Seeking advice

DiAnna

DiAnna

I have been taking Risperdol for over a year, I still constantly hear my two voices. I can distinguish fact from fiction. My question is at 2 mg a day what are the odds I will relapse if I cut the medication out? I am asking your opinion I will check with my doctor but the side effects are horrible. I have gained thirty pounds and that alone makes me feel down. I ask for input, nothing supernatural please just fact. Not meaning any disrespect to anyone I just understand facts I can’t wrap my head around the supernatural. Thank you in advance
DiAnna

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
There are many colours to the anti-psychotic rainbow, you could always ask for a medication review and go on a different one, I'm on my third but I know people who have a list as long as my arm of different medications they've tried.

In my experience there's no way to stop voices if they don't want to shut up but the medication does lower the volume of them considerably so that's a plus for me.

But if you're adamant you want to try living free of medication then ask your doctor first and taper off them slowly under supervision to try and avoid withdrawal effects, with Risperdal you may have trouble sleeping without it.

What you asked about odds of relapsing into psychosis I don't believe anyone can give you any factual numbers, it's dependant on so many variables it's almost impossible to predict.

How bad was your sense of reality when not on medication and going through psychosis? How long did it last for before you were treated for it? What are your voices like now, positive or negative? How many episodes have you had?

For me my sense of reality was really bad and I went almost three months as a 'duration of untreated psychosis' for my second episode, my first episode lasted more like two to three weeks and I was hospitalised for it but was never given any medication, it just seemed to pass on its own.

DiAnna

DiAnna

At first I couldn’t understand why! It seemed so real . It lasted 3 months before I was able to grasp it was psychosis. Even with meds I hear them constantly they had me on 4 mg I am down to 2 mg that made no change in my condition . I had never had any kind of problems before. I was hospitalized and told I had suffered a nervous breakdown. Later was labeled severe depressive disorder,with auditory hallucinations, PTSD, and OCD tendencies. Before the voices , I never had any psychiatric issues. My voices are not positive EVER, I wish I was that lucky

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
That's a tough one, I'm not surprised you were depressed with all that going on.

Sorry if this might branch out into the supernatural but I believe voices are the cause of delusions, I believe they can make you do and think things that you normally wouldn't even consider, the medication you're on protects you from that.

If your voices haven't evolved over the year you've been taking anti-psychotics then it may not be long enough, mine has evolved from being a hateful and negative influence in my life to being just a stupid and annoying (never shuts up) influence but he still isn't good enough for me to even consider coming off medication yet. My current stance on the matter is "drugs for life!" and he hates that.

Before my 36th birthday when all this started I had no previous psychiatric history and neither did any of my family aside from a little anxiety here and there, If you were to tell my friends and family before then that I would spend time on a ward for acute mental disorders they would have laughed at you.

I hate to ask a woman her age but how old were you when it happened?

DiAnna

DiAnna

45, I started hearing the “neighbors” talking thru the walls . They would yell at me for ease dropping . From there they turned into criticizing every move I make and any past mistakes. Over and over I hear them( two voices) Ma Ma and Amanda . They tell me I am doomed etc. pretty text book. I just want the quiet back in my mind .

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I've seen that they can manifest at any age, a woman I go to groups with was 61 when she went through psychosis and started hearing voices, she lost a partner of 14 years because of it, he completely abandoned her.

I'd love some quiet too, I haven't had any for over three years now. I'd give my voice practically anything (within reason) to just shut up for an hour or two.

I've offered him so much in the past but he still claims he's unable to stop talking like it's compulsive or he suffers from ADHD or he's just making up for 36 years of not talking to me.

Talking to him once again, time with the body (I learned that he can imagine where he wants me to move and I do it so it's like he has control over the body, I used to let him play video games and take showers which he seemed to enjoy) and money aren't enough to get him to stop talking, I think he's just simply insane for turning down my offer.

OCDguy

OCDguy

If you look beyond these voices, may I ask how do you feel about yourself :hug:

S

sallimae76

try changing meds. Injectable shots of invega sustena.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
And it stopped your voices or were you on it for different reasons?

How long ago were you on it and how long for?

And how are your voices now, still the same? repeating the same things over and over?

S

sallimae76

I can only assume it worked. I did hear voices still initially when I first went on it, but then the voices went away after about a month.

I still hear my same voices from the instant I wake up. A male voice crying "ape" or "I'm an ape" "I'm mad" or "We're mad" "I can't believe it" and tells me to "burn". Sometime says "whore". Sometimes says "we're dead".

DiAnna

DiAnna

If you look beyond these voices, may I ask how do you feel about yourself :hug:
I was fairly good, not perfectly happy but not unhappy either. Then the voices started and I would go for days and never leave my room . I kept thinking it was real , how could I be crazy .....

DiAnna

DiAnna

I've seen that they can manifest at any age, a woman I go to groups with was 61 when she went through psychosis and started hearing voices, she lost a partner of 14 years because of it, he completely abandoned her.

I'd love some quiet too, I haven't had any for over three years now. I'd give my voice practically anything (within reason) to just shut up for an hour or two.

I've offered him so much in the past but he still claims he's unable to stop talking like it's compulsive or he suffers from ADHD or he's just making up for 36 years of not talking to me.

Talking to him once again, time with the body (I learned that he can imagine where he wants me to move and I do it so it's like he has control over the body, I used to let him play video games and take showers which he seemed to enjoy) and money aren't enough to get him to stop talking, I think he's just simply insane for turning down my offer.
I fight mine with all my might but there is no compromise or quiet time

DiAnna

DiAnna

I can only assume it worked. I did hear voices still initially when I first went on it, but then the voices went away after about a month.

I still hear my same voices from the instant I wake up. A male voice crying "ape" or "I'm an ape" "I'm mad" or "We're mad" "I can't believe it" and tells me to "burn". Sometime says "whore". Sometimes says "we're dead".
Do you still take meds?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Hearing Voices Forum 5