• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia & Enlightenment

A

Apotheosis

http://www.ralphmag.org/BJ/perfect-madness.html

http://www.oneinahundred.co.uk/pages/articles/insanity-or-enlightenment.php

Insanity or Enlightenment

R.D.Laing, an unorthodox psychiatrist, emphasised the link between the mystic and the schizophrenic. He stated:

"The mystic and the schizophrenic find themselves in the same ocean, but whereas the mystic swims, the schizophrenic drowns."

I concur wholeheartedly with this observation regarding the connection between the mystic and the schizophrenic, but point out, the so called 'schizophrenic' can learn to swim ... given the opportunity. Often, however, the schizophrenic is dragged under by the very people sent in to help.

Unlike the monks who prepare rigorously and systematically to attain and receive enlightenment, those who experience schizophrenia (the Psyche-sensitives), I believe, have enlightenment thrust upon them. Because we have no disciplined framework or foundation to support us, this imposed enlightenment can be enormously difficult to cope with.

The ether of the planet is heavily charged with humanity's negativity. Psyche-sensitives tune into this ethereal energy and are profoundly affected by it. Our darker thoughts and emotions are often simply a painfully acute empathic response to the ills of the world.

I regard the next step in human evolution to be that of enlightenment and my feeling is that schizophrenia is most certainly an expansion of our psychic capacity. I go further, I regard schizophrenia as not only a personal transformation, but also as part of a global one. A metamorphosis that the sea of humanity is undergoing to lead us into an age of intuition and vision. That may sound prophetic, but as a kindred spirit once remarked to me,

"Where would the Old Testament prophets be today if they lived in our times and in our culture?"

The answer - which should not need spelling out - is in our psychiatric institutions.

In other cultures many that would undoubtedly be diagnosed as schizophrenic if they lived in the West, are embraced by their community as valued individuals who cast light on the dynamics of the Universe and our place within it, as chosen Ones.

The tide, however, is turning in the northern hemisphere and there is a Spiritual Emergence Movement in ascendance that is re-addressing these issues.

One of the many visionaries who have been regarded by their contemporaries as 'outsiders' was Edgar Alan Poe, who would almost certainly have been diagnosed schizophrenic, had such a label been available in the eighteen hundreds. This example was cited in Schizophrenia, Creativity and Spirituality, an obscure essay of the 1980's by Guy Stephens.

A dramatic shift in Edgar Alan Poe’s consciousness, sensitised him to deep cosmological insight and in an inspirational out-pouring, Poe produced a work entitled, Eureka.

The work was published mid-way through the nineteenth century. Coincidentally,the term psychosis was also coined then. At this time atoms were believed to be indivisible, irreducible balls of matter, the solid building blocks of the physical universe. In Eureka it is revealed that matter is reducible to attraction and repulsion. Some fifty years later physicists were to make the discovery that confirms his insight.

He Identified the Milky Way as a galaxy before this had been established by astronomy. He stated the Universe began as a single ball of matter that exploded, preceding the Big Bang Theory by seventy years and also conceived time and space to be one and the same, half a century before Einstein had even been conceived.

Edgar Alan Poe, his revelations, and his book were disregarded and dismissed as irrational, incomprehensible and nonsensical.

One hundred and fifty years on they are the corner stones of contemporary scientific knowledge. An overt reminder of the falsely perceived superiority of scientific analytic experimentations over the validity of an individual's intuitive revelations.

I am not from a religious background, nor do I adhere to any one religious framework or system of belief.

I embrace all religions as possessing components and aspects of truth. Any religious body or individual that declare their way the one and only way I regard as false prophets or more accurately false profits.

I was a devout atheist at nineteen, until via my illumination, I saw and felt the expression of divinity in everything and everyone. I touched the presence, intelligence, beauty and love of the Universal Mind, and know that God is not a reality ... God is reality, or, to express this another way, Everything is, because God is Everything. I do not believe in God; I perceive God. In other words I am aware of the consciousness of the Cosmos. The eyes of truth are watching.

The archives of psychiatric institutions are full of the testimonies of people who have also sensed this. And why are these records retained? As evidence of insanity!

Sages, seers and saints -throughout humanity's history have all received transmissions in the form of voices and had the most extraordinary psychic experiences. Perhaps psychiatrists regard them too as deluded; it would be, by their own limited parameters, the only conclusion to draw.

The other side of the coin, however, is that those who make such judgements and assumptions about others are deluding themselves. It is very convenient for society to classify a section of the community as 'the mad' for it produces the somewhat absurd notion that the rest of the population is normal.

With reference to contemporary psychiatric terminology, The Oxford Companion to the Mind defines psychosis as:

'the misapprehension and misinterpretation of the nature of reality.'

Forgive my naivety, but I was unaware that there was a correct way to apprehend and interpret reality, more to the point I was unaware that there was any consensus let alone certainty regarding the nature of reality at all.

So what is the nature of psychiatry's reality?

Written in the stars of the psychiatric Universe is the word LOGIC. The law that governs their Universe was laid down in 300 BC by the Father of Logic, Aristotle:

A must either be or not be A.

To paraphrase, the world is flat. But as cosmologists and physicists look more deeply into the macro and the micro it is becoming very apparent that the Universe is a multiverse and the truth is, surprise, surprise, that reality is not logical and cannot be interpreted or apprehended logically, i.e. light is both a particle and a wave.

A can B, CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ(and not A)

The vision that is materialising before the very eyes of scientists is one that has long been seen by mystics. It is dawning that the mysterious Universe is also a mystical Universe.

One can understand why psychiatry has created the classification of psychosis, for if psychiatrists were to accept the validity of the testimonies of those who directly experience the multi-dimensional nature of reality they would have to rescind the law that governs their Universe, which would, in turn, invalidate their own reality and by their own rules and definitions, psychiatry itself would be certified psychotic!

The stars would tumble and fall down from their sky and their ludicrous flat earth would be turned upside-down.

So psychiatry padlocks the doors of perception and pockets the keys. The signs placed upon the doors by the Magicians that once said Welcome have been replaced by the Logicians and now say Wellcome-Glaxo and more false profits are made.

D

Danage

Sorry I haven't been on recently. I had no internet access, adn I am currently having other problems, some of them connected to my so-called illness.

On another note, that sounds a bit like what I experienced. I used to believe I was a prophet of the Christian united G-d (i.e. just the Father was G-d). It was declared to my by someone in the guise of my son. Now, however, the person whom I thought was my son from the parallel universe is in fact someone I though against in two wars, back in 3012-3013. Yes, in my son's world they are the future. The years 2018 and 3018 hold special significance to me. I can explain more if you're interested, but I think I mentioned this before.

A

Apotheosis

Sorry I haven't been on recently. I had no internet access, adn I am currently having other problems, some of them connected to my so-called illness.
Life takes over. Hope that things improve.

On another note, that sounds a bit like what I experienced. I used to believe I was a prophet of the Christian united G-d (i.e. just the Father was G-d). It was declared to my by someone in the guise of my son. Now, however, the person whom I thought was my son from the parallel universe is in fact someone I though against in two wars, back in 3012-3013. Yes, in my son's world they are the future. The years 2018 and 3018 hold special significance to me. I can explain more if you're interested, but I think I mentioned this before.
You can chat away about it all as much as you wish. I find it interesting personally. I have had very complex ideas about alternate realities, divinity, simultaneous existence in other bodies, & through time, alien plots; dealing with themes such as the Devil & God, eternity, good & evil - you name it.

D

Danage

OK, thanks.

Well, in 2006 the 'psychosis' began as I became my 'alter-ego'. The parallel universe, with the power of time travel, started in 3017, and became 3017 again one year later, as they found a way to avoid the near annihilation of the Five Races of Man. In 3018 (2008) the Russians rose in revolt against the Grand Duke (who acts as a Tsar) and installed their own government. Persecution caused the Russians to rise up again and restore the Grand Duke, Ivan Ivanovich Romanov.

They also saved the last Tsar (in 1918) from death. In their world, the House of York survived the death of Richard III (apart from Elizabeth of York of course), and eventually rose to become emperors of Earth. The current ruler is me. The Tsar they saved was, iirc, Alexei Nikolaevich of Russia, and not Nicholas Alexandrovich (Nicholas II), his father, hence, as you can tell, the last Tsar was someone else in the parallel universe.

In 3012-13 we fought (not thought, as I originally put, so my apologies for that) a mysterious organisation throughout time, so the start and end dates are a bit ambiguous, as the start was back in time, and the end was also back in time (although later than the start). It's just written as 3012-13 for convenience.

The parallel world is now fighting a war that sounds like World War I, with the German Empire (alone this time), versus the Second Triple Entente (France, Great Britain and Russia). The real leader of the German Empire is not the King of Prussia (as we originally thought, as Prussia invaded Germany), but the current leader of that mysterious organisation we fought back in 3012-13. My son who was bullying me to give up power was not my son (my real son was with his mother the whole time), but the leader of the organisation at the time of the 3012-13 war.

3018 was when the Earth and the Five Races of Man fell, in another parallel universe that has ceased to exist. 2018 is when I said the Messiah would come in my first book. 2018 is also the sevntieth anniversary of the State of Israel's birth (on 14th May).

I hope you can make sense of this.

Thanks for reading.

Shalom.

D

Danage

Another odd thing is that, from what I remember of this world, that I saw the number thirteen everywhere from 1999 to 2005, and then started seeing 2018 from 2008 onwards. I think the reason is that thirteen years from 2005 is 2018. What does everybody else think?

In regards to the above post, I can't be so sure I got the name right for Alexei Romanov, son of the last Tsar (in this world), hence why I put iirc.

A

Apotheosis

I hope you can make sense of this.
Thanks for sharing it. From certain perspectives it makes sense. Subjectively I think a lot of these 'states' & ideas are part of a meaningful psychological process. In my own life I have found a framework of meaning, a map, certain perspectives that do hold an explanation for a lot of the things I experienced when totally 'psychotic'.

Do these things have objective meaning & tangible reality. Well, the jury is still out on the nature of reality. I don't buy the strictly orthodox view, the scientific reductionist, materialistic paradigm, as being total to all there is. In many ways, our material Universe is but a tiny part of what is.

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nnwj0Cl_5k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nnwj0Cl_5k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvKP0SERi6c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvKP0SERi6c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAYO7ENPMk0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAYO7ENPMk0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

T

Twylight

That's interesting Apo
When I become schitzo, I can see all the evil and flaws in people
Like my money grabbing aetheist friend becomes ridiculous and laughable - he becomes a total ignorant tosser !!

D

Danage

Thanks for sharing it. From certain perspectives it makes sense. Subjectively I think a lot of these 'states' & ideas are part of a meaningful psychological process. In my own life I have found a framework of meaning, a map, certain perspectives that do hold an explanation for a lot of the things I experienced when totally 'psychotic'.

Do these things have objective meaning & tangible reality. Well, the jury is still out on the nature of reality. I don't buy the strictly orthodox view, the scientific reductionist, materialistic paradigm, as being total to all there is. In many ways, our material Universe is but a tiny part of what is.
It makes perfect sense to me, its just that I know everything there is to know about the parallel universe, the equivalent of Plato's World of the Forms. Everything in the parallel world has meaning. When I started writing the story down in my head there were several things that were unexplainable, but with my son, it became explainable (such as the Prophetess is the Woman With the Silver Key, silver is symbolic of the good and evil on Earth - this last part was explained by my son). I know exactly what is going to happen, because:

1. I wrote the story, or
  2. The story is real, and because of the Prophetess, and time travel, I know what is to come.

The experiences have meaning, even if they are not real, for everything happens for a purpose, so I agree with you on that.

I hope that I make sense once again. Thanks for reading.

Shalom.

M

maudikie

Maudikie

I find this discourse extremely interesting,My only contribution is that I am uncertain aboug God. To me it is a name for womething that is much greatere than homo sapiens. To look at the trees and the flowers and all things in nature, the moon and the stars and the change fromdark to light and back again. the power of the sea and the wind are beyond an's ability and imgination. Men and women are very small parts in the eternal. Each of us can only do our best - and yes! I do believe in good and evil. but I also believe that good will triumph.

T

Twylight

Yep,i'm uncertain about God too

I sometimes wonder if we're being tested for greater powers- like we become mini-gods
Perhaps something is coming from afar that threatens even God's existence

Perhaps God needs our help ?

A

Apotheosis

Enlightenment & Madness

I've been though 17 years of active addiction; during which time I was hospitalised 4 times. During the past 20 years I've had 7 major episodes/breakdowns.

I've been clean from drink/drugs for over 9 years; I live an independent life & I have made a lot of progress; being stable now for over 6 years.

Ever since a kid I've been greatly interested in spirituality. I would class myself as having had experiences of Satori, awareness of samsara, & moments of enlightenment.

It has been, however as if there is some kind of a block, a fear, & an inability to fully experience & integrate such experiences. It is like the mind hasn't been able to cope with such things; & fuses & circuits get blown.

I feel that I have a strong spirit, & open heart. But there is still a lot of interference with the mind.

I'd say that the heart is fully connected with soul/spirit/higher self/monad ect. & it's a case bringing the head/mind into alignment.

Classing the 'lower self' as being the Astral, Physical, Mental & Etheric bodies; & the need to cleanse these bodies & resolve the psychological issues on these levels & fully transcend the 'negative ego'; I can see the need for a deeper balance & deeper psychological resolution.

On a spiritual level I feel that everything is fine.

This is not an ago problem. I know about the ego. I'm not egotistical - it's more an issues of not fully acknowledging the strength of my heart & soul; & not acknowledging the point that I am at. I've been selling myself short.

I realise the need to understand the past - instead of fearing it; & the need to fully accept & embrace the fact of who I am.

Does anyone relate to what I am talking about? can anyone suggest constructive advice? Has anyone else gone through this or is going through it?

I'm not really interested in any replies saying that I'm mistaken in any way about these things; as I know it's the truth of what I have experienced/am experiencing.

M

maudikie

Apotheosis

Enlightenment & Madness

I've been though 17 years of active addiction; during which time I was hospitalised 4 times. During the past 20 years I've had 7 major episodes/breakdowns.

I've been clean from drink/drugs for over 9 years; I live an independent life & I have made a lot of progress; being stable now for over 6 years.

Ever since a kid I've been greatly interested in spirituality. I would class myself as having had experiences of Satori, awareness of samsara, & moments of enlightenment.

It has been, however as if there is some kind of a block, a fear, & an inability to fully experience & integrate such experiences. It is like the mind hasn't been able to cope with such things; & fuses & circuits get blown.

I feel that I have a strong spirit, & open heart. But there is still a lot of interference with the mind.

I'd say that the heart is fully connected with soul/spirit/higher self/monad ect. & it's a case bringing the head/mind into alignment.

Classing the 'lower self' as being the Astral, Physical, Mental & Etheric bodies; & the need to cleanse these bodies & resolve the psychological issues on these levels & fully transcend the 'negative ego'; I can see the need for a deeper balance & deeper psychological resolution.

On a spiritual level I feel that everything is fine.

This is not an ago problem. I know about the ego. I'm not egotistical - it's more an issues of not fully acknowledging the strength of my heart & soul; & not acknowledging the point that I am at. I've been selling myself short.

I realise the need to understand the past - instead of fearing it; & the need to fully accept & embrace the fact of who I am.

Does anyone relate to what I am talking about? can anyone suggest constructive advice? Has anyone else gone through this or is going through it?

I'm not really interested in any replies saying that I'm mistaken in any way about these things; as I know it's the truth of what I have experienced/am experiencing.
{QUOTE} from maudikie.
I respect your comming off medicines and being reasonably fit. As you know I subscribe to the medical model,and wonder ifsome small doseagemight help you get rid of the symptoms you describe.
Your decision -Bestwishes.