• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia - What is it?

A

Apotheosis

I had an appointment with the psychiatrist today. The last appointment was some 4 months ago. They consider that I am stable & I am within “secondary treatment” (which means around 3-4 /10 min appointments a year & not much else). Anyway; Shorty after the last appointment, 4 months ago, I wrote a letter to the psychiatrist. I had handed the letter in by hand at reception, over 3 months ago. The letter was never replied to, & when I arrived for my appointment today they had again changed the psychiatrist, without informing me, & he said there was no record of any letter. The LMHT is meant to be good as they go. The psychiatrists do seem pleasant on the whole, but it does seem there isn’t much care as these things go. I again asked about the possibility of some kind of therapy, I won’t be holding my breath.

I also asked what my present diagnosis was & was told that it is paranoid schizophrenia (in remission) with poly substance misuse (currently abstinent). I asked what schizophrenia actually is, & the psych started reeling off the orthodox theories on cause – genetic, chemical, societal influence, drug misuse etc. I said I was very much aware of all the different theories on what may be the cause, but what actually is it? This had him completely stumped & he said it was a very good question & went looking in some books on his desk & in his briefcase. After discussing the possibility of it being an organic brain disease – which frankly I think can be ruled out (due to the exclusion of any conclusive tests & the large body of evidence of those who recover or go into full remission) – He admitted that no one knows what it is exactly & agreed that it is a diagnosis based entirely on observation of arbitrary symptoms. It seems very odd, I said, yes, he replied, it is. Well, isn’t it odd? It certainly appears very strange – whenether I have considered it & I have considered it allot.

I am aware that the term "Schizophrenia" was originally coined by Carl Jung - Some say that he was a schizophrenic who cured himself. The terms meaning most obviously relates to the separation of the self with "reality" which is where the idea of the "split" enters into peoples understanding of the word. Jung's ideas centred around the overwhelming of the conscious mind by the sub conscious - as a natural healing mechanism connected to a dissolving & eventual reintegration of the ego. His ideas tied very strongly into certain spiritual beliefs - especially those of ego death & shamanism.

I'll go with Jung - he makes more sense on this subject than anything else I have read. Orthodox theory has just never washed with me - There is some anecdotal evidence for some of it - but proof? there isn't any.

We may as well have a theory that invisible gnomes are prodding my brain with matchsticks & causing the problems; for all the good present orthodox theory does. It wasn't that long ago that in regards to mental illness, Doctors theorised that some kind of undefined rot in the stomach area was causing bad fumes to rise to the brain & cause the "illness". This theory was taken so seriously that it became a widespread practise to operate on the patient & remove body parts - especially in & around the stomach area, the spleen was a favourite for removal. There was after some time, & more & more enthusiasm of the Doctors to cut away as much of the patient as possible; a moral outcry, due to perfectly healthy people being butchered, with no effect on improving their mental health. Other "cures" have included, torture, drowning, isolation, forced imprisonment, beatings, Cutting away pieces of brain & passing high currents of electricity through the head. The general practise is now to poison people with high doses of meds, on mass, sorry for my cynicism.

S

Starbright

Don't apologise for your cynicism. I'm there with you.

There's also a theory about it being some kind of spiritual disturbance.

S

Starbright

I think the idea of disintegration and reintegration of the psyche appeals to me

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I don't blame you being cynical.It seems to me these drugs are a bit hitand miss. They find something that works but can't really understand why. You probably know more than the psy.At the end of the day we are depenmdent on them]
Take care Apo.
KP:(;);)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I used to like the idea it's a label, but at my age that doesn't make everything happy ever after

Diagnoseses come and go, one incompetent psychiatrist after another, the medical model that ignores social issues never mind they exacerbate things and that black people facing social issues like racism have a high rate

justme

justme

Founding Member
i have found its not good to mention having it as people repell me some know i have it and deal with me with gloves on so to speak which i really hate
ive a good friend who tells me i dont give a stuff what you have got your my friend she is possibly the only true friend i have
getting back to your psy changing i totally hear you ive had 4 different ones in a year before today
i asked last one questions and told him point blank if you had read my file you would of know

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I am aware that the term "Schizophrenia" was originally coined by Carl Jung - Some say that he was a schizophrenic who cured himself. The terms meaning most obviously relates to the separation of the self with "reality" which is where the idea of the "split" enters into peoples understanding of the word. Jung's ideas centred around the overwhelming of the conscious mind by the sub conscious - as a natural healing mechanism connected to a dissolving & eventual reintegration of the ego. His ideas tied very strongly into certain spiritual beliefs - especially those of ego death & shamanism.

-----¦¦-----

I'll go with Jung - he makes more sense on this subject than anything else I have read. Orthodox theory has just never washed with me - There is some anecdotal evidence for some of it - but proof? there isn't any.
An interesting discussion :).

It does feel like my concious is overwhelmed with my subconcious, that's exactly how it feels to me (y) - it's something that sits well with me and I think he's on to something there.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
There's also a theory about it being some kind of spiritual disturbance.
I sometimes feel that it could be the case, do you have more info or a link to this theory as I'd really like to read more about it :tea:.

There's a book "There's light at the end of the tunnel" that my brother got me, it was advertised in a paper. It discusses a personal experience of someone going through a mental illness, in his own words, and how at one point he had healing, hypnosis and chakra cleansing/balancing done - his medication was significantly reduced after having all that done as his condition improved. I've asked my doc if there is anyone in the NHS who can help me with that form of treatment, but aparantly there's no one in my local area that can help me with that. Looks like if I want it, I'll have to pay for it as there are a number of qualified people in my area that will do if for a fee.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Many thanks Apotheosis for the link :), I'll take a good look at that and get back with comments etc :tea:.

S

Starbright

Thanks, Apotheosis, I had heard it was a theory but didn't know anything about it so I was not going to be able to answer the question

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Still wading through all the info on those Blogs - they are very interesting and provide a very interesting perspective on the illness so far. I'll keep on reading but it's going to take some time :tea:.

A

Apotheosis

Still wading through all the info on those Blogs - they are very interesting and provide a very interesting perspective on the illness so far. I'll keep on reading but it's going to take some time :tea:.
I like them; because the author has spent considerable time in searching out & finding allot of good information on the subjects. I have come across allot of it before - while searching information on the spiritual/psychotic link, shamanism/schizophrenia link, & Jungian psychology. I dip into the blogs occasionally, it's good to have such a resource in one place. Glad your finding it interesting. :)

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Personally, in my case, I think that my illness has nothing to do with chemical imbalances since non of the meds I've ever taken have managed to quiet the voices when they started. In the past they have helped me to sleep better ( but these days they aren't ), they've done nothing for my memory or concentration either. Although they do relax me, I think my illness has underlying psycological causes and alternative therapy/hypnotherapy is the way for me - trouble is, there is no-one on the NHS in my area that can help me. It ticks me off that I can't even try those things unless I pay a large percentage of my benefits each week - and that's a no-no. The very thing that could end all or most of this misery is out of my reach and, unlike medication, I don't have the option to even try it :mad:.

Anyway, aside from me banging on about those things ^^^, I really do think there is a lot of truth about what I've read so far (y).