Self harming newbee

N

Neilg

Hi I am new to this site I have found it hard to find anything about people my age self harming, I am a man aged 57 am single and quite lonely I have found in the last year or more that I want to self harm. It seems to be unusual for people my age to do this and feel very alone in all this, today has been the worst and feel like I need to harm !!!

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

People of any age can start self harm, it's not a good thing to do though as i'm sure you know :hug:

you dont deserve to be harming yourself, you deserve to be cared for and care for yourself :hug:

N

Neilg

I just feel at my age I should have more self control !! I don’t care about caring for myself I just feel empty

F

fightthegoodfight

It can happen to anyone regardless of gender, age or anything else. Just remember you arent alone. If you haven't started yet that's good. It gets harder to break once it becomes a habit. But if you have all hope is not lost. Try to remember the urges will pass and if you can find something distracting to do and try to get away from anything that encourages temptation.

What do you like to do? Is there anything that calms you? Walks always help calm me and clear my head, and it gets me away from that environment. Talking to others too, like you're doing now. Be safe, you are not alone here and we all understand what you're going through. :hug:

N

Neilg

Thank you I’m hoping that talking will help, I had a stroke a year ago which left me with left sided weakness so walking and or getting out is difficult

F

fightthegoodfight

Happy to talk. :) What kinds of things do you like to do? Anything that is really good at distracting you? Calypso's post is a really great tip too, take the time to read it I find that type of exercise helps me a lot.