• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

schizophrenia coming off meds

L

liam1978

I'm 36 diagnosed at 16 been on most antiphycotic meds recently last 8 months have improved on paliperidone and progabalin am coming of meds in end of January is there anyone out there that have come of meds for a while and first time on forum

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi,

I'm sorry that I can't help with your question, hopefully someone will come along soon with some advice. I just wanted to say a quick hello and welcome to the forum.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Hello and welcome to the forum

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Hi liam, welcome to the forum. There's a section on medications here, it might be worth posting in there, plus there's a sticky thread at the top of that section about safely withdrawing from meds which may have some useful info. If you need any help finding your way around the forum, do ask, we'll do our best to help. There's a section on how to use the forum here, and this thread in particular may be helpful.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

R

Rose19602

Hi and :welcome:
There are several people on the forum who have been in your situation....including me!

I've come off ADs though, not antipsychotics, and the two have similarities and differences. The time you have been on the AP's is possibly important.....

If you go to the treatments section of the forum, you will find lots of threads about meds. The Schizophrenia forum will also provide food for thought.

If you are looking for support please ask. Some will tell you withdrawl is not possible whilst other's will tell you it is! I will tell you it's a difficult and lengthy process and that you may or may not succeed depending on your personal response to withdrawl and how much respect you give to your body and the effects of these drugs.

I would personally advise you to read up on everything you can about withdrawl before you attempt it and to proceed with extreme caution.

I would like to tell you that your psych's advice will be the best to follow....but experience tells me that the medical profession underestimate the effects and length of the withdrawl process. Some professionals are more helpful than others and there is help out there....although thin on the ground!

There is a wealth of experience of psych drug use and withdrawl on this forum and everyone's experience is valid as we are all different. Look through it and then take advice with due consideration perhaps! I found the support on this forum to be warm and helpful.

You are very welcome to pick my brains anytime. I went through withdrawl and developed heart problems and a severe withdrawl reaction to ADs....but I am now med free. I very much respect the effects of these drugs and the withdrawl process and believe that an educated approach is the best way forward to avoid the problems I faced. If this is an approach that you respect too, please feel free to talk to me about it.

I hope that you find what you are looking for on here....and Welcome again!
x

Last edited by a moderator: