• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Schizophrenia diagnosis

A

AAGille93

Sorry for sounding thick;

I was diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenia in March 2018 and have had multiple IP stays since then, however my CPN sent care plan paperwork two weeks ago and it now says I have a diagnosis of Treatment Resistive Schizophrenia..

She was also adamant I tell my work coach (part of Universal Credit) that my diagnosis is this not Paranoid Schizophrenia anymore?

I thought the Paranoid subtype was the more severe but most common? Can anyone shed any light?

thanks guys, stay safe 😊

A

AAGille93

It is your choice what to tell your Work Coach, not your CPN's. She can just advise.

To me it is much of a muchness. I am treatment resistive but my diagnosis has not changed in 9 years.
She said it being nice, she just said I need to notify them it’s changed as I’m not diagnosed paranoid subtype anymore..

I thought that it meant as I wasn’t diagnosed a subtype that means it isn’t as severe?

sorry for being thick.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i asked my gp what the diagnosis was he said residual schitzoprenia i said not paranoid he said you can get better from paranoid, maybe thats what the cpn was thinking the dwp does have a habit of declaring people better

On Fire

On Fire

I thought schizophrenia is just schizophrenia, the sub types were abandoned in the latest DSM.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
got my assessment residual schitzoprenia? the sub types are still going strong if they've been abandoned they haven't heard yet

N

natalie

I can't comment as such, as i was never thoroughly diagnosed. However, I learned within me, years later, I have paranoia issues. mild forms of paranoia issues. Also I have intruisve reactions within szchiophrenia, and heard voices. Part icuarly, I do suffer when they flare up, mild forms of paranoia.

On Fire

On Fire

The term "paranoid schizophrenia" is no longer used in the United States, since the 2013 change in the DSM-V that classifies the range of symptoms of former sub-types all under "schizophrenia".[1] Schizophrenia is defined as "a chronic mental disorder in which a person is withdrawn from reality".[2] Before 2013, schizophrenia had been divided into subtypes based on the "predominant symptomatology at the time of evaluation".[3] The subtypes were classified as paranoid, disorganized, catatonic, undifferentiated, and residual type. However, they are not completely separate diagnoses, and cannot predict the progression of the mental illness.[4]

Paranoid schizophrenia

Passionflower

Passionflower

I have paranoid schizophrenia but I am also classed as treatment resistant. The treatment resistant is not a diagnosis as such.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member

The term "paranoid schizophrenia" is no longer used in the United States, since the 2013 change in the DSM-V that classifies the range of symptoms of former sub-types all under "schizophrenia".[1] Schizophrenia is defined as "a chronic mental disorder in which a person is withdrawn from reality".[2] Before 2013, schizophrenia had been divided into subtypes based on the "predominant symptomatology at the time of evaluation".[3] The subtypes were classified as paranoid, disorganized, catatonic, undifferentiated, and residual type. However, they are not completely separate diagnoses, and cannot predict the progression of the mental illness.[4]

Paranoid schizophrenia
i'm not in the states

L

linus

Yes, but DSM is the “bible” for the whole world in this area

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Yes, but DSM is the “bible” for the whole world in this area
but not so far for that psychiatrist at the cmhc he prefers the international classification of diseases, how he can diagnose without seeing me

L

linus

In Romania they use ICD to give you the diagnosis, but always educate themselves with DSM.
And of course it’s stupid to claim you can diagnose, somebody in this field, remotely