• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Schizophrenia and Relationships

shaky

shaky

I'm sure I remember reading that schizphrenics find it hard to form close relationships - and not just because people are scared away by the diagnosis.
But I can't find anywhere that explains why this should be

I have had only 1 girlfriend my entire life and I'm trying to find out if it might be my schizoaffective disorder causing the problem - or just me being unlucky (or too short).

Why would being schizophrenic make it hard to form a relationship - even when I'm not hearing voices or having delusions?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Simply because having an illness such as this - life becomes so much harder. So we have a daily struggle which some people have trouble relating to. They may see you in a negative light etc.

C

Crazy Lady In Stanton

There is absolutely no reason why someone with schizophrenia would have problems forming relationships except for the bigotry of others. But the good news is that not everyone is a bigot. You can form friendships and eventually find a girlfriend. There are only two things you need to do to make that happen. First, go out and meet new people. Second, treat others the way you'd like to be treated, with kindness and respect. You have every reason to have hope for the future. Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise. I have schizoaffective disorder, and I've been married for over twenty years. I also have a very good friend. And I'm always looking to meet new people.

C

Crazy Lady In Stanton

Don't listen to negative people. There are good people out there, both men and women. You just need to find them. Life is like a treasure hunt. Happy hunting!

B

backagain2

Personally, since becoming schizophrenic, and being outcast by my family. I got to the point where I trusted no one. It makes it hard to even "make friends" with people, on the one hand, feeling insane from hearing, seeing, and feeling things that can't be seen with the naked eye by others. On the other hand, some of the people that I was trying to become friends with,already have judged me upon hearing schizophrenia, even when they had an illness themselves. I've always been pleasant and kind to people I meet, but I still can not even find a "friend", that I can touch, let alone, find a relationship. Don't give up hope, but not all of us are as lucky to find a lasting friendship, let alone a lasting relationship.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I was diagnosed with adjustment disorder with severe symptoms of depression as a reaction to my schizophrenia diagnosis so being diagnosed with one mental illness caused me to be diagnosed with another one. I do have several close friends who I have met through mental health support groups and have been in relationships with women I've met at groups one of which has lasted for about ten years. Don't lose heart folks if nothing else you can find friendship and solace amongst your peers.

F

firemonkee57

I think social/social skills deficits can play their part when it comes to difficulty forming relationships. Even if not experiencing positive symptoms, like delusions and hallucinations, cognitive and negative ones could significantly impair the ability to form close relationships.

telekinesis

telekinesis

i just was tlaking to my friend on fb about how i had a thought about an hour ago about how no woman will ever want to be my gf because of how shitty the world is. basically his response was that its genetic preservation to seek out a provider or someone who is ideal for breeding.

my thoughts are that since we are sometimes disconnected from reality we understand life differently and most of the time we dont think about breeding or having a bf/gf. its only when we or when I start to get in that funk of having been single for 6 or 7 years do i start to get upset and how im not ok with not having anyone.

also i think it should be said of the stigma that surrounds mental illness does not make us the most appealing candidate for the dating scene.

shaky

shaky

I think social/social skills deficits can play their part when it comes to difficulty forming relationships. Even if not experiencing positive symptoms, like delusions and hallucinations, cognitive and negative ones could significantly impair the ability to form close relationships.
Is it possible for you to elaborate on those points, please?

F

firemonkee57

Schizophrenia symptoms fall into three categories: positive, negative, and cognitive. Social issues appear in each group of symptoms.

Positive symptoms: Positive symptoms describe those that schizophrenia adds to a person — symptoms that should not be there, like hallucinations and delusions. The positive symptoms of schizophrenia tend to make the general population uneasy, which can interfere with a person's ability to socialize with others.

Negative symptoms: Negative symptoms reflect the absence of traits and abilities that most other people have. These include: lack of interest in activities, a flat emotional affect, indifference about relationships, and an inability to complete tasks. Duckworth says low motivation, a negative symptom, may be a factor in social deficits; some people are simply not motivated to interact with others.

Cognitive symptoms: Cognitive symptoms are related to thinking, memory and decision-making processes. "Some people have difficulty organizing their thinking," Duckworth says, and this can affect how they express themselves in social situations.

Social Deficits and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia Center - EverydayHealth.com