Schizophrenia and noisy neighbours

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I just ring the council's main number, and a message comes on giving me an option to make a noise complaint, then I'm put thought to someone who takes details, then later on (usually about 45 minutes later) the noise officer calls me to ask me if the music is still going on, and whether or not I want them to visit my property to witness the sound.
councils are a postcode lottery, that is the postcode lottery

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

councils are a postcode lottery, that is the postcode lottery
That's true, with some councils they don't come out at all when you phone them, they don't have a noise patrol, you have to book a call-out during the day. In Tendring council in Essex that's what you had to do.
It's very strange, because, especially if you have a mental illness it destroys you life. The authorities simply don't take it seriously enough

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
That's true, with some councils they don't come out at all when you phone them, they don't have a noise patrol, you have to book a call-out during the day. In Tendring council in Essex that's what you had to do.
It's very strange, because, especially if you have a mental illness it destroys you life. The authorities simply don't take it seriously enough
and if you complain about problem neighbours and you have a mental illness it's put down to that

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

and if you complain about problem neighbours and you have a mental illness it's put down to that
Very true, once you tell them you have a mental illness, the mental illness becomes the problem,- my advice, just don't tell them.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

The girl has remained quiet, while I'm typing this there is ABSOLUTELY NO noise, and it's been like that ever since the noise patrol spoke to her. My mental illness is certainly feeling the benefits of it, I feel so MUCH better. :welcome:
People like her who are addicted to loud music should never play it, they should wear headphones all the time, unless they live in the middle of a field far away from people or something. Her mental illness was affecting my mental illness. :sorry:
I just need to try and find out what has been said to her to make her so quiet, because she's never done that before when she's been spoken to. :confused:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Very true, once you tell them you have a mental illness, the mental illness becomes the problem,- my advice, just don't tell them.
but the housing know you wouldn't have been housed otherwise, as the oaps said to david how did you get in?

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

but the housing know you wouldn't have been housed otherwise, as the oaps said to david how did you get in?
I see what you mean, but in my case I've done several mutual exchanges, or swaps with other tenants since I was housed for having a mental illness, so my present council don't know as much as the first council I was with.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I spoke too soon it seems; for the first time since the noise patrol came out, she is paying her music very very loudly, I already feel tense and depressed. :nod1:
The noise team have logged it, but on Bank holiday Monday there is no-one available for a call-out.
It means that I have no choice now but to leave my house for the day, and go out. :nod2:

Kerome

Kerome

You are making me feel very grateful for being in a quiet area where I live... it’s flats but it’s quiet as a ghost town, mostly older people and very little music.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I feel very lucky to be able to afford a small house in a quiet neighborhood. Partly because I am guilty of liking to play my music loud once in a while, only when my wife isn't home because she doesn't like it. It doesn't bother the neighbors because of the distance between our houses. Sometimes I hear the neighbor's music though because he put in a hot tub which plays music on the edge of our property. When we rented, I never played the music loud out of consideration for the neighbors. I used headphones.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Sorry to hear that she is being loud again. I suspect the council either told her that they would be informing her landlord or that they would get a court order to confiscate her sterio etc. Keep logging the incidents and hopefully the noise people will remind her of whatever they said last time this week.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
a schitzoprenic women in my mind group got a threatening letter about playing loud music, reduced her to a right state

my first thought is is she one of the medication refuseniks

Last edited:
DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I feel very lucky to be able to afford a small house in a quiet neighborhood. Partly because I am guilty of liking to play my music loud once in a while, only when my wife isn't home because she doesn't like it. It doesn't bother the neighbors because of the distance between our houses. Sometimes I hear the neighbor's music though because he put in a hot tub which plays music on the edge of our property. When we rented, I never played the music loud out of consideration for the neighbors. I used headphones.
Do you live in America? I think the layouts of neighborhoods tends to be better in America. Here in England many of us live cheek by jowl, the party walls often seem to be wafer thin. That girl next door by rights should play her music using headphones, but of course she prefers the sound of it coming from the speakers.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

Sorry to hear that she is being loud again. I suspect the council either told her that they would be informing her landlord or that they would get a court order to confiscate her sterio etc. Keep logging the incidents and hopefully the noise people will remind her of whatever they said last time this week.
Since her last episode of loud music on Sunday, she has been quiet again, something seems to have worked.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

a schitzoprenic women in my mind group got a threatening letter about playing loud music, reduced her to a right state

my first thought is is she one of the medication refuseniks
You could well be right, she certainly seems rather unwell, especially considering she won't leave her house. Maybe she's on the forum somewhere. who knows.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You could well be right, she certainly seems rather unwell, especially considering she won't leave her house. Maybe she's on the forum somewhere. who knows.
it's not easy having a kid with schitzoprenia constantly worrying if it's going to be taken into care

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Yes I live in the U.S.A. I have to admit I like the music out of speakers better than headphones. That's why I like living in a house that has some distance between the neighbors so the sound doesn't bother each other.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you can hear the neighbours making love in these flats emma likes moaning, i remember one women asked me where i learnt that trick, listening to the neighbour downstairs at 2 in the morning

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

it's not easy having a kid with schitzoprenia constantly worrying if it's going to be taken into care
Her kid won't be taken into care, her grandmother looks after her. I don't think the authorities bother with her, in fact I think that they think the kid is living with her mother because I don't think she pays the bedroom tax.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

There is good and bad news. Despite that one day last Sunday when she pumped the music out, the girl has been quiet ever since.
However, when I attempted to phone the environmental health yesterday to find out what's going on, although I din't speak to the person dealing with the case, they seemed to suggest that they have only written a standard warning letter to the girl, and no other action is going to be taken. They won't answer my councilors letters either, and I remember when I complained to them in writing a couple of years ago, they wrote back and basically 'told me off' for complaining about that woman for simply wanting to play music in her own home. :sorry: