sectioned under home office

P

paddyroo

Hello all, looking for help or information.
My nephew has been ill with schizophrenia for the past 9 years, ( he is 24 yrs old with a mental capacity of about 14 yrs old) his mother does not want anything to do with him. His sister and I tried all avenues to get him the help he needed but was denied access to Mental Health, it was very traumatic for all concerned. he eventually due to his thought process and no insight set fire to a hostel he was staying in..... that event led him to prison where he eventually got the help he needed and was transferred to a Forensic ward and stayed there for thirty months..

He was released back into the community 14 months ago.. his care package was just awful ..no care! he now again lost insight and has been recalled back to a PICU unit..( even though he was again in a hostel for mental health clients .

We have again met with a brick wall trying to get information..he has given permission for us to be told anything that affects his recovery.. we had to insist on seeing the Physiatrist that is currently treating him and was met with hostility from the TEAM when we asked about him .

we have been told that he is not ill enough to be on a PICU unit and a transfer is going to happen to a different hospital when the home office give permission. the hospital he is going to be transferred to is not good ( due to previous dealings with another member of the family we managed in that case to get him moved due to the number of complaints we had and a apology and we will improve our service. that never happened despite assurances)

We do not want to go down the road of complaints again even that is traumatic,

We want him in a mental health unit that is closer to us , how do we go about asking for that to happen and can we? My nephew also does not want to go to that particular unit... does he or we have any rights to where he can be treated? thanks all

Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley

I don't imagine either he or you has any say in the matter, but I'm not an expert. Your local council has a free advocacy service. You could see if they'll talk to you about your options, if you have any.

My guess is that all you can do is go down the complaint route again. Maybe it would help to write a very respectful letter to the psychiatrist setting out what you'd like to happen, adding that your previous complaint was upheld and if you have to complain again you'll involve the national press (even if that's just a bluff).

N

nightmare57

From what I know about section 37/41's is that their incredible hard to get off, we had a admission when I was in hospital previously and he was out of hospital in the community for years and having taking I'll with early onset dementia they revoked his section and he was straight back on his section 37/41 even though he did nothing wrong, I think with forensics they do what they please

L

Lilac

From what I know about section 37/41's is that their incredible hard to get off, we had a admission when I was in hospital previously and he was out of hospital in the community for years and having taking I'll with early onset dementia they revoked his section and he was straight back on his section 37/41 even though he did nothing wrong, I think with forensics they do what they please
Same with section 3 they are punishing me (they have taken my liberty) in case I misbehave which I never have done and think about it if one of the nutty mh staff members locked my delusional father up my father would in no way think that staff member was well behaved and I would suggest that the staff member who is going to break into my property next week without me asking for anyone to come and without needing to see a medic the staff member breaking into my property is a) delusional and b) if he was treated like me he wouldn't think the staff members were well behaved.