to think differently if you want to change. If not then make sure you are safe and clean so infection doesn't become an issue.