Self harm and work/College?

Magic_Bullet

Magic_Bullet

So, this is really starting to bug me... mostly because a social worker from my school actually called my house to tell me that one of my teachers reported concerns about me...

I was hospitalized out of school once for talking to the social worker about sh. Can they do that in college?

What about work... if you do it, but you don't do it AT work and they find out, can you still lose your job?

Also, what about work places with uniform T-shirts? Do they care if you wear a long sleeved shirt under them?

These questions have been driving me up a wall, lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

becky1989

With work and college, both should be supportive and allow you to take the time away to get yourself better. Depending how long you take away can actually effect the your job. But your health is the main priority right now.

Take care

Magic_Bullet

Magic_Bullet

Err... I don't intend on taking time off... there's a lot going on right now... but I really cannot put my life on hold for it.

I don't even have a job. I'm trying to get one... and failing miserably. Mostly, I'm concerned with whether I can be hospitalized by college social workers and whether they could fire me at a job for noticing... things...

And whether having to have my arms covered would be problematic.

My sh habit is very old... and it comes and goes. I term my condition as "situational depression" and I don't think there's any "helping" me until I'm out of this irrationally upsetting situation... which will happen... sooner than I'd like...and it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Magic_Bullet

Magic_Bullet

Wow... you really answer any of my questions. *sigh*

I was hospitalized out of school once for talking to the social worker about sh. Can they do that in college?

What about work... if you do it, but you don't do it AT work and they find out, can you still lose your job?

Also, what about work places with uniform T-shirts? Do they care if you wear a long sleeved shirt under them?

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
Wow... you really answer any of my questions. *sigh*
Magic, no one has all the answers. If they did, they'd be extremely rich, and there would certainly be no need for our forum. ;)

To add, I don't know the answer to the work issue. I always wear long sleeved shirts at work. If they told me to wear short sleeved ones, I'd either discuss it, or leave if it was insisted.

Magic_Bullet

Magic_Bullet

I always wear long sleeved shirts at work. If they told me to wear short sleeved ones, I'd either discuss it, or leave if it was insisted.
The problem with this is that I'm really only going to get a menial job and most of them have sort of uniform polo-like T-shirts. Beggars can't be choosers and all. :(

Thanks for personal experience, though. I greatly appreciate it. =D

I did answer your question
Do tell me how you answered whether or not I could get hospitalized out of college, whether a job could fire you for sh or whether they accept that you have a need to wear long sleeves. Dying to know.

B

becky1989

Do tell me how you answered whether or not I could get hospitalized out of college, whether a job could fire you for sh or whether they accept that you have a need to wear long sleeves. Dying to know.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if you felt that I didn't supply the right answers but here are some.
1. Whether or not I could get hospitalized out of college?

A. I suppose you can get hospitalized. My friend has got Schizophrenia and he was at college at the time and got taken out to be hospitalized. Not a choice he had.

2. Whether a job could fire you for sh'ing?

A. I have never heard that an employer can fire you for that. But anyone can see if you are sh'ing that you are suffering. Like I mentioned before, the employer should be supportive to give you the time to work on yourself to recover.

3. Whether they accept that you have a need to wear long sleeves?

A. If you are having to wear uniform that they supply, and it's short sleeved then you can't. Also, it can be health and safety. Like working with machinery and you can't wear long sleeves. If you don't have to wear uniform and you can wear what you like, then you can wear long sleeves.

B

Beth_Aston

College hospitalised me once for a similar reason. They have an obligation to make sure their students are safe. Teachers/tutors at college are not psychiatrists and so it puts them in a difficult position to decide what's best for YOU. But if they feel you are unsafe at college, they need to refer you to someone who can help and/or get a second opinion on what to do.
In my experience, I begged them not to hospitalise me, but they had no choice. They were not professionals who know how to deal with these situations, so they follow college obligations to make sure I was safe.

I hope this helps. x

Magic_Bullet

Magic_Bullet

Thanks... it sucks... because that means I can't trust them, either.

I thought I was done with that after High School... and one of my teachers keeps forwarding my emails to her to the counseling department. *sigh*

Thing is, it's obnoxious that they think you would need any special treatment at all. Everyone acts like sh'ing is a huge deal and like I need help for it... and I've been doing it since I was like... twelve. If I was really trying to kill myself, I'd have done it by now... and mental health professionals who assume that you're going to kill yourself because you sh really irritate me. You'd think they'd know better. *sigh* Oh well.

Thanks a million, though... the social workers keep calling my house and now I know that I really can't talk to them... same as every other place on Earth.

Speaking of which, even the journal I submitted here never got really posted. *sigh*

calypso

calypso

Admin
hey

I am a nurse and I have to wear short sleeves all the time. I carried on and did my job, and only once did anyone ask me about my scars. I stood up confidently and told them, "Yes I self harmed inthe past, its a sign of how ill I was" and walked out the door. No-one ever asked me again, and I just carried on. If you are still SHing then there may be a problem with infection I guess, but otherwise, just ignore it and others might too.

delatext

delatext

Hi, hope the above sort of answers your question, I hope you're okay and can get the result you want, any college counselors you can talk to about this ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Self Harm Forum 2
soulsearcher Self Harm Forum 37
S Self Harm Forum 4
midnightphoenix Self Harm Forum 120
soulsearcher Self Harm Forum 45