• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Self-harm.

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

For some reason, i started to self-harm when im alone and a really, really stressfull situation happens.
Ofcourse... it leaves marks.
Is there something i can use that helps those marks to heal faster?
I work in a field assembly job and usually, in the summer, i work with a short shirt or no shirt.
I bought myself a concealer (dunno what type it is cuz im a guy :D ) but that only works somewhat
in the last stages when the mark is already pretty well healed.

S

strawberrywater

Neosporin helps to protect and heal minor wounds. Apply it and cover it with a band aid. Also stay hydrated to keep your skin healthy.

Have you tried anything to distract yourself from this when you're alone? Also sounds like you need coping methods for the stress. Do you have any hobbies? Anything that interests you? Chose things you can do with your hands - like little assembly models (I like putting together car models), drawing, painting, cooking. I also love baking.

Stay strong ❤

B

Bunny7

I use the app ‘Calm harm‘ to minimise my self harming, might be worth a look? I don’t have any answers about hiding scars I’m afraid, I either just wear short sleeves and brush off any comments or go with long sleeves and say I burn easily in the sun (which is actually true!) I’ve found most people are ok with my scars and injuries, I say that I’ve had a bad time and move the conversation on. The first few days are the hardest but I’ve found acceptance on the whole. Good luck

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

Im sorry if i do soemthing wrong here, but i found no way to edit my original post!
Neosporin helps to protect and heal minor wounds. Apply it and cover it with a band aid. Also stay hydrated to keep your skin healthy.

Have you tried anything to distract yourself from this when you're alone? Also sounds like you need coping methods for the stress. Do you have any hobbies? Anything that interests you? Chose things you can do with your hands - like little assembly models (I like putting together car models), drawing, painting, cooking. I also love baking.

Stay strong ❤

Thanks for the tip with Neosporin!

My situation is weird.
I changed my entire life after a depression, moved to a new city, stopped smoking and marihuana, manage to hold a stable job - but the self harm stayed for some reason.
Like i am at the best stage of my life that i've had in the past decade.

I used to play PC Games as a hobby but right now, all i do is really just working.
My job takes 12+ hours every day so i dont really have much time for hobbys, its in that down time on the weekend that the self harm (rarely) happens.

I am deeply in love with Motorcycles and i will buy a Kawasaki Ninja 400 once i get my drivers license - not sure if that might become a outlet for me.
But so far, i just spend time at home on weekends and sometimes with family.

I also enjoy Beer. I know it might become dangerous if i go overboard, but it helps me to relax.
I often listen to 80's/power Metal music after a few beers and that calms me down really good.

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

Can you guys give me any Tips on how to STOP SH before it happens?
Do you have some method to clear your head, to realize what
you are about to do is bad and you should stop?

Im lucky enough to not SH badly enough to deal permanent damage (except some older scars)
but i want it to stop.

2Much2Feel

Hey, are you familiar with any DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy) skills that can get you through? It's designed for this type of scenario when you're feeling like you may go that route. There is a lot on YouTube on it, books (Marsha Linehan, the founder of DBT, is really good). I'm so sorry you're feeling like this.

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

Hey, are you familiar with any DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy) skills that can get you through? It's designed for this type of scenario when you're feeling like you may go that route. There is a lot on YouTube on it, books (Marsha Linehan, the founder of DBT, is really good). I'm so sorry you're feeling like this.
Thanks for the amazing suggestion!
Unfortionally, i work all day and especially in summer, i dont have a single day off because we have so much work.
And as its common in manual labour, i have many colleagues that would judge me for it.
The typical: "Just feel better" "mental illn-what now? Just man up" types of older guys...
I can't take a day off for therapy-
Looked it up and it does seem like it could help. i will come back to it when its possible!

2Much2Feel

Thanks for the amazing suggestion!
Unfortionally, i work all day and especially in summer, i dont have a single day off because we have so much work.
And as its common in manual labour, i have many colleagues that would judge me for it.
The typical: "Just feel better" "mental illn-what now? Just man up" types of older guys...
I can't take a day off for therapy-
Looked it up and it does seem like it could help. i will come back to it when its possible!
Please try to. You need to address this and there is help. Pulling for you, and hugs to you.

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

hi LearntheEssentials

the Mind guide is considered good

Thanks! I will try to delay the SH, that Website was very helpfull.
Once or twice before i managed to focus in the moment, bite my teeth together
and rage internally rather than on my body. That almost made me pass out because
it was so difficult to do and i saw stars after it but it worked.
Even when i didn't SH, my rage soon was gone.

I will try to do it, thanks Zoe! (y)

Z

Zoe1

n yeah that rage is really hard when it hits

I had a bit of that the other day

2Much2Feel

n yeah that rage is really hard when it hits

I had a bit of that the other day
It's the worst. Rage. It just takes over completely.

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

It's the worst. Rage. It just takes over completely.
:hug:

Its such a weird thing. The human mind is crazy.
I never think of self harm. It just happens in a split second
and right after it i hate myself for doing it and am back to completely rational and normal.

2Much2Feel

:hug:

Its such a weird thing. The human mind is crazy.
I never think of self harm. It just happens in a split second
and right after it i hate myself for doing it and am back to completely rational and normal.
Isn't it strange? How doing that somehow takes it away and de-escalates so quickly, then I can't even relate to how I was feeling when I did or when I blew up at someone, etc. It's like this force that takes over.