• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

scocial anxiety?

T

topfun

would this include not being able to talk to most people and only saying very minimal at best cause i find talking to people new and old very hard and it makes me feel deppressed:low:

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

It can include that, yes. My oldest son suffers badly with social anxiety and he'll do anything to avoid talking to others. He's sure people think he's rude because he can be quite abrupt and appear off-hand at times whereas, in reality, he's just really embarrassed or nervous. Much of his depression stems from his social anxiety. It's pants.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I agree with Purple, in that yes, social anxiety can include the things you've said.

For me it feels like a big weight or a wall that's in front of me. When i'm having a conversation or i'm part of a group, a part of myself really wants to join in and it's like i'm screaming at myself to loosen up and say something.
But the social anxiety makes me so tense it's like swimming against the tide. And yes, it can lead to you feeling depressed.

Have you sought any help for this sort of thing?
Whilst people have different views on what helps and some people don't always get on with medication, I have found that taking citalopram has helped me massively in terms of social anxiety.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

It is very difficult. It can cause you to think too hard about what to say, speak too quickly so people have to ask you slow down, and then after talking to people, you can spend ages ruminating on what you said, whether you sounded silly or not, and what the other person thought of you :panic:

T

topfun

thanks for the advice all no good at asking for advice of help either but yeah i also after conversation start to contemplate what people where thinking of me