• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia Questionnaire

D

dani780

Founding Member
Hello everyone, I am a university student completing a dissertation study on schizophrenia. I would appreciate it so much if you could complete this short survey as part of my research to break the stigma against our sufferers.
Thank you

1. What is your opinion on how television portray schizophrenia?

2. Have you seen any movies that have depicted schizophrenia in a bad way?

3. If yes, how did it make you feel?

4. What positive things could you suggest for television media to portray a better light on people who suffer from the illness?

5. How does television (such as movies, news and advertisements) involving schizophrenia affect your patients or loved ones?

6. Do you believe television slows down the process of a sufferer towards getting better?

7. Television tends to associate sufferers as murderers and paedophiles, why do you think that is?

8. Has any sufferers spoken to you about television programmes that portray the illness?

9. Without pressures from television the public, in your opinion. Do you believe it would be easier for a sufferer to get better?

10. Do you believe the public misrepresent or treat sufferers differently because of television media?

11. Do you blame the public for how they perceive sufferers?

12. What is your opinion on negative movies that involves schizophrenia?

13. Have you seen any negative advertisements that involve schizophrenia?

14. If yes, Can you describe the advert and how it made you feel?

15. Is it harder for the sufferers because of the public’s perception?

16. Do you believe the public are to blame for their behaviour and reaction to sufferers?

[email protected]

A

Apotheosis

Hello everyone, I am a university student completing a dissertation study on schizophrenia. I would appreciate it so much if you could complete this short survey as part of my research to break the stigma against our sufferers.
Thank you

On the Whole - An utter disgrace - Ignorant & discriminatory.

Yes, a few.

I laughed at them.

4. What positive things could you suggest for television media to portray a better light on people who suffer from the illness?

Get the full facts - Maybe people should go & stay in a hospital for a week or two - Reality stuff.

5. How does television (such as movies, news and advertisements) involving schizophrenia affect your patients or loved ones?

I think to most people the portrayal of these things is so ingrained, no one seems to take much notice.

6. Do you believe television slows down the process of a sufferer towards getting better?

Depends.

7. Television tends to associate sufferers as murderers and paedophiles, why do you think that is?

Ignorance & fear.

8. Has any sufferers spoken to you about television programmes that portray the illness?

Occasionally on forums.

9. Without pressures from television the public, in your opinion. Do you believe it would be easier for a sufferer to get better?

Maybe, certainly if attitudes changed.

10. Do you believe the public misrepresent or treat sufferers differently because of television media?

yes.

Yes.

A reflection on the Ignorance of society, in most cases - unless of course the content is factually reflecting the story of a mentally ill person who is/was violent.

Yes.

There are many examples - I ignore it, or laugh at it.

These questions seem to be repeating themselves - Yes

16. Do you believe the public are to blame for their behaviour and reaction to sufferers?

Yes -Ignorance & Fear is not an excuse.

[email protected]
Hope that answers some of your questions from my perspective.

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
I have a real problem with this thread. I find no short answers to any of your questions, frankly! I will say that the best way to solve a problem of a group of people being so consistently, and universally Misconstrued is to Resource and Finance the handing over of media access - including production - to us as first hand Experiencers of what is being addressed, which i am afraid cuts out middle-men and purveyors of second-hand and received opinion, such as yourself. What do you think of the idea that all victims of stigma should be resourced to answer their detractors by putting their own case accross? I am heartily SICK of being a bystander in my own Battles against Stigma, as paid Employees of Healthcare and other factions make great show of Fighting S:mad:tigma and discrimination which is not even Directed at Them!!!:mad:

S

Starbright

Thank you

Before we start, I want to say that I don’t like the word ‘sufferer’ – it makes us sound like passive victims

Terrible

Me, myself and Irene

Defeated

Stop focusing on the very very few murderers and focus on the majority of people will the illness, their barriers, feelings, experiences and also that they can live normally if the symptoms can be controlled

It makes me feel that I can’t disclose my condition to anyone; it makes me feel part of an unacceptable group; this in turn makes me lose hope and happiness

No, getting better seems mainly due to the drugs, but living life to the full and realising your potential might be affected by television.

No idea. Possibly ignorance and people’s tendency to think they know what something is without any information. The world at large has stereotypes of people and conditions which have grown up through the decades and it’s pretty impossible to know where the initial ideas came from. I don’t think that news reports and horror films help any.

Yes

No. I don’t think that getting better is affected by negativity, but I do think that negative stereotypes can cause other illnesses such as depression, and can stop a person with this illness from living life to the full and realising their potential.

I think television and newspapers and films do contribute about 50% towards the misinformation out there and I think that misinformation means that people treat those with the illness differently

Yes and no. While there’s no excuse for ignorance and fear (people should find out the facts) I think that people’s perceptions would be helped without them noticing if they were to be inundated with factual information from the media instead of distorted stories and plain lies.

I pity the people who thought they were a good idea and I’m angry that they were allowed to get away with spreading such lies without any redress

No

Yes, much. When a person with this illness first gets diagnosed it’s like falling down a black hole because you know how society view this illness. Getting a diagnosis of schizophrenia is like living in a horror movie that you’re not going to wake up from.

Yes and no. I think that there is no excuse for not treating every person like a human being and this should be taught in school. I also blame the media though because if the media were to inundate the public with accurate stories about schizophrenia and the facts, then people’s attitudes would change almost without them noticing it.