• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Self care

ht46

ht46

I'm trying to find better ways at coping with life, I have a lot of negativity, regret and lack of motivation.
I have suicidal thoughts at least once every two days this has been going on for about two years as I get more of a grip on life, reality my situation. I usually self medicate with alcohol the highs can be good but the lows are getting worse.
I just want some advice to take care without damaging myself, the lows are getting scary and I worry about how long I'll last if they get so bad and I do something which I highly doubt but at the same time the booze is slowly damaging me.

I know I'll always have these issues just want if you have any tips on living not to sound like I'm having a winge just asking for help.

C

celticlass

Oh I have been there with the alcoholic {I am in recovery 5 years} highs and lows. Been admitted onto mental health ward towards the end with very low mood and wanting to die. I was able to tell the nursing staff how I would go about it. And you will probably recognise that the alcohol use is increasing the suicidal thoughts? I have underlying mental illness so my difficulties continue but your story may well be different. So on a practical level you need to try cut down the alcohol use. At times I used to talk to the Samaritans about my issues and I felt that helped. They said I could call them rather than pick up the bottle. It is good you are getting more of a grip on life. It has taken me a long time but I feel I am coping much better now. I used to come on here and end up getting banned due to my negativity, the alcohol use and my blunt attitudes etc I think I have calmed that all down. I think if I were in your shoes I would do the following - 1. seek help to manage alcohol misuse 2. look to explore with your GP what is going on with your mental health. This will become clearer the longer you go without alcohol 3. Try to get out in green scenery for a walk every day 4. Make lists of things you need to practically do and try to work through 4. Try to manage your personal appearance, making it a priority {you will feel better if you look better 5. Aim for a good solid meal once a day {I don't know how much your drinking is affecting your diet but I used to drink, not eat. 6 Keep your bedroom space clean and tidy as you need that space to feel calm, safe and relaxed. That's all ha!

ht46

ht46

Thank you, much appreciated. I know what my mental health is I'm diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia unfortunately the meds I take mean I can't take anti depressants. Thanks that's good advice I'll try and cut back the drinking etc.

Fairy Fountain

Fairy Fountain

What works for me is finding the right kind of medication, especially for sleep. So far, I'm still looking for one to help my anxiety/paranoia. But I'm sleeping well with the other medication I take. I think sleep is so important. I love to sleep. If I could sleep all day, every day, I would. Another thing is therapy. There are also things you can do, like finding a hobby. Reading, writing your thoughts down, creating art. Anything like that to stay away from stuff that is unhealthy. I hope you find something that works for you and good luck.

ht46

ht46

What works for me is finding the right kind of medication, especially for sleep. So far, I'm still looking for one to help my anxiety/paranoia. But I'm sleeping well with the other medication I take. I think sleep is so important. I love to sleep. If I could sleep all day, every day, I would. Another thing is therapy. There are also things you can do, like finding a hobby. Reading, writing your thoughts down, creating art. Anything like that to stay away from stuff that is unhealthy. I hope you find something that works for you and good luck.
Thank you. Thats good advice.

vangoghs

vangoghs

I'm trying to find better ways at coping with life, I have a lot of negativity, regret and lack of motivation.
I have suicidal thoughts at least once every two days this has been going on for about two years as I get more of a grip on life, reality my situation. I usually self medicate with alcohol the highs can be good but the lows are getting worse.
I just want some advice to take care without damaging myself, the lows are getting scary and I worry about how long I'll last if they get so bad and I do something which I highly doubt but at the same time the booze is slowly damaging me.

I know I'll always have these issues just want if you have any tips on living not to sound like I'm having a winge just asking for help.
The first thing that you should do is stop self-medicating with alcohol. If you need help to stop using alcohol to self-medicate, join Alcoholics Anonymous. Try to find something to do that does not involve alcohol, sex, drugs or smoking as a substitute.

F

Faceplant

I second CBT. It teaches you about your thinking patterns and how to change your thinking behavior. It has made a real difference in my life. Take the time to study and practice it. It could take weeks to months to get a solid understanding of it all, and to make changes to your thought habits so you new thinking becomes habit, but it is worth it. There are courses online, some paid, that teach it.

P.S. It is not a form of branwashing in case I made it sound like that.