• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sectioning

G

Greysunday

Do you think that now in 2010 any moderate presenting problems on first evaluation by a psychiatrist would see a patient sent home for community support, whereas several years ago, at the very least a voluntary admission would have been suggested. I only ask, because i am seeing my psych for the first time in two weeks and getting paranoid she doesn't see me on my worst day. I have good family and friends support, only a problem when i venture too much into reality. Couldn't stand being around people all the time. OCD and Dissociative Disorder sufferer ( derealization ).

T

Twylight

I know what you mean
I had a recent breakdown and was only hospitalised for 8 days - it should have been at least a month
I recovered in the community
I feel sorry for the community

G

Greysunday

Sorry for your recent problems, hope life has improved for you. The point I was trying to make was; has the criteria for hospitalization changed either compulsory or voluntary? The lack of in-patient services and more community would lead me to believe where once a psychiatrist would suggest a short stay in hospital, now back to the GP etc.

A

antipsionic

Legally the grounds for compulsory hospitalisation (at least here in the UK) is that you present a danger to yourself or others. When I've been really suicidal the only times I've been sectioned is when I've refused to come into hospital as a voluntary patient, though this was some years ago.

I'd say at the moment the NHS is trying to avoid hospitalising people unless they have to.

T

Talith

There is hope out there you know. God knows where, but there is. I have tried to commit suicide about 30 times in my life, but always survived. Pills, slashing wrists, self harming. I got to the conclusion that it is not my time to go, so have resigned myself to the inevitable and am trying hard to make the best of it. There must be a reason why I am still alive, I've still to find out what it is though! I'm very agoraphobic and have terrible panic attacks, but sometimes it helps me when I help someone else. This is where this forum comes in. I have found it a tremendous support to be able to let my feelings out in my journal, I don't care if no one ever reads it, at least I can let my suppressed feelings out at last.
Try and laugh at least once a day, our kid. Your family and friends sound very supportive and keep posting your feelings.
Talith

G

Greysunday

Is Hell really other people?

Thanks for the reply. " Do no harm " a Drs. code. Shame NHS don't operate like the Priory and and have single rooms and good art therapy. What I've seem it seems like you sleep in a public school dorm and have little privacy. About time more money was put into NHS care. Being in hospital would cause me more problems. Like the petty thief sent to prison, who then comes out the master criminal.

SimonB

SimonB

In the northwest near Warrington was a large psychiatric hospital called Winwick Hospital. It was the largest psychiatric hospital in europe at one point. I went home a few weeks ago and happened to drive past the grounds, the hospital which was massive on large grounds, had vanished, in its place were new homes.

I felt quite sad as my uncle was treated there, and I had worked there on a voluntary basis with a view to becoming a mental health nurse, and instead bcame a general [adult] nurse.

Its not just the mental health services that are being pushed out into the community though, so are the rest us. Being treated at home is fine if you can cope, but if you can't....???

Your psychiatrist should ask how you are at your worst and when more lucid. I was voluntarily admitted a 3 yrs ago, but am convinced I would have been sectioned if I hadn't.

The issue is whether you are at risk.:)

A

antipsionic

Grey,

I wouldn't worry about being put into hospital on a first visit to a psych doc. Hospital is the last resort for treatment these days, its cheaper to treat you in the community. From your posts I'd say you are intelligent and articulate and have good support in the community so they aren't going to put you in hospital.

As for the quality of accommodation well I've been in a hospital where we had our own rooms with en-suite shower and toilet but shit quality nurses and doctors. I've also been in accomodation in dorms where the doctors and nurses were really good and there was always a health care assistant willing to play a game of scrabble or something similar with you. There were also a few rooms that were single occupancy there. Anyway thats a bit irrelevant as trust me they aren't going to put you on a ward unless there is absolutely no alternative.

G

Greysunday

Thanks for all your support. Sometimes you feel you have totally lost the plot and unable to logically even make yourself a cuppa. Feel as though I am living a dream where if a trusted friend told me i had or hadn't done something it wouldn't take much to believe them, contrary to what i held true. As i say, i am ok when in my comfort zone. You stick me in an office, for example, I would loose lucidity, obsessions and dissociation would run riot.

SimonB

SimonB

Yes been there too....can be quite disruptive, but if you can find a way to manage it you should, that doesn't mean an admission to hospital as Antipsychotic says.

T

Talith

Hi

You are obviously a very intelligent and articulate person, some of your writings are very poetic and I can see pictures in the words you put together.

"If a book is well written then the reader will be there in every word"
Talith

P

pinkmetalgirl

Hey :)

In my experience the criteria for admission to hospital is much stricter than it was about 6 or 7 years back. I've had lots of admissions back between 1998 - 2004. With ward closures and crisis resolution teams, the drive is to keep people out of hospital where possible.

Whilst this is great from where I'm at now (struggling with paranoia after withdrawing from meds a while back) as a few years back I'd probably be threatened with a section by now. I've managed to be struggling with psychosis a few times since coming off meds and haven't been dragged into hospital once as I'm lucky enough to have good support at home and have a few coping strategies to draw on.

The downside is that I know people that would really like to go into hospital because they're support at home isn't so good and they feel really bad (and would like some extra support).

As far as I can tell, the decisions about admitting people are based more on perceived risk than whether someone wants/needs the extra support.

Having said that, different areas/units have different ways of doing things (and different levels of being oversubscribed).

I've found voluntary sector projects to be much more helpful in providing support when I'm in a crisis - including Mind, Rethink and Network for Change (a leicester based org). It's a real shame that the support on offer is so patchy, but there is stuff out there.

Good luck in getting the support that's right for you. Warm thoughts and smiles

x PMG