• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Seeking Advice on Dealing With Intense Feelings That Come With Depression or Art

C

Chubby Eagle

For some context, I’ve started to really buckle down and deal with my depression in the last four months. I see a therapist weekly and am taking medication – 200mg of Wellbutrin – and Seroquel for sleep. I have Major Depressive Disorder, which I’ve been dealing with on and off again since I was 18 (I’m 27 now).

But… I could use some advice.

I have a solid full-time job. I workout almost every day. And I’m not abusing substances or anything. I have a good life and a support system I’m working on building. I feel like I’m making progress, even if it is slow.

Regardless, on my worst days, I’ll wake up and feel as if all the color and vigor has been sucked out of the world. On the “best” (maybe I should say lightest) days of dealing with my depression, I feel very melancholy, but I can’t cry. I’m a sensitive person, and sometimes it feels as if these sad feelings will overwhelm me. They make me extremely uncomfortable and it can be really distressing when my day starts off in a low mood. It almost makes me feel like I’m choking inside…. if that even makes sense.

Sometimes stuff will trigger these feelings. For example, I was rewatching an old show I loved as a kid — Inuyasha. It’s pretty pulpy and goofy at this age, but I was having fun with it.

However, when the ending credits ran, a song played that made me extremely nostalgic and depressed, so much so that it ruined my mood for the rest of the day. I tried to go for a walk, but it didn’t really help that much. I’m also with my parents right now because of the whole COVID-19 thing, and I felt too embarrassed to tell my parents that an anime has brought up a lot of difficult feelings for me to handle.

The thing is – it was just a song – I feel as if I shouldn’t be so affected by media and art like this. Yes, art can create these feelings, but I guess I’m really struggling with how to process negative emotions like sadness, etc when they come up. I don’t want to give up stuff that I love and I do enjoy experiencing a wide variety of art, regardless of the tone. I guess I feel like something is wrong with me.

Here’s the song, by the way:

I guess what I’m asking is

If any of you have felt like this when dealing with depressive feelings that feel like a lot, what do you do to find relief or process them?

Have any works of art, whether be a song or show or a novel, made you feel a wave of depression or melancholy that’s too much to handle? If they have, how do you work through this?

Thank so much for reading or for any advice. Anything helps!

Z

Zoe1

hi Chubby Eagle :welcome: !

thanks for your share , yes I definitely find art and music helpful
soemteims I have gone on a Youtube trip !
you know at the side of the page there are songs related
to the one you started off with
I will follow the thread and on to the next one
to see where I end up !

and try to write your own, even better !
dont worry about what other people think
just make it it is so healing

:grouphug:🧡🌻:goodluck:💜🎼:)

Ramson mash

Ramson mash

Taking a break
Music and Art can affect us on a certain level which is difficult to explain. To be a creator or an artist can feel like a curse and a gift.
I identify it as my soul, which is tuned into a dimension where melody has substance and makes sense of the world. Bear with me. Its like an idea where you see different melodies as gifts to the universe. The placement of these gifts can spark something which will make you realise your genius. And what it stands for. But also your flaws and humble you as a human.
Its a tragic journey, and it all started from 'The Land before Time' end credits.
Try to enjoy your emotions and the way art makes you feel. Remember that you are tuned in well to this frequency and this makes you a certain archetype of individual, the curse is a gift.

Ramson mash

Ramson mash

Taking a break

Might be worth watching this Eagle, its better than my explanation.

K

Kmw

Sometimes for me a song will give me bad feelings and bring back old hurt. But I try and replace it with a song that gives me happy feelings like in a time in your life that felt happy. Stay strong my friend.

B

Bet

For some context, I’ve started to really buckle down and deal with my depression in the last four months. I see a therapist weekly and am taking medication – 200mg of Wellbutrin – and Seroquel for sleep. I have Major Depressive Disorder, which I’ve been dealing with on and off again since I was 18 (I’m 27 now).

But… I could use some advice.

I have a solid full-time job. I workout almost every day. And I’m not abusing substances or anything. I have a good life and a support system I’m working on building. I feel like I’m making progress, even if it is slow.

Regardless, on my worst days, I’ll wake up and feel as if all the color and vigor has been sucked out of the world. On the “best” (maybe I should say lightest) days of dealing with my depression, I feel very melancholy, but I can’t cry. I’m a sensitive person, and sometimes it feels as if these sad feelings will overwhelm me. They make me extremely uncomfortable and it can be really distressing when my day starts off in a low mood. It almost makes me feel like I’m choking inside…. if that even makes sense.

Sometimes stuff will trigger these feelings. For example, I was rewatching an old show I loved as a kid — Inuyasha. It’s pretty pulpy and goofy at this age, but I was having fun with it.

However, when the ending credits ran, a song played that made me extremely nostalgic and depressed, so much so that it ruined my mood for the rest of the day. I tried to go for a walk, but it didn’t really help that much. I’m also with my parents right now because of the whole COVID-19 thing, and I felt too embarrassed to tell my parents that an anime has brought up a lot of difficult feelings for me to handle.

The thing is – it was just a song – I feel as if I shouldn’t be so affected by media and art like this. Yes, art can create these feelings, but I guess I’m really struggling with how to process negative emotions like sadness, etc when they come up. I don’t want to give up stuff that I love and I do enjoy experiencing a wide variety of art, regardless of the tone. I guess I feel like something is wrong with me.

Here’s the song, by the way:

I guess what I’m asking is

If any of you have felt like this when dealing with depressive feelings that feel like a lot, what do you do to find relief or process them?

Have any works of art, whether be a song or show or a novel, made you feel a wave of depression or melancholy that’s too much to handle? If they have, how do you work through this?

Thank so much for reading or for any advice. Anything helps!
Hi, from the movie, are u in Europe?
Well, music is my passion, and I don't understand people at all who it seems that music is just not one of their things.
I think most do do that though. Sometimes it is so unexpected, and will take you to a sad or hurtful time, and you're right back there. I think most people just like to watch a good tear jerker movie once in a while. They are usually very popular.
I. The same way that music etc can sadden you, there is that music that gives you a lift, makes u want to dance around the room etc. People usually know what that is for them. So when u feel overwhelmed switch to your happy music. This is life. There are always going to things that make us feel sad or hurt, but try not to dwell on it.
Sounds like u are majorly on a great path. Keep it up and good luck in your journy.

N

Nukelavee

I pretty much disagree with what Peterson says, all of it. Except the idea that post modernism is destructive .

His whole spiel about neo marxism and post modernism is kinda crap and self serving. IT's ironic, because his idea of how artists create, is pretty much the post modern ideal.

Artistic talent isn't a curse, unless your ambitions exceed your talent.

Yes, creating art requires problem solving; no, the object isn't simply a side effect.

Art can be about a new horizon, it can also be revisiting the old, reminding us of what we already have seen and done, and reminding us of the value of our past.

Oh - Summer Breeze, by Crosby, Stills, and Nash, terrifies me.