Section 3 and going abroad

M

mountainfrog

I have been told that if you've been sectioned on a section three your only allowed to travel within the E.U from the UK. Due to being turned down for visa's. I looked at the American immigration site and this seems to be true.

Having been on a section3 I find this ridiculous I have been abroad to France and Italy.

Does anyone have info on this are there ways around it from what I can gather I am banned from an enourmous country for life.

Please Help!! :stomp:

C

coraline1664

There is someone close to me who has recently been sectioned on a section three... I haven't heard of this before.

Does the immigration site you checked say anything about this being retracted after a certain amount of time?
Sorry I can't be of any help but I hope you can get this sorted out- hopefully others here might have more knowledge on this.

M

mountainfrog

No it doesnt say anything about being retracted.....the link from firemonkee says a letter from a doctor saying you have been stable for a number of years and there is no risk of further 'harmful behaviour' helps.

M

mountainfrog

I wonder how many other countries this applies to?

L

Lilac

I'd never heard of that and certainly had hoped to go to America at the very least and I am still sectioned and I have no idea when or if I'll be off it - I guess I'll come off some time. I was hoping to go to Lapland sometime too, when and if work gets sorted out.

M

mountainfrog

The following is taken from Londons U.S embassy website:

Travelers who have been afflicted with a disease of public health significance, a mental disorder or drug addicts / abusers
Travelers to the United States who have been afflicted with a disease of public health significance, a mental disorder which is associated with a display of harmful behavior, or are a drug abuser or addict, are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. They are required to apply for B-1 or B-2 visas.

Note:Travelers with mental illnesses can travel visa free under the VWP provided that their condition does not render them a danger to themselves or others. They may wish to carry letter from their doctor to that effect to facilitate their entry into the United States.

M

magicalunicorn666

i think if you are going away for longer than the amount of time that doesn't require then there can be problems. i have travelled internationally within a year of discharge from sections and had no problem going for a fortnight x

F

Fragile

I wonder how many other countries this applies to?
Very few (if any) of the developing or under developed countries I suspect.

There are plenty of countries where you pick up a visa at the airport, with no background checks at all.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I was applying for travel insurance recently and they did ask about this. They all said that it would bump up the premiums considerably, but it was not outside of possibility. You can always lie, but that does invalidate your insurance if you get ill on holiday. I can't see why you should tell them if you are fairly sure you are OK. Just don't get suicidal or become a homicidal maniac whilst on holiday! xxx

F

Fragile

As far as I know..

If you choose not to declare a mental health problem, and you get ill on holiday, you'll only be invalidating your insurance if that illness relates to your mental health or mental health treatment.

I choose not to insure against mental health problems last time I was away. I got a chest infection which required hospital treatment. I claimed of my travel insurance no problem.

Just don't go mental, and it'll be OK. If you do think there's a risk you'll become unstable - don't go.

T

Taliana

Thanks

This is great news , it means I can still go to he us as long as I have a letter from my Dr & I've paid for my own visa ?
Travelers who have been afflicted with a disease of public health significance, a mental disorder or drug addicts / abusers
Travelers to the United States who have been afflicted with a disease of public health significance, a mental disorder which is associated with a display of harmful behavior, or are a drug abuser or addict, are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. They are required to apply for B-1 or B-2 visas.

Note:Travelers with mental illnesses can travel visa free under the VWP provided that their condition does not render them a danger to themselves or others. They may wish to carry letter from their doctor to that effect to facilitate their entry into the United States.[/QUOTE]

A.m.b.e.r

A.m.b.e.r

I've been under section 3 and travelled to the US many times no issue, under the usual ESTA. x

L

Lilac

I have been told that if you've been sectioned on a section three your only allowed to travel within the E.U from the UK. Due to being turned down for visa's. I looked at the American immigration site and this seems to be true.

Having been on a section3 I find this ridiculous I have been abroad to France and Italy.

Does anyone have info on this are there ways around it from what I can gather I am banned from an enourmous country for life.

Please Help!! :stomp:
I know my aunt who has been committed in America and is on drugs for life has travelled to Britain so I would have thought you could travel to America.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Mental Health Act - Being Sectioned 15