• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Seeing 'pictures' in my head

C

celticlass

I wonder what people make of this. So last night, before I could fall asleep, I had yet another scene that I could see in my mind's eye. It was a circular scene of what at first appeared to be sperm swimming about trying to catch each other. As I watched they grew larger turning into what you might describe as tadpoles. I tend to experience things when I close my eyes. Just at some times. At the moment my mood seems to be a little high/low is what seems to over it. I have talked before of getting very clear pictures of faces from the past - not people I know. I believed them to be dead people. So I just wonder what others think ...

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I blame the voice I hear for images in my mind, now before you roll your eyes and say here goes NWiddi blaming voices for everything again hear me out lol.

What if we're not alone in our heads and my voice is exactly what I believe it to be? A second consciousness that shares my brain with me, it seems to share my headspace and can put words in my mind like my own thoughts but these words are completely out of my control and it can put images into my minds eye.

It does exactly what I believe yours is doing to you, it will throw up still images and little mind movies into my mind especially while my eyes are closed and I'm trying to sleep.

HLon99

HLon99

Sounds like some kind of dissociative episode. I used to get something similar when I was severely depressed. Would you say that currently in an episode or experiencing any kinds of symptoms of psychosis? Are you still taking your medication, and if so which ones?

B

Blackwolf

I sometimes see pictures too. And I have random flashbacks from the past. I can be busy doing something and a random thought appears, reminding me of a long forgotten moment of embarrassment or something that hurts. Most of the time I feel cringe when it happens

C

celticlass

I blame the voice I hear for images in my mind, now before you roll your eyes and say here goes NWiddi blaming voices for everything again hear me out lol.

What if we're not alone in our heads and my voice is exactly what I believe it to be? A second consciousness that shares my brain with me, it seems to share my headspace and can put words in my mind like my own thoughts but these words are completely out of my control and it can put images into my minds eye.
Interesting. I do sometimes have a voice but it seems to remain IN my head
Occasionally I do get something that is out with me. I get confused about all this seeing and hearing things because of my spiritual beliefs. I think I am psychic you see. But also on a very frequent basis I have I guess hallucinate someone standing in front of me. I mean a person I knew. I absolutely thought it was them. It was someone I had a bit of an obsession about. Thank you for your reply.

It does exactly what I believe yours is doing to you, it will throw up still images and little mind movies into my mind especially while my eyes are closed and I'm trying to sleep.

C

celticlass

I sometimes see pictures too. And I have random flashbacks from the past. I can be busy doing something and a random thought appears, reminding me of a long forgotten moment of embarrassment or something that hurts. Most of the time I feel cringe when it happens
Oh I get those kind of thoughts also. It is not nice, just reminding me of the dreadful things that I have done. Thanks

C

celticlass

Sounds like some kind of dissociative episode. I used to get something similar when I was severely depressed. Would you say that currently in an episode or experiencing any kinds of symptoms of psychosis? Are you still taking your medication, and if so which ones?
I am very much on my medication, every single dose being taken. Contact with psychiatry about once a month as my medication is going upward. Waiting to see what a higher dose of Venlafaxine is doing for me. Then there is a decision to be made about whether I start Lamotrogine or not. I would say that I have not really felt for quite some time. I think my whole mood is a little elevated.

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

I get this too - scary isn't it

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

This is what I've come across in my personal research. We humans have ourselves and we are impacted by a separate negative entity. You can call it voices, thoughts, hallucinations or whatever you want but it's just one entity which is why they are all of similar nature and we get bothered by them. Give it it's space to shout and don't dwell on it otherwise it grows. Keep your mind busy and your body healthy it's actually weaker than you think.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I've had something similar but mine was more like an endless stream of patterns and images, jumping from one to the next, almost too quick to take note of. I used to get them as I lay in bed, very much still awake, but with eyes closed. There is something to do with dreaming that you could read into that may or may not explain things. It's like a pre-sleep dream...thing! It's weird. I remember looking into it as I searched for answers but I can't remember what it's called. The only other thing I found that was similar was a drug induced state (usually illicit drugs), but although it sounded like what I was experiencing, it clearly wasn't that as I don't do drugs.
I saw it as my mind racing but instead of just thinking things endlessly like it sometimes does, it was pulling these images out of the depths of my brain, almost like a spinning wheel that couldn't stop, my brain couldn't stop, but in time it would. I remember one such instance when I saw endless patterns, like a kaleidoscope, and I actually lay there smiling at it all, like it was some kind of entertainment. When I mentioned it to my psych he looked at me like I was truly nuts and didn't have a clue what I was talking about! That being said, if you're seeing faces of what you believe to be dead people then that's a whole other ball game of scary. Maybe try going back to exercising good sleep hygeine so that when you get into bed your body and mind are ready for sleep, see if that helps in the short-term. Long term, if it persists, then you've got to be thinking about mentioning it to a doc, just in case it gets worse and maybe even ends up preventing you from sleeping.

C

celticlass

I've had something similar but mine was more like an endless stream of patterns and images, jumping from one to the next, almost too quick to take note of. I used to get them as I lay in bed, very much still awake, but with eyes closed. There is something to do with dreaming that you could read into that may or may not explain things. It's like a pre-sleep dream...thing! It's weird. I remember looking into it as I searched for answers but I can't remember what it's called. The only other thing I found that was similar was a drug induced state (usually illicit drugs), but although it sounded like what I was experiencing, it clearly wasn't that as I don't do drugs.
I saw it as my mind racing but instead of just thinking things endlessly like it sometimes does, it was pulling these images out of the depths of my brain, almost like a spinning wheel that couldn't stop, my brain couldn't stop, but in time it would. I remember one such instance when I saw endless patterns, like a kaleidoscope, and I actually lay there smiling at it all, like it was some kind of entertainment. When I mentioned it to my psych he looked at me like I was truly nuts and didn't have a clue what I was talking about! That being said, if you're seeing faces of what you believe to be dead people then that's a whole other ball game of scary. Maybe try going back to exercising good sleep hygeine so that when you get into bed your body and mind are ready for sleep, see if that helps in the short-term. Long term, if it persists, then you've got to be thinking about mentioning it to a doc, just in case it gets worse and maybe even ends up preventing you from sleeping.
Thanks. The pictures of people that I sensed were dead would either pop up from 'below' one after the other in quick succession or run across my field of vision like a film strip. I am not experiencing this at the moment. I do see swirling patterns a lot of time but that is a very gentle calm experience. As I say I have sat in spiritual development circles. So one explanation could be that this is my clairvoyance/clairaudience. Who knows. I guess I am just bonkers.