• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Schizophrenia: Stigma and Challenges

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

That's a fair point when you think about it, I guess it was a matter of stigma.

Funny you should mention that though here people do advertise rooms under asian or indian applicants only.

I'm not sure, but I had the impression that the rules for advertising rooms in your home (that would be part of the renter's own household, so not self-contained bedsits with their own front door) are much more lenient when it comes to anti-discrimination laws than are the rules if you are renting out a self-contained residence.
I don't know how far that goes - I suspect if you are a group of women sharing a house you are allowed to advertise for a woman housemate only, for example. But I don't know if it's allowed for race or religion (or mental health status).

D

danmarkok89

this probably isn't going to help de-stigmatise but it sadly appears to be the case:

I live in supported housing at the minute and we recently had a guy move out and I was sat outside with my friend one day and some workmen were clearing out this guys flat and they were taking binbag after binbag of rubbish and me and my friend asked how bad the flat was and the workmen replied "theres faeces and vomit in every room of the flat!", needless to say me and my friend were quite shocked, we knew the guy who moved out was unwell, I guess we just didn't understand how unwell he was! I mean I've been unwell myself, very unwell but never to the point where I'd poo all around my own house!

how do you live in your house after that? I mean I couldn't even be there in a house with poo everywhere without gagging!

N

natalie

Althogh I have external mental health issues/challenges, I have been very balanced and stablised, for many years, on med, we are now in 2021, I was last in for a brief visit to cmht, back in 2015, and then reverse order, back in 2012.

As a consultant registrar put me , back in 2015, you're doing well he complimented, aware that i was last in, back in 2012 and his colleague, a lady doctor met with me.

i have been h appily volunteering since 2004, and after 2011 when abuidling was going unde renovations,

and also, working out in fitness, and attending fitness groups,

music listening and knitting,

and remembering my strong longtimemutual admirer./potential gent friend to be, saving the best for last.

Best regards all,

oh, and under GP care services plans, since call it, 2005.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm not sure, but I had the impression that the rules for advertising rooms in your home (that would be part of the renter's own household, so not self-contained bedsits with their own front door) are much more lenient when it comes to anti-discrimination laws than are the rules if you are renting out a self-contained residence.
I don't know how far that goes - I suspect if you are a group of women sharing a house you are allowed to advertise for a woman housemate only, for example. But I don't know if it's allowed for race or religion (or mental health status).
it's still stigma and as i said how would it be viewed if you refused to rent a place out because someone was black

my brother had a black lodger and i guess some of the concerns i told him about if i had a black lodger would count as racist, and theres plenty of people who would object to a schitzo lodger as i know

ht46

ht46

This one was a sleep out but not self contained. They didn’t say they had a baby on the way in the listing or their preference. I can’t remember how the topic of my mental health came up but remember getting a text basically saying they didn’t want a schizophrenic around their child. @turnitoffandonagain_again

M

mindbodysoul

I dont know about ya'll but I am so tired of being stigmatized and pathologized. I cant.

Thats all Im ever told.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
theres a letter through the shared security door that they need to inspect my flat theres no letter for the neighbour downstairs, are they only inspecting my flat as as a schitzo they see it as likely i've trashed it or are i paranoid

Bod

Bod

I have known all my life that mental health is a taboo subject, but why is schizophrenia still such a bad stigma to other people ?
Sorry but I am trying to learn more about it, even though I do not have it.

ht46

ht46

I have known all my life that mental health is a taboo subject, but why is schizophrenia still such a bad stigma to other people ?
I'm not sure but whenever I see professionals they always ask "are you thinking of harming anyone or myself" then often followed by if I've had any thoughts of harming my wife, so I guess statistically we're potentially more dangerous. Also holly wood stigmatises it. And people hear the word and think things like split personalities and all sorts of stuff.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@Bod, a lot of it comes down to the Schizo on rampage with a blade stories you see in the press, despite the fact that the majority of SZ sufferers aren't violent and the person they are most likely to damage is themselves. I've a former mate from my drinking days who said I was retarded because of my diagnosis, I have no cognitive impairment and my IQ registers in the high 130s to low 140s depending on which test I do. He also told another mate I might attack people if I didn't take my meds, I'm lucky I know when I am unwell and it's me who contacts crisis or taked myself to A+E. A few years later he told me that I was the most normal of our gang of drinking buddies (and yeah he was sober at the time). Go figure.

Bod

Bod

Thank you both so very much, I will carry on reading about schizophrenia.

ht46

ht46

I think one thing a lot of caring people do don't stigmatise you dangerously but just treat you kind of disabled which is true but sometimes it makes you feel a little pathetic I'm not complaining though people aren't perfect, I still wish some people would be more considerate when people insult you on top of all the shit you're dealing with anyway. Idk it's bit of a mix bag.

ht46

ht46

But shit they've made great feet over the years glad there's no longer lobotomies and the meds can actually help.

D

danmarkok89

I see what you're getting at, you raise a relevant point, neurotypicals (no offense, i think to be 'sane' and 'normal' is pretty insane in its own kind of way) do seem to make a big deal out of it, particularly some more than others...
I think some sort of oppression has been the norm throughout the ages and thanks to liberalism (not that liberalism isn't without it's flaws or critics) and the corollary of social attitudes and culture relating to what some might call cultural or even partisan metanarratives and the zeitgeist of the times people live(d) in, more and more people were given more freedom, first religious freedom, then lower class or uneducated men, then women, then homosexuals (sorry if that offends, none is intended, just couldn't think of a better word) and so on.
I think for a lot of people, with what I believe to be of some validity is the belief that the behaviour of people with certain mental illnesses, their behaviour is so strange and peculiar, frightening even that it is difficult for people to know how to be mature around the topic or even certain behaviours. Personally, I don't think the closing of asylums and the beginning of 'community care' was particularly well thought through and we haven't been well integrated culturally and so for a lot of people, we just aren't socially acceptable and I do believe this has something to do with the portrayal in the media.
Each time there seems to be a liberalisation of attitudes for some new demographic, there is always some pushback from some people in society and they seem to get their opinions largely from the media. Some people deem these more liberal attitudes and the freedoms given to certain demographics will result in total chaos for the community and a breakdown of societal values and schizophrenia and similar mental health conditions are no different in that sense that thanks largely to the portrayal in the media, so politicians feel (thanks to the public opinion generated by the press / media) as though they have to do something and 'act tough' or have a 'crackdown' on some group of people to maintain social order, that is essentially some ideal or preconceived notion of what society should be like, which quite often seems to be in denial of some sort of feature of human nature.
Undoubtedly there are troubling aspects to human nature that do need to be taken into consideration, regardless of whether you're a believer in John Locke's 'tabula rasa' (the blank slate of the human mind ie we're entirely the product of circumstances and upbringing and environment etc) or whether you're a more contemporary thinker in the sense that you believe that we all, regardless of circumstances, upbringing and environment, we all also have a somewhat innate predisposition towards certain behaviors and attitudes as a result of our nature.
Schizophrenia is unfortunately a part of the human condition, there is no denying it and it has probably always invoked strange feelings towards some people living with this disease and probably always will, just like homosexuality continues to do, despite being legalised and the government even enforcing hate speech laws for some time now, some things are just peculiar or upsetting to some people, just as conservatism is peculiar or upsetting for more liberal or radical people and vice versa. The question for me is, if how much of society's attitudes and the appropriate help given or not given towards us people living with schizophrenia contributes to our behaviors, I for one think it does, it certainly upsets me from time to time when I'm well and even more so when I'm unwell as I sometimes get so afraid of getting locked up for the rest of my life in some hospital and being told that I'm unwell and being forced to have treatments I don't want because I'm so convinced it's everyone else who is at fault, I can't see how society can't see that that would affect me and others. Sadly this seems to have the effect on me that I end up getting more paranoid and disturbed, at least when I'm unwell. This can result in a vicious cycle as people like me get more afraid of me and I get more afraid of them and the disease in and of itself does cause this to some extent but clearly the attitudes of society and it's one size fits all policy of how to deal with the mentally ill or disordered doesn't always help, particularly in times of crisis, at least speaking from personal experience. Sometimes I wish they would help me in other ways before sending me straight to hospital, at least last time I went in there, I didn't even get any financial help to manage my condition until they said I need meds for life and I didn't even get any proper help with housing until after I left hospital (when it would have helped me if they would have considered that before I went there as I was in some crappy hostel living with some violent guy and it helped break me down)
Because we are a minority in a democracy, it is clear that there is a power imbalance and we don't make the rules, we just have to try and live by them. We will always seem a bit odd i'm afraid as we're not the majority and there is a consensus of sorts of what constitutes normal and we don't fit that description. Couple that with occasional relapses were something has gone wrong in life and we act out of character and voila, we are now seen as some sort of boogeymen or boogeywomen or bad people in society, only fit to exist on the margins of the mainstream. The thing I seem to think is that it 2 people to make someone 'weird', a person being weird and some to perceive it and remark 'they're being weird' or in the case of schizophrenia, it takes society to deem us outcasts and say that they need to do x y and z without analysing their own behaviours.

sorry for the long post, just felt like going on a mad rant lol

Bod

Bod

Thank you for that, it really does piss me off that so many people are just fools and think people who have schizophrenia are dangerous. I knew a lad when I was quite young and we were friends and we went round to each others homes after school, and when my parents heard he had schizophrenia they stopped me seeing him and coming around. Years later I asked them why, and my dad said because we all thought he might be dangerous it was so sad but both my parents said sorry to me.