Schizophrenia Quetiapine And Waking Up On Time For Work

D

dogbiscuit

My cousin has schizophrenia, and takes quetiapine / seroquel extended 400 mg every evening. He wants to go back to university and work. He only has one more symptom in his way: some days he wakes up late. He just can't wake up to the alarm.

Would it be easier to wake up with quetiapine instant release instead of extended release?
What if the doctor lowered his dosage from 400 extended mg to 200 extended mg. Would that adjustment make it easier to wake up on time?

Some people say to take the extended release pills four hours before bedtime. However, that is a little bit complicated because he will get dizzy and will have limited mobility for those four hours, after taking the medicine, and before bedtime. Sometimes during those 4 hours his head feels so bad, that he thinks he is going to get a stroke.

Are patients also supposed to take the instant release medicine four hours before bedtime, or is this four hour rule just for the extended release version of the seroquel quetiapine medicine?

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to wake up on time while taking quetiapine 400 mg? It is a very serious situation, because anyone who arrives late to work will get fired.

The strange thing is sometimes he is able to get up on time without any problems, and then a few days later it happens again, that he can't wake up.

Z

Zoe1

I dont know how that works with the dosage
and the release time

it should be possible to get back to the psychiatrist
discuss these debilitating side effects
and have the medication changed

I myself always take an advocate to my appointments
but if not, it might be helpful if you go with him

in my town we also have a well being hub
and there is someone there
who is very good with peoples employment difficulties
and has had mental health issues himself

you would get referred by the gp I think

:grouphug:

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Quetiapine is a helluva drug. I was on 800mg a day at one point. And yeah it makes you sleep. Eventually you get used to taking it in the daylight hours. I took 400mg in the morning and 400mg at night. But waking up at a set time was problematic to say the least. Even after a year or more on the medicine.

I once slept for over 24 hours on 600mg quetiapine. My sister came home from work and I was still asleep. She said she was just checking to see if I was still alive or not as I had been asleep so long.

I was not on the extended release quetiapine. Maybe see about changing their medication to one that is less sedating. Obviously the doctor would know what options are best but I have tried haldol, risperdal, invega sustenna, perphenazine, and maybe some others I've forgotten. There are numerous medications for schizophrenia. The doctor needs to find a treatment that will manage their symptoms and still allow them to live their life.