• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia and self-neglect?

porkpie

porkpie

You know how people suffer negative symptoms with Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective Disorder and a general decline in social functioning, physical appearance tends to go and ones starts to look unkempt, can one have the opposite if they had a bad childhood and generally looked like a tramp so makes effort to look groomed while still suffering negative symptoms?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
schitzoprenia mainly consisting of negative symptoms of lack of motivation and drive with a degree of self neglect in addition to the thought disorder

I keep myself clean now but worry it'll be held against me by the benefit system

R

Rose19602

I should imagine that anything is possible within the diagnosis, as it can be interpreted in so many ways.

I think if you were neglected in that way as a child, making an effort now that you have control over your own life (rather than being at the mercy of parents) would be incredibly important to you. Whether or not that could overcome the negative symptoms of schizophrenia I don't know. I guess it depends on how severe your negative symptoms are?

x

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'm not sure i beleive in negative symptoms a diagnosis of schitzoprenia writes people off, even if they do try anfd fight they're still trapped by the label, so it may be a natural response to the situation

R

Rose19602

I respect what you're saying Rambo if they come on after diagnosis, but what if the negative symptoms are there before you get diagnosed? Presumably they must be for a lot of people.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I respect what you're saying Rambo if they come on after diagnosis, but what if the negative symptoms are there before you get diagnosed? Presumably they must be for a lot of people.
if they come on before your diagnosed they're not negative symptoms of schitzoprenia, technically they're a sign your a scrounger the treatment for which is a good kick up the arse

R

Rose19602

Well, that's an interesting take on it!

What if the person isn't interested in receiving benefits....does that still make them a scrounger?

Passionflower

Passionflower

I don't really neglect myself to any noticeable degree. I have paranoid schizophrenia which is not supposed to have so many negative symptoms, so maybe that is why I manage better.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I am improving in recent times. I still get down, depressed and demotivated. I am not that bad and not that great.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Well, that's an interesting take on it!

What if the person isn't interested in receiving benefits....does that still make them a scrounger?
people with private money who don't need benefits aren't scroungers, they're decent tax payers

E

earthbound_misfit

if they come on before your diagnosed they're not negative symptoms of schitzoprenia, technically they're a sign your a scrounger the treatment for which is a good kick up the arse
Surely the symptoms must come before diagnosis? Otherwise why would they diagnose you at all?

Last edited:
porkpie

porkpie

Surely the symptoms must come before diagnosis? Otherwise why would they diagnose you at all?
I presented with positive symptoms first (delusions, auditory hallucinations) then developed negative symptoms when the antipsychotics kicked in.

L

lovagemuffin

you know I think the memory part of schizophrenia has a lot to do with this, I simply forget to brush my teeth or brush my hair etc. its a real pain understand your frustration.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
and whether been put on powerful drugs that make you tired and inactive causes negative symptoms, god knows

i went through a period when i was rediagnosed as not schitzoprenic and the local social services considered what i needed was a good kick up the arse to encourage me to work, appeared i was a scrounger

porkpie

porkpie

and whether been put on powerful drugs that make you tired and inactive causes negative symptoms, god knows

i went through a period when i was rediagnosed as not schitzoprenic and the local social services considered what i needed was a good kick up the arse to encourage me to work, appeared i was a scrounger
Ramboghettouk, You're mentioned ' being a scrounger' alot recently. I claim benefits and don't consider myself a scrounger, you know like yourself I have a genuine disability and I class myself as disabled, You are not a scrounger in the least.