• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Sciophobia / Sciaphobia (Fear of shadows)

F

Franko36

Hello guys.
I hope I find some help here cause I really need it .
I am a 28 y.o. man. I started to lose my hair about 8 years ago and this was something shocking for me. But with some medication ,I managed to maintain them for some year up to a point where they started to be thin .
And then the phobia started 3 years ago.
I started to observe the shadow of my hair and realise that my hair in the shadow were appearing to be thin and few. That was something thas was panicking me for a long time and the only thing I couldn't take under control.
I could have a good time only when I didnt see the shadow of my hair ,otherwise.I. Was panicking and losing myself.
As the years passed by , I thought what can I do with my hair. I did a hair transplant and it is successful . So I am happy now with my appearance as I have quite good hair . I am not panicked anymore about my appearance and I am satisfied . When you do a hair transplant , they cut your hair really short. So ,these months I didn't have hair until the new hair come , I didn't have the phobia at all ,as I couldnt see any hair in the shadows something that it was reliefing for me a lot. I was cured for six months. Now ,my hair have grown back and they look good ,though the shadow is back. And although the shadow has hair this time , I can't stop panicking again !!!
Im disappointed because I have come a long way to heal myself and I really thought I made it .
Now its completely irrational as I have hair and my shadow is a shadow of hair , but it seems that I am so bad traumatised from the past ,that I still cannot handle it.. 😔
When this phobia comes to my life I always thing about the shadows and if I panick when I see it..I have tachycardia when it happens and my mood gets bad. Cause I cant stop an irrational thought and it drives me mad.
Anyone with similar experience? What can I do to help myself ? Please I really need any advice.
Thank you ❤

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
:welcome:
I have never heard of that but there are many phobias.
I have seen on TV exposure therapy for other phobias. We have a married couple on TV here who are very good and helping people called The Speakmans. Maybe they have a website. They are both psychologists i think.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M any fear of being put in a white straight jacket Phobia Forum 3
stevie_sloth Trypophobia anyone? (fear of many small holes) Phobia Forum 4
P Aftermath of dealing with fear... Phobia Forum 4
A Intense fear of power stations Phobia Forum 6
lifecangetbetter what is your greatest fear in which you will die? Phobia Forum 41
Emikin I have a phobia of toilets, spiders,lifts and a fear of my autism Phobia Forum 5
pjb15201 Fear of open heights Phobia Forum 3
docbrown2015 I have a really bad fear of... Phobia Forum 4
K I can't overcome my phonophobia(fear of loud sounds) no matter what Phobia Forum 1
F Fear of failure Phobia Forum 4
A Thanatophobia- Does anyone have this fear and does he keep affirming himself all day that its ok. Phobia Forum 3
K Leukophobia(Fear of white things) Phobia Forum 3
A Fear For Height Phobia Forum 4
ToadFrog15 Fear of vulnerability Phobia Forum 4
OmniscientNihilist Fear of deep dark water Phobia Forum 13
L Extreme Fear of cats Phobia Forum 8
Q Can you genuinely have more than one fear? Phobia Forum 12
Q Fear of vomiting or am I being ridiculous? Phobia Forum 8
T I have Entomophobia (fear of bugs) and people think it is a joke Phobia Forum 11
dabearwiffdasammich Fear of bugs. Phobia Forum 12
R Fear of heights debilitates me Phobia Forum 3
T Extreme fear of sleeping help Phobia Forum 6
Bluejay7500 Whats your biggest fear? Phobia Forum 267
D fear of ghosts. can't sleep alone at night. Phobia Forum 5
L Fear or feathers Phobia Forum 2
U Fear of functioning near people Phobia Forum 3
Quietman5 Fear of FAILURE Phobia Forum 14
H Fear of people hurting me Phobia Forum 1
J Syngenesophobia (fear of a relative) Phobia Forum 7
I Fear of touching inside my body? Phobia Forum 4
W Fear of showering Phobia Forum 2
xPhantomThiefx Fear of semen Phobia Forum 1
L Irrational fear of sudden death. Phobia Forum 3
B Fear of expected loud noises/sudden things Phobia Forum 2
C Fear of choking/Agoraphobia/Globus Sensation Phobia Forum 4
H Fear of being sick in public Phobia Forum 1
Wandering Pumpkin Fear of sleepwalking Phobia Forum 1
M Fear of MRI Phobia Forum 4
H an immense fear of getting new glasses and wearing them Phobia Forum 6
T I have numerous fear; the ones I want to overcome is puppies and the police. Phobia Forum 1
S Fear of drs or lack of trust? Phobia Forum 4
V Fear ofvswimming in the deep end ( history of panic) Phobia Forum 11
H Fear of Highway Driving Phobia Forum 4
Z fear of dogs Phobia Forum 49
D Fear of choking Phobia Forum 1
L Fear of the sea Phobia Forum 4
Jessica89 Fear of Job Phobia Forum 1
P Irrational fear of drugs (I think) Phobia Forum 3
F Extreme anxiety/fear of blood, blood tests, iv's... [long, sorry :( ] Phobia Forum 2
C My biggest fear.. Phobia Forum 2