• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Seems I'm Over This Board Now!

W

Watercolours

It’s taking a long number of years... ermmm let’s count five I think, but as of today my diagnosis has changed from the unsuitable and unhelpful label of Borderline Personality Disorder which was slapped on by a very stupid NHS who couldn’t be bothered to treat me properly to Bipolar II from a Consultant Psych who has got to know me well over a year, treated me with meds, changed meds when they have not worked and listened, we’ve worked together and things have been great.

I’ve been officially in the ‘Depression Zone’ since 1999 when I was first given Prozac which sent me slightly hypomanic and scared the life out of me that I never went back to my GP, I then just flung about from depressive episode to high moods. I suspected Bipolar II from around 2004 but was too scared to do much about it, I eventually found myself in the NHS Psych services from 2005 onwards and the battle begun...

The rest they say is history... in a short version the NHS would never medicate me with a mood stabiliser stating they had never witnessed my high moods but I constantly queried that I was not likely to present to them in a high mood, I’d more likely to be sodding off half way around Europe, but they didn’t get the real me... I got sick of asking for mood stabilisers and the mood swings where making my life pure hell, I went private.

I met a fantastic psych and I got the right medication and gradually a new improved me emerged, a confident person. Yes I still get periods of depression and anxiety, I’ve just come through a recent bout of depression and anxiety which was not so nice but once again I’m back on the happy side and feeling positive about what the future holds.

So as of today I got my DX of Bipolar II, now starts the job of getting the NHS to change their record of me and I want the whole Borderline Personality Disorder label out of my records.

emski

emski

Glad you have found treatment and a proper diagnosis, though of course neither would be preferable. I don't have a clue about how you go about having something permanently removed off your records, but I hope that you manage it :)

J

jamesdean

Hi watercolours, I'mpleased thatyou have got a positive story from m h services, I recently went to see a 2nd psych n have had my condition so well explained to me it makes such a difference when they explain things to us,take care regards JD

R

Rainbow

Hi watercolours, it's really good to hear you're feeling positive and things are good for you.
I have a similar situation where I was diagnosed with Borderline PD, perhaps incorrectly but I'm not so sure. They (MH service) never told me anything about it and wasn't even told they had actually diagnosed me, I only found out by reading my GP's computer screen. I think I went years without knowing anything. I have more recently been diagnosed with Bipolar, also found out the same way. My meds were changed by my Psychiatrist to 'stabilise my moods', he didnt say the Bipolar word to me or try and explain anything (again). It wasn't until I went to my GP and saw a fax from him to my GP with the word Bipolar on it.
I do really hope you manage to sort you're records out, I agree that I don't think they can actually change anything that has been written in the past but good luck anyway.

DrLecter

DrLecter

It’s taking a long number of years... ermmm let’s count five I think, but as of today my diagnosis has changed from the unsuitable and unhelpful label of Borderline Personality Disorder which was slapped on by a very stupid NHS who couldn’t be bothered to treat me properly to Bipolar II from a Consultant Psych who has got to know me well over a year, treated me with meds, changed meds when they have not worked and listened, we’ve worked together and things have been great.

I’ve been officially in the ‘Depression Zone’ since 1999 when I was first given Prozac which sent me slightly hypomanic and scared the life out of me that I never went back to my GP, I then just flung about from depressive episode to high moods. I suspected Bipolar II from around 2004 but was too scared to do much about it, I eventually found myself in the NHS Psych services from 2005 onwards and the battle begun...

The rest they say is history... in a short version the NHS would never medicate me with a mood stabiliser stating they had never witnessed my high moods but I constantly queried that I was not likely to present to them in a high mood, I’d more likely to be sodding off half way around Europe, but they didn’t get the real me... I got sick of asking for mood stabilisers and the mood swings where making my life pure hell, I went private.

I met a fantastic psych and I got the right medication and gradually a new improved me emerged, a confident person. Yes I still get periods of depression and anxiety, I’ve just come through a recent bout of depression and anxiety which was not so nice but once again I’m back on the happy side and feeling positive about what the future holds.

So as of today I got my DX of Bipolar II, now starts the job of getting the NHS to change their record of me and I want the whole Borderline Personality Disorder label out of my records.
Hello!

Great news about how you've progressed, and proof positive that not all Psychiatric professionals are complete morons.

My own story shares many similarities with your own, with the notable exception being that I worked as a mental health professional and the stress of my role tipped me over my pre-disposed edge towards BiPolar 2/Cyclothymia.

Mental Health Nurses of good calibre and empathy are in seriously short supply, and it is with this in mind that I wish you all the best in your forthcoming studies. Your insight and experience will prove invaluable!(y)

emski

emski

Mental Health Nurses of good calibre and empathy are in seriously short supply, and it is with this in mind that I wish you all the best in your forthcoming studies. Your insight and experience will prove invaluable!(y)
I know this was written for watercolours, but it has cheered me up a bit too (in first year of training and struggling a bit) Thanks :flowers:

W

Watercolours

Thank You!

I know this was written for watercolours, but it has cheered me up a bit too (in first year of training and struggling a bit) Thanks :flowers:
I think anyone that goes into MH Nursing having experienced their own problems is going to be invaluable to the service and have a great deal of empathy for the patients and relatives. Keep up the good work Emski!

I thought I would give you an update, the NHS appointment went well, I saw the consultant who originally diagnosed me with Borderline Traits and then Borderline Personality Disorder. I had a through chat to him and he’s going to review my diagnosis, he’s in agreement I’ve no longer got a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder and have made a massive improvement since my admittance to the ward last year but he may still DX me with traits of being Borderline as well as Bipolar II because of my impulsivity. I need to get my private psych to send up the recent reviews so he can get updated. I am back there to see him in six months but I’ll give it a few months and I intend to write to him to see what he comes up with, so I am prepared for the next appointment in August.

I am not to bothered about getting the whole BPD thing removed from my records, since perhaps for a while I did show the majority of the signs of BPD as he said it’s possible I should have had an initial dual diagnosis of BP II and BPD. I personally think the whole BPD thing could have been avoided if mood stabiliser had been prescribed though when I asked for them, sometimes the patients are right!!!!

jax

jax

Hi there. Over the years I have had many diagnosis including Schizophrenia, Borderline PD and Depressive psychosis. I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 in 2005. I noticed recently that my GP still has borderline PD as my diagnosis. I asked for it to be removed but don't know if it was.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Bipolar Forum 2
H Bipolar Forum 23
frisas45 Bipolar Forum 1
B Bipolar Forum 1
Zardos Bipolar Forum 18