• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Schizophrenia and Spravato

S

schizophrenicpride

My doctor is considering putting me on Spravato to help with some of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Has anyone had experience with this treatment?

D

danmarkok89

never heard of it, it sounds like some fancy Italian kind of coffee, hmmmm delicious!

sorry I couldn't be of much use!

D

danmarkok89

just googled it, it's esketamine! I'm not a psychiatrist but i'm sceptical on this being of any use to someone with schizophrenia! Of course I might be wrong, very very wrong but I think that whole psychedelic movement wasn't really intended for the likes of us, even if approved by a doctor, like I said though, I might be very very wrong, I'm just thinking it doesn't sound like a good idea taking hallucinogenic drugs to treat an illness that makes you hallucinate and responds badly to illicit substances, particularly hallucinogens which spravato or esketamine is, even despite being legal and prescribed. I'd be curious to know the proposed or hypothetical mode of action in treating negative symptoms in schizophrenia, which if i remember it correctly is correlated with a deficit of dopamine in the mesocortical tract, at least that's what some of the old textbooks i have say...

S

schizophrenicpride

just googled it, it's esketamine! I'm not a psychiatrist but i'm sceptical on this being of any use to someone with schizophrenia! Of course I might be wrong, very very wrong but I think that whole psychedelic movement wasn't really intended for the likes of us, even if approved by a doctor, like I said though, I might be very very wrong, I'm just thinking it doesn't sound like a good idea taking hallucinogenic drugs to treat an illness that makes you hallucinate and responds badly to illicit substances, particularly hallucinogens which spravato or esketamine is, even despite being legal and prescribed. I'd be curious to know the proposed or hypothetical mode of action in treating negative symptoms in schizophrenia, which if i remember it correctly is correlated with a deficit of dopamine in the mesocortical tract, at least that's what some of the old textbooks i have say...
[/QUOT

S

schizophrenicpride

Thank you for your insights. I can see where the negative symptoms might be treated as they are similar to those of treatment resistant depression. You’ve given me a lot to think about and ask my doctor.

D

danmarkok89

Cool, glad I could potentially help but like I said, I don't know, i'm just sceptical. A lot of that new age psychedelic stuff like DMT and magic mushrooms etc might 'sound' great for a lot of people but if you really have schizophrenia, then I would urge caution! obviously I don't know how much your doctor would prescribe you or how often, that is something to think about but when I was in hospital I met people who were beyond repair and the meds were doing nothing for them at all and the staff basically said it was because of drugs which kind of made sense because some of them couldn't resist trying to get high. Now schizophrenia never affected me in that kind of way, then again, I never was that into the whole psychedelic stuff thankfully although I did drop acid a few times when I was younger, luckily I wasn't one of those people who took a trip and never came out of it again!

D

danmarkok89

I think that is something that a lot of people in the media hyping this whole psychedelic stuff aren't talking about or are being purposely quiet about is the fact that some people just don't react well to psychedelics, like at all, as the story goes, some people might take a dose of something and they never stop being fucked up after that. Just because something is clean and prescribed or comes from a shop doesn't mean it is safe, especially for everyone. It's probably like cannabis, most people can smoke it and be fine but every now and again, someone gets either a really bad experience or they might even become unwell although I'm guessing they have to have a predisposition to have certain experiences or illnesses (like schizophrenia or psychosis) in the first place for them to have a bad reaction.
There was in interesting study / meta-analysis that was once entirely free to view in it's entirety on the ncbi.nlm.nih or whatever it's called website / journal by weiser et al (an israeli psychiatrist and his colleagues) that took a look at some of the data on the link between schizophrenia and cannabis and and he supposed that through looking at various data pools, there was a link between cannabis and schizophrenia, it was his hypothesis that it was not a causal link (the article has not been retracted and has been up for many many years so i'm guessing it must be at least somewhat credible) as whilst cannabis use has gone up quite a lot over the years and the strength (THC percentage etc) has increased over the last many years, the rate of schizophrenia has remained stable. Essentially if a causes b and a increases in strength and frequency etc then b must increase and that didn't appear to be the case so it would seem that some people who smoke or ingest cannabis and have psychotic experiences have a predisposition but the cannabis doesn't cause that, which basically mirrors what the NHS says about drugs in general on the schizophrenia page. That being said though, if you've been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder, the meds are working well and the side effects are tolerable then it would seem very sensible to abstain from anything like that, I know we're all only human and treatment alone, let alone life in general can be difficult for everyone but you just got to try and get through this without risking becoming treatment resistant or needing to up your dose and live with more side effects, especially if you know that you sometimes get dangerous when you become unwell. It's all a bit shit as I used to love my weed but life can be ok without it as long as I'm well and that I can live with the side effects of the meds...