• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Self esteem

T

T3williams

The reason most people have low self esteem is because of others. Everyone is so afraid of being judged by everyone around them that it is so hard to be yourself.

K

kbamford210

Theres that but also how people grow up and are raised plays a factor in how they respond to others comments. Some people just don't care about what others have to say. Then there's the people that take words emotionally.

Unique1

Unique1

Yes this seems to be true. People appear to be so judgemental IMO.
I think I've become hyper sensitive to it ! It doesn't feel nice :(

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
And when they know they are ugly and fat and no matter what they do, they can't change :(

J

JVR_21

Sometimes they don't admit it but media takes a huge toll on them. They compare themselves to the "perfect" images that are forced down their throats every single day. It takes time to detach themselves from that negative view and see themselves for who they are. It's like breaking free from the chains society put on them while they grow up or freeing themselves from the brain wash.

rubyrose

rubyrose

For me it's basically a result of being made to believe pretty much everything about me is wrong, all my life. I've never felt right. Now I'm full of self-doubt and I have virtually no faith in my abilities. The mockery and criticism from relatives, co-workers, bosses, teachers, classmates, friends who weren't really friends...it has torn me down over the years. Some of the same people who made me feel like utter crap were those who stressed to me how important it is to have confidence and learn to love myself. Well, thanks for building me up!

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was always bullied for being fat and minging. Even my still weird sayt, ex said I would be stupid to leave as I'll never do better :(
My dadand mother gave little encouragement. Only last few years has dad mentioned hes proud.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I worry a lot about what other people think, and fear being judged as inadequate. A lot of it goes back to childhood cos I've been this way as long as I can remember. I ruminate on what people say to me, and take things very personally. I go through situations in my mind, where I've been mocked or felt silly, and it gets me down and angry. I avoid people a lot and have a lot of trouble mixing comfortably with others :confused:

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think a lot of my paranoia is linked to self esteem too. Cant help but think ive done wrong all the time and apologise then that actually does annoy me making it even worse! Arghh

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Sometimes I try too hard to please people too, or agree with them too easily, so as to be more accepted and likeable. Of cos by trying too hard, I then worry that I come across as a pushover, or else too needy or something. Sometimes I get prickly and irritable over it, which doesn't really make for satisfactory friendships at all. It's horrible. I just stick with family now :panic:

nonotme

nonotme

Everyone is so afraid of being judged by everyone around them that it is so hard to be yourself.
have been judged all my life.

by my family, friends, teachers, co-workers ,the media an dso on.

no self esteem left.

i'm just a shit bloke with paranoia and total dispare at life.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Too many arseholes abuse our goodwill! Fuck them all i say! Twats

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Too many arseholes abuse our goodwill! Fuck them all i say! Twats
I gone off on one plenty times over the years, and people are left gobsmacked. Whoah, WTF! sort of thing, and then they give me the bum's rush. As my GP said to me once: some of the things you say are a bit inflammatory....

I've had Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) from a psychologist a few years back, and I had some more time with him last year. It's helped a bit. I understand more about the way I am now, and how it can be counterproductive. I still find it very hard though, and stick with family, just saying hello and brief chats with neighbours and casuals otherwise :)

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah i went sick in my local spar thr3atening and shouting, I struggle to go in now although a year ago. Cant miss the fuckin nut job with blue hair can you?!

Last edited:
M

MYTIMEHASCOME

People say hurtfull things like ugly stupid etc and so many people have said it - it must be true - i dunno why i let it effect me they aint oil paintings on einstein themselves

I just hate how im nice to people or polite and they look at you lile your dirt or they are better than you! Blah i hate people