• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Seasonal Effective Switch??

E

Em.toos

Hi- New to the forum, so hi everyone!

My name is Em, and after more than a decade I’m still trying to nail down what’s REALLY wrong and get a real diagnosis.

ANYWAY

Up until last year, I’ve realized I have reverse seasonal effective disorder
So-instead of having it in the winter, I have it in the summer.

Along with that, I really hated, like, HATED hot weather. And LOVED cold weather.

Now let’s have a little plot twist, shall we?
For the first time in my 21 years of existence, I’m now loving the heat and the cold is almost unbearable!

And WELL. I live in the Chicago area so when I say cold, I mean COLD.

ANYWAY. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I an alien? Experienced a shift in their SAD, or in your body’s shift in what temperature is bearable?

IM LOST

Thank you in advanced, peeps.

-Em

Mischief

Mischief

Admin
Have you done a search for this on Google scholar? It would be interesting to know if the researchers have seen this phenomenon before.

How does the SAD affect you? What differences are you noticing with the switch?

A

Alladyn1919

Hi- New to the forum, so hi everyone!

My name is Em, and after more than a decade I’m still trying to nail down what’s REALLY wrong and get a real diagnosis.

ANYWAY

Up until last year, I’ve realized I have reverse seasonal effective disorder
So-instead of having it in the winter, I have it in the summer.

Along with that, I really hated, like, HATED hot weather. And LOVED cold weather.

Now let’s have a little plot twist, shall we?
For the first time in my 21 years of existence, I’m now loving the heat and the cold is almost unbearable!

And WELL. I live in the Chicago area so when I say cold, I mean COLD.

ANYWAY. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I an alien? Experienced a shift in their SAD, or in your body’s shift in what temperature is bearable?

IM LOST

Thank you in advanced, peeps.

-Em

I,for one,honestly doubt about such a switch.Probably there may happen such a switch in terms of depressive response to temperature, but I doubt if it is possible in terms of response to daylight .SAD is caused
by the lack of sufficient exposure (of eyse,there are some relevent receptors) to daylight.Strangely enough,from what I know, it was fairly recently (in 1980 ties if I'm not mistaken) realised by scientists,medicine etc.Now there seem to be no doubt about that whatsoever.
However ,it isn't ,of course the theoretical amount of daylight outside which matters but person's exposure to it.And that may differ due to lifestyle and architecture,if you like' if depressive person stays indoors and all daylight he/she gets is through the window.For instance in winter the sun is lower on the horizon and at about a noon time it shines more through the window than in summer, such like things.Another thing is that in summer people usually wear sunglasses(and they are doing the right thing) but anyway they get much less benefit from daylight.There are also other things which may cause that in some circumstances people might actually get less daylight at a time where theoretically they shoukld get it more.

Regards

Alladyn1919