Schizophrenia is the worst diagnosis

I

iwanthope

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia last year by a junior doctor and a psychiatrist. It said in my records that I had circumferential thoughts, was guarded about hearing voices as if I heard voices but didn't want to admit it. This is what she was implying, the psychiatrist, and that I was a danger to others. I raised my voice at her. I believe she used this diagnosis as a form gaslighting so as to stop all forms of protest. When I was at my most vulnerable, I was picked on and bullied. I felt like this because I was losing my memory and was trying to tell her that my learning and concentration had been affected. She used this against me and now it's stuck. They use words to say I have paranoia because I mistrust mental health staff. Yes, I mistrust them but I have every reason to. Please could anyone help or advise me. I tried to point across that I had developed tardive dystonia but she didn't believe me and behaved in a very vindictive manner when I told her, how would she feel if she was in my position. She was really nasty.

Last edited:
Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I have paranoid schizophrenia to, it is a distressing condition/diagnosis.
I have had bad experiences and mistrust CMHT staff, so they say I'm not engaging with services.
It is hard to fight the system, if you feel your diagnosis is wrong get your GP on your side, and then ask for a second opinion.
It can be very hard accepting diagnosis's, especially schizophrenia.
Many of us feel we have been wrongly diagnosed.
Here to listen anytime.
Take care

I

iwanthope

Hi mayflower, you sound very kind. I've got dystonia as well. Having a diagnosis of schizophrenia is very debilitating. I haven't been properly diagnosed. Cmht never looked at the content of my mental health problems and have ignored my dystonia. I'm partly disabled now, damage from drugs. Peter breggin says schizophrenia shouldn't be used as it's not scientific or medical and is a form of abuse, a criticism and much more. I know he's right. What exactly is schizophrenia, anyway? I'm not accepting something false especially if I don't have it. Psychiatrists say poverty leads to schizophrenia but a diagnosis of schizophrenia leads to an impoverished life. That's a fact. Can you see, it is a way of undermining people. It's not the system, it's the people that make the system. I'm not accepting what I don't have.

Last edited:
Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi mayflower, you sound very kind. I've got dystonia as well. Having a diagnosis of schizophrenia is very debilitating. I haven't been properly diagnosed. Cmht never looked at the content of my mental health problems and have ignored my dystonia. I'm partly disabled now, damage from drugs. Peter breggin says schizophrenia shouldn't be used as it's not scientific or medical and is a form of abuse, a criticism and much more. I know he's right. What exactly is schizophrenia, anyway? I'm not accepting something false especially if I don't have it. Psychiatrists say poverty leads to schizophrenia but a diagnosis of schizophrenia leads to an impoverished life. That's a fact. Can you see, it is a way of undermining people. It's not the system, it's the people that make the system. I'm not accepting what I don't have.
Hi,
Thank you so much, I totally get where your coming from.
The damage from drugs is terrible.
Hope you feel better soon.
Take care

Last edited:
D

Dickandjane

Schizophrenia is a complex mental illness. My 36 year old daughter finally is getting help. She wasn't really paranoid that everyone was gonna get her but she her dilushions were sometimes somewhat paranoid. Still working on finding a better drug. She had developed tardive Dskensia which is causing mouth movements. Very hard illness for anyone to have.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I feel my schizophrenia is residual now. I can relate to all of your posts from my past when I was chronic. I was chronic from 1999 - 2012 and after then was working full time on recovery.

I was born in 1974 so 44 now.

I sometimes think back to the old days, and it was horrible, very distressing.

D

Dickandjane

Do you have an alternative for a Dr. It's important to feel comfortable with your Dr. There are newer drugs that can be tried that might help with arrive deskynesia. Hopefully you find someone . Good luck.

FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

I just cut loose the team I was seeing. I waited a year for Psychology and it was rubbish. I have like you had healthcare people ignore my concerns over side-effects, telling me just to get on with it.

Today as you said, I was told I could go to hospital or get the crisis team involved, then asked questions to see if they could section me.

The behaviour of these people is very damaging in my view, and I took the decision not to see them again. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Not sure if you have been or not, but the worst thing someone said to me was that I was treatment resistant and a difficult 'client' to deal with.

I agree with you, this diagnosis has a pretty bad reputation, but all mental health conditions have a lot of stigma attached to them.

I

iwanthope

FYI hurt tomato I do not have schizophrenia yes? Do you understand ? It's not that I don't understand, YOU clearly do not understand.

I

iwanthope

I need to come off the medication..psychiatry is bullshit. There is no such thing as schizophrenia. Educate yourself

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
FYI hurt tomato I do not have schizophrenia yes? Do you understand ? It's not that I don't understand, YOU clearly do not understand.
Sorry bro, missed that. Yes I see, you claim you were falsely diagnosed to subdue you. I guess it happens.

J

Jonathan_P

Personally I wouldn't change my diagnosis/condition. Why? Because I have learned so much because of it. (That's not to say it's been easy and I have had many "nightmare" experiences ...) However all the pluses (including being grateful for everything) out way the bad.

2C

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I need to come off the medication..psychiatry is bullshit. There is no such thing as schizophrenia. Educate yourself
i have had neighbours with that view, though i can understand, that soon wears thin after months of sleepless nights due to their behaviour, refusing treatment has repercussions for those around you, that i admit is a difference between physical illness

I

iwanthope

i have had neighbours with that view, though i can understand, that soon wears thin after months of sleepless nights due to their behaviour, refusing treatment has repercussions for those around you, that i admit is a difference between physical illness
You seem to be implying that it is ok for people to be medicated to keep them quiet and docile or to please those around them. Medication for the individual is not the answer. It is oppression. A person should not have to be gagged for the benefit of the majority. This is a human rights issue.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you seem to be implying it's ok to come off meds with a high probability you'll make those around you lives a misery

i wouldn't force meds on you though have no doubt i would evict you if your behaviour is that antisocial, and if your found dead under a bridge i'd say thats your choice and decision, i definately wouldn't excuse your behaviour on the grounds of mental illness when the reason was you refusing treatment

I

iwanthope

I'm implying that I am an individual with choices where my life and circumstances mean I shouldn't compromise with others. Everyone is entitled to their choices. To give medication to someone especially coming from a doctor, to subdue their behaviour is unethical. It goes against the hypocratic oath to first cause no harm. To impose medication on someone for being noisy is an abuse. They are entitled to their say. Using your example about noisy neighbours there are many ways of handling the situation rather than using force to get them to change their brain. Medication should not be used for society's problems. Should it?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
whose been talking to you, your just repeating the words of the therapist lot, therapists who have little experience of schitzoprenia only have contact with those who can pay and then have the audacity to claim the moral high ground

I

iwanthope

you seem to be implying it's ok to come off meds with a high probability you'll make those around you lives a misery

i wouldn't force meds on you though have no doubt i would evict you if your behaviour is that antisocial, and if your found dead under a bridge i'd say thats your choice and decision, i definately wouldn't excuse your behaviour on the grounds of mental illness when the reason was you refusing treatment
There is plenty of evidence which has been around for decades that is now mainstream and cannot be ignored due to the huge push it is getting that medication causes problems to the brain in the long term. It is not as simple as saying that when off medication it causes you to behave like this and when on it means you behave like that. Any way, psychosis and the definition of schizophrenia means that a person has a problem with reality and has false beliefs which they hold onto even when proved wrong. This is not how it should be used. This is oppression clear and simple.