seeking a diagnosis for ADHD?

O

omm

hi guys
i was just wondering if anyone had any insight on the topic of seeking a diagnosis for a condition your doctor has never mentioned but, from reading, sounds like it might apply to you.
ive been treated for depression and anxiety but recently ive been wondering if i might have adhd. i dont want to push for a diagnosis for something i dont have though, and may well be wrong. of course, i would not expect anyone on these forums to tell me whether i have it or not, as i would ultimately talk to my doctor. but any advice welcome!

the situation is as such: i have an extremely hard time focusing, there have been points when forcing myself to focus i.e. in writing an essay has been almost painful. for a long time i assumed this was laziness/low motivation, which caused me to procrastinate and focus on other things. while this is kind of true, i have also been putting myself in situations where i have blocked all non-work related websites, and known i had to get the work done VERY SOON, and known it was doable (even to the extent where i had managed to make an essay plan n gather sources) but i just couldnt write more than half a sentence or even a word without losing focus. my brain is just so noisy and messy. im really 'slow' since it takes so long for me to pursue a train of thought in my head. i know brain fogginess can be a symptom of depression but this is the case even when im feeling ok (im on antidepressants and my mood is mostly ok atm)
i can also have overwhelming bursts of energy and craving for stimuli. quiet is terrifying and i always have too many tabs up, often consuming multiple pieces of media at a time (and not fully processing any of them)
full disclosure: i have an overactive thyroid sometimes which can cause hyperactivity/poor focus, but these symptoms are the case even when it is stabilised/overtreated.

so yeah those are the reasons why i think its a possibility, but given the other conditions i have, being told i dont have it is also a possibility. also, in the UK at least, in order to get a diagnosis you have to have signs of this before the age of 12 i think. i have absolutely no recollection of what i was like then (i am 22 now). i know i was kind of quiet and i liked cats. i definitely wasnt the stereotypical hyper adhd kid. although it might be worth noting my mum believes she has undiagnosed adhd.

ultimately my problem is. is it dangerous/unhealthy for me to be trying to pin my flaws on just another undiagnosed illness? as if getting a diagnosis will make everything make sense and 'fix' me? i am desperate to understand why i am like this. studying for my degree has been almost unsustainable. im meant to be smart, when school was simpler i got good grades. but now theres so much to read and write and manage and its like im unable to think. i would be pleased with a diagnosis i think, and would be interested in medication. living in my mind is exhausting and so messy. but what if i am not diagnosed? what if i am told no, thats just you? you just have to try harder?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The only way you can solve this is by getting a referral there are diagnostic tests that can be done. And they will look into your history and possible want to talk to your family. I don’t think adhd is something that develops in adulthood it’s there from childhood. So you-and your family would know if you had problems at school.

Do you think it might just be the stress of the work that is causing you to lack concentration. I hope this helps

Daf:hug:

O

omm

yeah i suppose i was just asking about others' experiences and also maybe tips on not getting too invested in getting a diagnosis. i appreciate i am quite naive about adhd still
as i said i dont really recall how i was at school aside from being a bit of a daydreamer and not a particularly fast worker, so i would have to ask my parents. id be nervous to do this since i havent ever talked to them about my mental health.

and yes of course i have considered that it is just stress but it does seem pretty constant and i do feel like i can point to some consistencies with how i was in my teenage years etc. like i could never focus in quite a lot of classes, i just wasnt loud or noticable so i dont know if anyone noticed how little attention i was paying except me lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PinkCandyFloss Other Conditions and Experiences 6