• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Seeking stories for an article

A

aprilviolet

Seeking stories for an article (updated info)

Hello all,

I am seeking people to interview for an article I am writing for a journalism class. I'm interested in covering a variety of experiences and perspectives from those dealing with auditory vocal hallucinations. Stories from those who have adapted to voices or have found coping mechanisms are strongly encouraged. Please email me at the address below. I will send you questions and follow-ups.

<old email deleted>

I am looking forward to your replies.

Thanks a bunch!
April Rhodes

--

UPDATE:

I have decided to update the original inquiry with a little more info.

Ok. It looks like it would be better if I use hearing voices to describe the experience instead of using auditory hallucinations. My usage of the word hallucination isn’t meant to diminish anyone’s experience.

I want to add a human face to the experience rather than just relay facts. People can reveal what they are comfortable revealing about their experiences with hearing voices. Voice-hearers can say as much as little as they want. It isn't necessary to go into detail if it causes discomfort.

Here are the kinds of things I'd like to know: When the episodes started, possible triggers, methods of coping, to what degree the coping methods have helped, etc. I am pretty open, though, because there are a range of experiences.

My intention is to give voice-hearers a chance to clear up misconceptions. Feel free to ask me questions or make clarifications.

Please email me at the email address below. I created a new one for the purpose of interviewing voice-hearers.

[email protected]

Thanks!
April

A

aprilviolet

Well, I am a student and there will be no exchange of money.

When I was in my early teens, I started hearing voices. I struggled on my own because I was terrified about the idea of ending up in a mental hospital. This is an experience I would have never expected in someone like me, who was deafened during childhood. I have since conquered the voices. I am elated to find out out there are organizations such as the Hearing Voices Network.

I have already done research, but personal stories will help drive the article. My goal is to help break the social stigma that comes with the experience of hearing voices.

It would be super if anyone can take some time to contribute. Thanks!

parker

parker

well i shared my story with a few and i got a lot of flak for it, even from a fellow voice hearer. it will be a cold day in hell before i share it with another again!

parker

A

aprilviolet

Parker, it is unfortunate that you received flak from sharing your story.

Rabina, nice try.

Maybe I'm just idealistic, but I see this as an opportunity to educate others. There are many people who know little-to-nothing about auditory hallucinations and their associations are mainly negative. There's still a way to go to make progress.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read my post.

April

R

rabina

Parker, it is unfortunate that you received flak from sharing your story.

Rabina, nice try.

Maybe I'm just idealistic, but I see this as an opportunity to educate others. There are many people who know little-to-nothing about auditory hallucinations and their associations are mainly negative. There's still a way to go to make progress.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read my post.

April

April,

You know, you make a good point about hallucinations.

I happen to have the voice I hear on a recorder, but it would be much easier for me to convince myself that it really is a hallucination.

Now, where did the voice on the recorder come from; well, I shall also convince myself that I disguised my voice to be that of a male and whisper into the recorder.

Yes, this is what I am going to try and do; make my life easier, convince myself that I am having hallucinations.

Now, am I being sarcastic, yes, ofcourse I am.
Why?

Oh April, I'm not mad, just a little disappointed that you assume they are all hallucinations and perhaps they may actually be real voices coming from where though???

Thank You April,
rabina

I

ihearvoices

I tend to agree that what I hear are not hallucinations....they are very real to me...these voices are heard with my ears and are external....not hallucinations of the mind. That is my experience with them...others may jump in and say they are hallucinations. I don't really have a story other then what I am writing here. I don't feel like a matyr to go out and share my story as if it is a great thing and it is a great contribution. I am merely wanting to communicate with others who also hear so I can try to make some sense of it all.

R

rabina

I tend to agree that what I hear are not hallucinations....they are very real to me...these voices are heard with my ears and are external....not hallucinations of the mind. That is my experience with them...others may jump in and say they are hallucinations. I don't really have a story other then what I am writing here. I don't feel like a matyr to go out and share my story as if it is a great thing and it is a great contribution. I am merely wanting to communicate with others who also hear so I can try to make some sense of it all.

From what i've learned in 22 months, the voice i hear makes no sense and is unimportant.

It or they (the voices) will not physically hurt you.

Change your environment or move, see if this helps.
It helped me, why, don't know, don't care.

Be around people, keep busy, exercise (which i don't do.)
Don't take the voices seriously at all.

Listen to yourself.
Don't try and convince anyone that what you're hearing is for real; it will only frustrate you.

Take a med. if it helps with symptoms.
Laught at the freaking voice; it's a fool or horribly lonely and lost.

It's a negative energy; don't let it tear you apart.
If i think of anything else, i will be back.

rabina

Returncc

Returncc

When I was in my early teens, I started hearing voices. I struggled on my own because I was terrified about the idea of ending up in a mental hospital. This is an experience I would have never expected in someone like me, who was deafened during childhood. I have since conquered the voices. I am elated to find out out there are organizations such as the Hearing Voices Network.

Just out of curiosity, how did you beat the voices?

I think alot of the stigma around voices is from the content they force on people, no one else deals with this kind of stuff and actually has their freedom, it is a drag to want to talk about voices but everything to talk about from them is negative and horrible. No one can relate. My voices have explained many things to me about their personal life, but i am mostly a forensic witness of supernatural information. check out my blog at http://returncc.blogspot.com/

or email me at [email protected] if you are looking for a contribution.