Sectioning and what to take with me

S

Susimickey

Good evening, i have an unusual question that i havent been able to find an answer to anywhere and was hoping someone here could help me out. I have bpd and my partner of ten years and i have just split up, only happened a few hours ago so im still in a very numb stage which is good, and i plan on hospitalising myself as i know that as soon as i let the emotions back in im going to do something that i may regret, if i do things wrong.
Now my question is what would i need to take with me to hospital and what would be advisable to take?
I enjoy reading and i play on a ds system and i dont want to be sat around thinking, this is very bad for me. But i dont know what is allowed to be taken in and what is safe to take in.
Any help would be appreciated, also just for anyone who wonders i have thought this out very much and so far having professional help is my best option. I have two people who i could count as friends (im kinda antisocial) and my family is very messed up.
Thank you for reading and i hope someone can answer my question

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Take your ds system.
Take a good book or e-reader. (They probably have a library there).
Take a bottle of juice and an apple.

S

Susimickey

Thank you, what about clothes? I dont know what to wear to go or if i can wear street clothes. im kinda really scared but the other options are scarier, ive read a lot of bad things but it still seems like the best option because it means that i may stay alive, ive just gotten myself into bed (my other half, sorry former, has convinced me that i need to sleep at home and see how things are in the morning) and when taking my tablets i was so tempted to take all of the tablets i have in the drawer (valerian, cocodamol, paracetamol, ibruprofen, and some other bits) but knowing that i may be able to get help stopped me, but only just.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Yes you may need some clothes too.

Maybe you will feel better tomorrow. :)

S

Susimickey

Prehaps, but im not sure i will if im honest, i hope i do, but thankyou for all your help

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Try breathing techniques, too.

Some meditation, if possible. Mindfulness. So lay in a comfortable position and concentrate on your breathing. When a thought, any thought comes into your head, let it go and concentrate on your breathing again.

Breathing techniques vary. Different ones wrk for different people. Just do what works for you. So breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.

C

Coast2

A voluntary section is so much better than a formal section. I think you are very wise to recognise your illness and request an admittance.

When I was in hospital the patients wore casual, comfortable clothes, so things like jeans, leggings, tracksuit bottoms and sweatshirts.

I had a very positive experience of hospital. The food was good, there were daily activities like baking, painting and yoga. And I used the gym every day. The psychologists were kind and helpful, as were the support workers. I was discharged after three weeks, and felt a whole lot better after being cared for properly.

I'm sure you'll feel much better after a period of hospitalisation, and as I said, it is far better to do it as a voluntary patient than to go in under an enforced section.

Try not to worry about clothing and what to wear. Just take things you feel comfortable in and make sure to pack some night clothes.

My best wishes.

When In Rome

When In Rome

Best wishes and good luck Susimickey. It may happen to me sooner or later but the stay may be more permanent than your own, if it's a short period then essential clothing like enough undies and pj's, oh and a dressing gown, toiletries too, important, maybe some books to read and like me if you find music therapeutic then take an mp3 player, I guess it depends also what items are allowed in hospitals these days, a lot of main hospitals you have to keep your mobile phone switched off, maybe someone else will write if they know things that you aren't allowed.

C

Coast2

When i was in hospital we were able to use a washing machine and tumble dryer, which helped enormously.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Hospital was a pleasant experience for me, but I must admit when I was in I tried my hardest to get released. But it was nice. I remember I thought I was on a spaceship, because when I looked out of the window I could not see any people.

I used to go to the shop to buy sweets.

When I got released, my parents were really nice, and they had cleaned my room, it was nice.

F

fidget

yeah i've never been able to relax into it, i am always focused on getting out. It makes me anxious and withdrawn being around people that much, it is too much for me. It is probably better if you just go with the flow and focus on yourself.

Hope you wake up feeling better susiemickey, and whatever happens you are alright. I wouldn't worry too much about what you take - you can't take obvious things like sharps or anything that can be used for self harm etc but if you go they will go through your stuff when you get there to check its all ok. And things you can't keep on you (like chargers) they will put in the nurses station. If you ask to be admitted then you will go in as an informal patient so you will be able to go home again during the day if you have forgotten something you need. One thing though is there is a massive shortage of beds so don't be disheartened if they cannot admit you straight away. Good luck with everything

S

Susimickey

Good afternoon, just wanted to update everyone on what has happened, incase anyone was interested. Ive been in touch with my gp who contacted the crisis team, they are arraning a place at a day hospital for me tomorrow.

Chopsy

Chopsy

Good evening, i have an unusual question that i havent been able to find an answer to anywhere and was hoping someone here could help me out. I have bpd and my partner of ten years and i have just split up, only happened a few hours ago so im still in a very numb stage which is good, and i plan on hospitalising myself as i know that as soon as i let the emotions back in im going to do something that i may regret, if i do things wrong.
Now my question is what would i need to take with me to hospital and what would be advisable to take?
I enjoy reading and i play on a ds system and i dont want to be sat around thinking, this is very bad for me. But i dont know what is allowed to be taken in and what is safe to take in.
Any help would be appreciated, also just for anyone who wonders i have thought this out very much and so far having professional help is my best option. I have two people who i could count as friends (im kinda antisocial) and my family is very messed up.
Thank you for reading and i hope someone can answer my question
i would always try & take my music (headphones, Mp3 player, cassette player, C.D player etc. ) and the means to keep this devices going. eg. battteries, more supply of batteries (or money to buy some more) Mp3 lead to re-charge the device.

Sometimes this attempt would be sucessful & i would get the support of 'music' other times the music would get 'removed' from me for one reason & another.

otherwise i would take the same as what i would if i was planning any other 'spell' / amount of time in hospital.

i took my diary once, also my own duvet & pillow.

The last few times i thought i might get Hospitalised (june this year) i took EVERYthing i possibly could, including drinks & vegan meal shakes & the soya milk to go with them, also i took items to crochet with.

The A & E. staff said i had enough 'stuff' for a 3 mths stay ! ... lol

'take everything, but the kitchen sink' woman that's me.

Some items they will remove from you for safe keeping & you have to ask permission & have supervision to use them. eg. a sewing needle, nailclippers, a razor, nail vanish, scissors

Take Money. they will keep it for you probably, but i always found i needed / wanted money.

Also a radio.

also my watch (to know the time at night without leaving my room)

When In Rome

When In Rome

Also a radio
Good idea. I have a DAB radio then with headphones you could find solace in Radio 4 (other stations are available).

M

Melchy

Depends on the sort of ward it is. ie. Whether you have your own room or not.

Combats with loads of pockets. Things tend to 'go missing', and that's annoying at best.
Anything to cover up the smell of people who are not washing as they should. You have to wing this..... Any sort of liquid which could be considered a poison or fire threat will be taken off you.
Anything and everything to deal with extreme boredom.
Your own food and drink. Hospital food is dreadful. So take non perishable items.

But probably the best thing to take with you is a backup plan should you decide that going 'in' was a bad idea. Even if you go in 'voluntary', that can change once they have you under their 'care'. ie. Yes, you came in voluntarily, but we NOW SUGGEST VERY STRONGLY that you stay...... voluntarily..... (Or else).

C

Coast2

It would be outside I would imagine or in a dedicated room somewhere. What about vaping?
Yes, it was outside in a communal courtyard with benches, plants and flowers. Vaping wasn't allowed inside, but again, it was permitted in the courtyard.

F

Funnyday

Take your 'wits' as you need these to be 'about you'. Hospital is not a safe place. You're locked up with some people who will lose their temper due to being held against their will. Fights can happen.

Take a radio and a power cord. Plenty of clothing. A bag you can carry round, for you to place valuables in. So you don't have to leave anything unattended in your room. As it will get stolen.