• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Scrambled Thoughts When Learning

M

MidnightMusician

Hi!

I don't know if this should have been in the social anxiety section or this one as I suffer with both. Anyway, I am at college at the moment and finding it extremely difficult to take in what I'm trying to learn.

I listen, I try to concentrate (and think I am) and try and engage as best as possible but it's making me feel stupid or something cause it just won't go in. Well some of it will, but very slowly. Is this anxiety related?

What do you do about it if it is. Just except that there's no point, cause now I haven't much time left before I have to complete some exams and think I'm going to fail.

Has anyone else had this?

G

Gredge23

I. Had this all my life , I was in special classes for maths english geography and history , I eventually got to a psychologist who done tests on me and said it was a problem processing info.
He said everything ad to be in bullet points for me or "flash cards" so I got he help I needed , but any time it came to crunch time for exams it got worse he said it's definitely the stress and anxiety of it all that's making it worse.

G

Gredge23

And as to what to do I just tried my best and got in little nuggets of info at a time even if it was just sentence to Sentence I wud take my time and try and process it as best I could.

M

MidnightMusician

So why does this happen, d'ya know? is it cause you're mind obviously isn't relaxed or to do with cognitive function?

valleygirl

valleygirl

I can totally identify with this. I am trying to study for a final exam in college, and it is pure torture. My mind jumps all over the place and it takes me 4-5 hours to read one chapter in my text book. Just like you, I don't think I am retaining much of what i am studying. I think when you are anxious it's hard to remember things. When you can't focus, it's hard to retain anything. My mind just flits around like a butterfly from one flower to the next, and there is no logical connection. I may look calm on the outside, but inside, it's like I have pin pong balls bouncing around inside my head. I can't really give you any advice, but just wanted you to know you are not alone.

M

MidnightMusician

You describe it perfectly valleygirl. So annoying, it looks like I'm going to fail it seems, the whole year wasted. I've attended every class, listened as best as I can, participated, but it seems I've only took in 50%. Just doesn't seem fair. Other people (in a different class) can attend half as much as me and seem to learn twice as much. What happens is as well, it affects your self esteem as well, so it's like a catch 22. I will feel angry and annoyed if I fail this now.

I would like to know if there's a cure for this, or how it can be dealt with. It's seriously affecting my whole life and stopping me achieving so much, and like you valleygirl, on the outside I seem like a really calm, but sadly my mind isn't.

C

Christobel

I think lack of concentration goes hand-in-hand with mental illness. In all the times I've been in hospital I have never seen anyone reading.

M

MidnightMusician

Are any of you on medication for anxiety? Has this helped your scrambled thoughts any?

V

vikmoi

sadly this is an effect of your anxiety. i have the same problem, i also take medication, and it doesn't help with concentration, it still effects me. although it really helps some of the physical symptoms.

M

MidnightMusician

sadly this is an effect of your anxiety. i have the same problem, i also take medication, and it doesn't help with concentration, it still effects me. although it really helps some of the physical symptoms.
I know I've thought about medication but for some reason I have a fear there as well. Think I may have Pharmacophobia lol!

Yeah, this scrambled mind is really frustrating. Had to leave a mock exam the other day because of it - AGAIN! I got myself really worked up because I got lost and anxious over the exam and then felt like I couldn't leave as it would make a scene in front of several other people. I did though and probably seemed totally nuts.

I have noticed recently though, that, most of the not knowing what to do in these exams comes from not knowing it to be honest, and the not knowing it is due to not being (I think) able to concentrate longer than 30 mins in class so in a 2 hour class I'm only taking a third of it in.

valleygirl

valleygirl

If I were in your position, not on any medication, and knowing what I now know about "side effects," I would try to find other ways of dealing with the anxiety. I am on a whole lot of medications, and have been trying alternative therapies to come off my meds, but it has been very difficult and haven't managed to greatly reduce any of them.

D

Darby

hi midnightmusician. I had that throughout all my education years and I didn't too well by the end of it all. I think in retrospect I can see what it was, it was worrying about being picked on by somebody in some form or another, whether it was being asked a question by the teacher and not knowing what to say and making a fool of myself. It was worrying how I looked and from what angles I was sitting and where I might look "better"? Which I think is related to BDD. So most of my thinking was spent on my appearance and a lot of it was consumed by constant anxiety of thinking of the near future like an hour or two hours and also worrying about worrying and how it was effecting my learning. Anyway I ended up quitting college because I was failing and it wasn't getting any better even if I tried extra harder than everybody else, I just couldn't "get it" like they seemed to without any worries.

The point is that this is something you should be concerned about and it's good your aware of it and I really recomend you try to see someone like a therapist who can help find out more about why your losing concentration during classes. I think anxiety will mostly always be the cause and if you can get any help whatsoever with that I'm sure it will help with your exams and education and your future. Good luck.

M

MidnightMusician

I find, and it's happening now (at this very moment) I want to read / get started on something I'd like to learn from a book, I can't focus my mind, it won't allow me. I'm like in an altered state and can't relax my mind enough to get into what I'm reading. Really is wrecking my progress in life is anxiety/depression.