• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Self harm scars

K

Krozzy

I have, over the last 4 years self harmed as a means of coping with anxiety and depression. I have one arm that is considerably scarred.

as summer is approaching, I really want to be able to wear short sleeves but the marks are so obvious I worry about someone asking me what I’ve done.

what excuses have you used to explain your scars?

Wishbone

Wishbone

If it is considerably scarred then you wouldn't be able to pass it off as anything as most people would see them, their shape and length etc and work out what they are pretty easily. I don't know what the girls do but concealing them with make-up in some way maybe? Otherwise it's long sleeves...or a large tattoo (but that's a pretty extreme attempt and one that doesn't hide them completely anyway).

K

Krozzy

I think it’s fairly obvious what’s happened so I’m probably not able to get way with much. It’s just embarrassing

BoutonLune

BoutonLune

Years ago I had really badly self harmed my arm. It was horrendous and obvious. They spanned from wrist to elbow. They eventually faded after a few years. I tended to wear long sleeves. The odd time I did wear a t shirt the only thing I could do was bandage that arm and say I had hurt it, so it needed a dressing. Not ideal I know, but it was the only option I had as they were so bad. It did mean I felt cooler in the summer though, not having the long sleeves covering the whole of both arms.

I know many people don't try to disguise it. Which I admire but could not do myself.

Sorry I don't have any better answers for you. I couldn't find one for myself.

Finite

Finite

If you want to wear t-shirts in the summer months, you can get cooling arm sleeves, which a lot of sporty types wear under their t-shirt sleeves for things like basketball and mountain biking. They're really thin and do just what they say and keep you cool as well as keeping anything you don't want exposed, covered. I hope you find something that works for you this summer :)

Wishbone

Wishbone

I know many people don't try to disguise it. Which I admire but could not do myself.
I knew someone that did that and to me it was nothing to admire. I found it really ignorant and all about intentionally drawing attention to themselves.

BoutonLune

BoutonLune

I knew someone that did that and to me it was nothing to admire. I found it really ignorant and all about intentionally drawing attention to themselves.
I saw it as they had managed to accept and embrace themselves and what they had come through. A lot of pain, turmoil and being unwell leads to self harm. Finding a way to overcome the shame and perhaps being even a little proud that they were survivors through their experience was admirable to me.

That is just how I see it. Not saying the person you knew didn't do it for the reasons you say. I don't know. But I think it takes a lot for most people not to hide them.

oreoZayyy

oreoZayyy

ive self harmed for the last year, and i have an arm pretty scarred too. to hide it while wearing t-shirts, i usually tie a bandana around my entire forearm and put on some bracelets and other accessories. eventually my friends just accepted it as my style and didn't suspect anything. hope it helps :)

Wishbone

Wishbone

That is just how I see it. Not saying the person you knew didn't do it for the reasons you say. I don't know. But I think it takes a lot for most people not to hide them.
Nah, this one just didn't give a shit and wanted people to see what they were doing to themselves. They would leave 'instruments' lying around and tissues lying around too. 100% for attention.