• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Schizophrenia OR Bipolar Disorder

M

monica123_sharma

Hello !
I have been diagonised twice by clinical psychologists as being schizophrenic.
My symptoms are: I suffer from depression and tremendous anticipatory anxiety. I also suffer from Mood-Swings. When anticipatory anxiety increases, I get these giddy spells, panic, agoraphobia, suspicion, trembling, sweating, fear to go put in the light etc. This condition lasts from a few days to a few weeks. My psychiatrists have however ruled out Schizophrenia and instead they are giving me meds for Bipolar Disorder. Friends, i need valuable inputs from you in order to pin-point my mental health condition. Kindly help.

A

anastasia

we're not doctors so perhaps you just need to trust your psychiatrist on this one!

to me, it sounds more bipolar

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
Endorse that. Definitely not one for clinical psychologists Either! Consultant psychiatrists, with the advice of an experienced team. Nothing less! :)

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Doesn't sound like schizophrenia to me either.
I didn't know that a psychologist could be qualified to make a diagnosis.

J

jamesdean

it seems to me in this world of mh services these people getting vast amounts of money can say whot they like when they like the less qualified the more they seem to be able to say if only there was abit more uniform/protocol whot ever you call it it seems to me when there is no reason for a diagnosis they like to give one but when there is a need or reason to be diagnosed that it could help a person and be really useful they dont want to know, but to be honest its not only the mh service if some of these consultants at the hospital could get off their high horse honestly these people are supposed to be working for us not against us a bit like this goverment may be its just people with power.

My psych slapped my gp down like a ton of bricks

D

Dollit

The only person that can make the diagnosis is a qualified psychiatrist. A psychologist is there to help change behaviour by changing thinking and they are not diagnosticians, they act on what the diagnosis is.

Mood swings are certainly the way of Bipolar Disorder but the anxiety etc. isn't necessarily that but obviously you need that treating too.

What meds have you been given?

M

maudikie

Maudikie

I think you shoud be treated by a psychiatrist. If you are not satisfied with the one you havee already seen, then ask for second opinion. I think you sould also have a full physical examination. Hope this helps.:)

Schizophrenia is characterised by delusions and hallucinations. Bipolar disorder is characterised by alternating episodes of depression (low mood/lack of energy/lack of enjoyments/sleep & appettite disturbance etc.) and hypo-mania (very high mood, lots of energy, rash decisions, grandiosity etc.). Your symptoms sound more like an anxiety disorder than either schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
Having said this - if the diagnosis is made by a consultant psychiatrist then it would be the right diagnosis. What medication are you on?
Regards,

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i remember the psychiatrist who said i wasn't schitzoprenic then put me on sulpiride which it says in the british pharmaceutical is for schitzoprenia, he said "why did you tell the police you were schitzoprenic when i say your not" i said "they asked me what the drugs were for and thats what it says in the british pharmaceutical"

Since a no of shrinks have said i'm schitzoprenic remember the cpn who said she had letters from 3 psychiatrists saying i wasn't schitzoprenic and used it to leave me when i was having problems, a number of agencies did the same

2 friends who used to be schitzoprenic have become bipolar they take it very seriously

One psychiatrist said get 7 psychiatrists get 7 different diagnoseses

F

firemonkee57

would be the right diagnosis. What medication are you on?
Regards,
I have been through the following dx over 35 years of being under the mental health services: Schizophrenia,schizophrenia with disorder of gender identity,schizophrenia with PD,schizoaffective mixed type or bipolar disorder(schizoaffective mixed type being more regular dx of the two) and currently personality disorder NOS.

Unless the differing diagnoses are accurate based on how i was presenting at the time they were made, ie my presentation of symptoms has changed over time warranting a change of dx, then one or more pdocs must have made a mistake.

M

maudikie

Monica 123 sharma

I cannnot give you any medical advice, but I would ask for another appointment with your psychiatrist. Write down a list of questions to take with you, and ask him/her exactly what the diagnosis is. Tell him/her that you are finding it confusing having two diagnoses. Also write down any other questions you may have such as fitnss for work, can you have repeat prescritions or is i advisable to see your G.P. to whom he/she should have written about your illness.Can you be put in contact with your local mental health Team. Take it from there and let us know how you get on.
Best wishes, and keep your chin up.(y)