• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

seasonal psychosis

M

Marcitko

Hi all,

For the past 5 years I have experienced psychosis every single winter. The rest of time I'm mostly fine (no psychotic symptoms, but the anxiety and sense of dis-ease remains).

Today I've finally had a shrink acknowledge the possibility of a connection there. This makes me very happy because for a long time now it's been a no-brainer to me that there must be a connection.

I did a bit of a google and there seems to be very little information on seasonal psychosis (lots on seasonal depression). In fact, a research article I found states that psychosis is more common in the summer. Bit confusing.

Anyway, I'm very interested to hear if anyone else seems to have a seasonal element to their psychosis?

Secondly, in my case a logical possible remedy or help would be a SAD (seasonal affective disorder) lamp. Has anyone had any experience with those, either for psychosis or other conditions?

If that does not work, I guess I'll just have to move to Tahiti in the winter :)

Thanks for any input.

Kerome

Kerome

I seem to be more vulnerable to psychosis in the late winter/spring as well. The last two years I've had semi episodes during this period. It's a small sample size, but my thoughts have also been in that direction, whether it's seasonal or affected by the fact that I've been dieting.

Moving to Tahiti in the winter sounds nice... :)

M

Marcitko

A member called "Badluck" replied here with very interesting information and a similar experince to mine.

However, the post is no longer visible, and the member cannot be found in the forum members list.

Was he/she banned or individually deleted the post and account?

I'd very much like to be in contact with this person if possible.

L

latuda2012

Don't take this as total gospel but since Histamine is an excitatory neurotransmitter it may influence Dopaminergic neurotransmission in areas of the brain associated psychosis. Antipsychotic medications are believe to work due to blocking Dopamine 2 receptors. Seasonal allergies kick up histamine levels fortunately or unfortunately all over the body including the brain. Just an idea.