• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Seeing myself as a specific person I don't want to

J

JohnDoeIdentity

Hello I'm new here, I hope this is the right spot.

I'm bothered by literally seeing myself as a specific celebrity I can't stand. The more hate I have for this celebrity, like a finger trap, the stronger I see myself as them. This has been going on for a decade and completely ruins my mood very often.

It started with only a simple comment all the way back over a decade ago my brother said that I "kind of" look like this actor. It bothered me then and a decade later it still consumes my thoughts often.

I've stared at this actors face next to mine and although I see differences on every single facial feature, I can't stop feeling like him.

I stopped watching the show this actor is on because of this and can't even look at it with my mood being ruined for a week. Worse is my brother is obsessed with this show.

I honestly have no idea even what this is or how to overcome it.

Help would be infinitely appreciated.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.

So would you say this all started with your brother's comment? Has anybody else suggested you have a resemblance to this actor?

Also, i'm wondering why you dislike this celebrity? Is it that they generally aren't very popular or is there more to it than that?

I'll be honest with you, I couldn't say what this sounds like or if it's an illness because I have no idea.
Putting it simply, ideally you'd need to accept that you don't look like this person or to perhaps find out more about them and come to look upon this actor favourably.

Of course, it may be worth speaking to a professional who has some training and would be able to give you more informed guidance.

I'm sorry if that wasn't much help to you.

J

JohnDoeIdentity

No, no one else has ever said I do. Thanks for the reply!

Addressing this to other people for the first time has actually helped me do some self digging.

Also please excuse I don't list the actor's name for my own reasons.

I've had a lot of time to think about this over the years and I honestly think it's a blow to my very fragile ego.

I think this actor is very very ugly so when I even heard "kinda look like" over a decade ago it broke what little perception of my identity I have. I think that's my main problem, I don't know who I am.

I feel like a chameleon at times not knowing how others see me in the slightest.

I don't want to hate anyone, and want to make mental amends. But constantly feeling like this actor has caused intense self hatred.

Perhaps knowing the problem can lead to baby steps how I can finally overcome this very unwanted obsession.

J

JohnDoeIdentity

I'm feeling suicidal today, I can't stop seeing myself as someone I absolutely hate every moment. Attempting to make amends doesn't do jack, I can't stop seeing this person as the mental image of myself.

How do I even describe this to people I actually know? A comment so small and so long ago still bothering me everyday? I'd be laughed at.

I see people having real problems here and feel like this is nothing, yet these nonstop obsessive thoughts make me want to seriously end my life.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't think your problem is nothing - it sounds like it's causing you a lot of distress.

The fact that you're mentioning feeling suicidal is not good. I really think you should seek out the help of a professional, if you can.
I can imagine that you might feel a bit awkward seeking help, but a good professional won't judge you.

Going back to the suicidal thing, if you really are considering acting on those thoughts then reach out for some more urgent help. I get that this is really distressing for you, but it's not worth you taking your life.
With a good therapist there's a very high chance you can work through this.