Seeing my gp

P

philips

So I think I might be at the start of another episode and I've got an appointment with my gp for it but I'm worried about how honest to be with them. It's a gp I haven't seen before and I know that shouldn't make a difference but somehow it does. I have a thing about not wanting to take medication and I'm worried if I tell them everything I'll either end up back in hospital or ill be forced to take the medication. My other big concern is that if I do tell them everything they'll think I'm exaggerating. Any words of advice/encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. I am diagnosed with bipolar and know only too well how horrible taking meds can be. But I just don't want to ever go back to the swinging out of control again. Its awful and terrible for all my family and friends too. So I take them. I do understand that they make you slightly more numb and too balanced almost. But that is your choice.

I would suggest though that you are honest with your GP and tell them all that's going on and that you don't want to take meds. Its their job to work with you. I doubt they will send you into hospital, there aren't enough beds! But don't let it get out of control yet. No-one will think you are exaggerating if you have a history of this.

M

megirl

All the best for seeing the gp, a good place to start.
I say to people that if you think you are not ok, then you aren't ok.
Be honest how you're feeling is that, then you can get the the help you need.
Things will get better truly they will.
All the best