• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenic brother wont get help

C

C0ncernedbro

Hi all,

My brother has come to live with me because i wanted to try and help him sort his life out. He keeps losing jobs and seems o be most interested in taking drugs bumming around etc. Before he came to live with me he had been with my uncle for 6 months but he couldnt cope with him because he was so lazy around the house and wouldnt look for a job.

Then he went to live with my mum and was there for a bout another 6 months but she couldnt handle him either. After he left mum's he was in a hostel for a bit but he wasnt paying the rent so he had to move out from there despite my mum giving him money sometimes but he mostly just wasted that and his wages on drugs.

After he got kicked out of the hostel he took himself to a mental health hospital where he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and he stayed there for about 6 weeks. (this was all in germany by the way)

i invited him to come and live with me after he came out of the hospital although he hadnt told me his was schizophrenic and none of the family new either. He told me when he moved in.

He's been living with me for about 3 months and he is getting worse and worse. At first he accepted he was schizophrenic and knew the auditory hallucinations where just that but the problem is now he doesnt think he's ill anymore and that it's all real. he thinks thats he's kinda famous, that he's being filmed that everybody knows him and talks about him etc. He's getting so lazy too. I have managed to find him 3 jobs now and he's been sacked from all of them. I'm afraid i can't afford him anymore, i'm a student and only work parttime so i may have to kick him out soon but the only place he would be then is living rough on the street. I can't do that to him so need to get him some psychiatric help

He won't get any help though because he says there's nothing wrong with him and i'm just too closed minded to see that there's things in the world which i just don't understand.

How do i get him help?

T

Twylight

The quickest way is through his GP - being his brother they may talk to you - IF not write to his GP.

T

Twylight

The quickest way is through his GP - being his brother they may talk to you - IF not write to his GP.
Or somewhere in your area there will be an ' out of hours social worker', you might have to ring a local hospital to get the number.

C

C0ncernedbro

he hasn't actually got a GP here yet. I could probably convince him to register with a doctor but It'll have to under the pretence that it's just in case he gets sick or something. I wouldn't be able to say it's about the schizophrenia

C

C0ncernedbro

Or somewhere in your area there will be an ' out of hours social worker', you might have to ring a local hospital to get the number.

Ok, i'll give that a go. There is a general NHS drop in centre near here

D

Danage

he hasn't actually got a GP here yet. I could probably convince him to register with a doctor but It'll have to under the pretence that it's just in case he gets sick or something. I wouldn't be able to say it's about the schizophrenia
After that he would have to be referred to the mental health team of that county, I imagine, or am I wrong?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Talina People 20