• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Schizophrenia and work

veela

veela

Hey.
Are you honest with your colleagues at work about your illness?
I am working since one month and people at work asked me about my past and i lied about it because i feel ashamed about it and scared that they will not understand me and push me away.
I also went playing table tennis with one guy and lied about my past because he asked.
Idk what i should do. Any advice?

EdEd

EdEd

Stick in your comfort zone , if you feel like you want to tell someone about your illness go ahead and tell them. If you don't feel comfortable with disclosing this information then don't tell them. It's really all up to you..

S

singsongfun

Carry on lying. People won't accept schizophrenia.

veela

veela

I am already an odd person and if they know about the illness i am scared that they will see me as even more odd or maybe they get scared or whatever.. I am probably not going to tell them. I don't think it will solve my problem with being uncomfortable around them..

Mothman

Mothman

Unfortunately the vast majority of people know nothing about schizophrenia in the absolute best case scenario, but much more likely think it means you might snap any day now and twist their head off and eat their eyes. They will also likely cease to see you as competent and put no stock into anything you say. I would strongly advise not telling anybody that isn't INCREDIBLY close to you and likely to understand and accept you.

M

morty2

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This question always intrigues me,,,do you tell people in a job about your illness???. I would probably want to now,,,but have not said before about my OCD. Some people do not get it!!.

L

Lab rat

The last time i was employed by a company, the job ended on march 2020 because of cv. The company has recently reached out to me to ask me to retake my former role. But for personal reasons, I’m more interested in pursuing a career in web design. I used the time i was off work to get my quals. I’m more interested in the self employed route, but i have made some applications for front end roles. Wish me luck!

I have never told anyone at work about my illness and nobody has ever guessed

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

I also work, live with schizophrenia and am a bit odd. :)

I do not share my personal information at work. It would serve no purpose. I do not require special treatment for my condition. Why bother concerning my coworkers with it?

veela

veela

I also work, live with schizophrenia and am a bit odd. :)

I do not share my personal information at work. It would serve no purpose. I do not require special treatment for my condition. Why bother concerning my coworkers with it?
Very true. Why bother them with it. I just was concerned about the aspect of lying about my past. I like honesty you know. And if i become friends with someone i still can explain it to him. So problem solved. Ty for your post :)

L

Lab rat

Very true. Why bother them with it. I just was concerned about the aspect of lying about my past. I like honesty you know. And if i become friends with someone i still can explain it to him. So problem solved. Ty for your post :)
If someone directly asks, I wouldn’t lie. But no one ever has

D

danmarkok89

In my case, it's a bit of a dead giveaway as my references for my volunteer job came from the forensic CMHT so they'd have to be pretty daft to not realise there is something amiss and I am a bit odd anyway. Truth be told, i mentioned to my boss that I have some mental health problems and they didn't ask any more than that and if anything, at the minute I feel more sorry for the guy volunteering there who has aspergers who is a bit odd as well but the boss just loses her temper with him. fortunately for me, my schizophrenia is under reasonably good control so it's hardly noticeable whereas the guy with aspergers just has some peculiar mannerisms and can go on about things a bit and he kind of sticks out a bit more. Luckily, at least for now i'm ok and don't really care if people judge me, everyone at my job is kind of strange anyway so I kind of fit in and I don't really care if they don't want me there, I can just as happily sit at home on the sofa drinking coffee and watching tv or reading or sleeping or doing some mindfulness or something as my benefits won't be affected so no matter what happens, i'm living quite comfortably

lifecangetbetter

lifecangetbetter

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey.
Are you honest with your colleagues at work about your illness?
I am working since one month and people at work asked me about my past and i lied about it because i feel ashamed about it and scared that they will not understand me and push me away.
I also went playing table tennis with one guy and lied about my past because he asked.
Idk what i should do. Any advice?
DONT tell them you hear things. they will discredit you and respect you less. its better they don't know