Schizophrenia and noisy neighbours

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I suffer from various mental health problems including delusions and depression, and I have a very noisy female neighbour next to me who doesn't work and likes to be in all the time. I want to move, but it's very difficult for me to motivate myself. She was suppose to be in temporary accommodation but she has been next to me for over 3 years by herself in a 2 bedroom house. I'm living in Newham in London, and when I talk to the council about my plight they simply don't want to know. It's very difficult for me, and not surprisingly it's making my condition a lot worse. She is always listening to loud music and I can hear it in every part of my house.
Has anyone got any suggestions because it's difficult for me to know what to do other than to go out as much as possible and try to motivate myself to move.
I've been going through hell, I would be much better and weller if she would quieten down. Yes I have talked to her and asked her to quieten things down, and she calls me a bully for that reason. :curseyou:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you have my sympathy, i wonder what the grounds for housing her on the application were, some people ruin it for everyone else

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
I sympathise we have had a similar problem with a noisy neighbour and it really affected my husbands mental health. We went through all the proper channels with the council noise control people and there were court orders for noise control but in the end we still had to move :sorry:

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

Yes it plays absolute havoc with my mental health problems, and it's a feeling like no other, it's stopping me from getting better.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

you have my sympathy, i wonder what the grounds for housing her on the application were, some people ruin it for everyone else
When we were on speaking terms she told me that she had been moved into that private house in an emergency because of domestic violence. Her mother looks after her child so a lot of the time she is there on her own in a two bed house. She will have been there 4 years this December.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I sympathise we have had a similar problem with a noisy neighbour and it really affected my husbands mental health. We went through all the proper channels with the council noise control people and there were court orders for noise control but in the end we still had to move :sorry:
I think I will almost certainly have to end up moving, I'm already in the process of looking at other properties. I'm viewing 2 next week, all because of her.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Yes it plays absolute havoc with my mental health problems, and it's a feeling like no other, it's stopping me from getting better.
i remember when i was going through my getting better phase some nurse at uni said no one gets better from schitzoprenia, if thats any comfort, though saying it's making you worse and that potentially they may have to spend more money on you may concern them

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
When we were on speaking terms she told me that she had been moved into that private house in an emergency because of domestic violence. Her mother looks after her child so a lot of the time she is there on her own in a two bed house. She will have been there 4 years this December.
hows she avoiding the bedroom tax and presumably what benefits is she on

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

hows she avoiding the bedroom tax and presumably what benefits is she on
Ummm, according to her, and when we were on speaking terms a long time ago, she said she was on the highest level of DLA. However, if the council aren't aware her mother looks after her child she will avoid the bedroom tax. It's the Easter holidays and the child has gone back with her mother, the girl in question is there on her own with friends.
Sorry if I upset anyone here, but she doesn't seem that ill either. She has told me she hears voices though.

M

mrspoon

Ummm, according to her, and when we were on speaking terms a long time ago, she said she was on the highest level of DLA. However, if the council aren't aware her mother looks after her child she will avoid the bedroom tax. It's the Easter holidays and the child has gone back with her mother, the girl in question is there on her own with friends.
Sorry if I upset anyone here, but she doesn't seem that ill either. She has told me she hears voices though.
Has she given you the line that she listens to the music to drown out the voices? Thats what my neighbor told me. Strangely the voices seem very bad when there are friends round....

I had a similar problem, I snapped in the end and got a lot more support but unfortunately Iam on some kind of register now with the police.

I don't think some people understand just how stressful this can be. The only things you can do, is if the music is on after 11pm start phoning the police, has she got a landlord? contact them, If she is on high rate DLA unfortunately she will have significant problems which probably mean it will be very difficult to get her evicted and then you have the domestic violence issue which will make her seem even more 'vunerable'.

The path of least resistance is probably to move. As these days, it seems anti social types get far too much help and understanding. Whatever her medical problems and personal situation,that doesnt mean she needs to blast music out. The people who give her that help and understanding though probably would not want her as a neighbour. Thats the irony of it.

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

Has she given you the line that she listens to the music to drown out the voices? Thats what my neighbor told me. Strangely the voices seem very bad when there are friends round....

I had a similar problem, I snapped in the end and got a lot more support but unfortunately Iam on some kind of register now with the police.

I don't think some people understand just how stressful this can be. The only things you can do, is if the music is on after 11pm start phoning the police, has she got a landlord? contact them, If she is on high rate DLA unfortunately she will have significant problems which probably mean it will be very difficult to get her evicted and then you have the domestic violence issue which will make her seem even more 'vunerable'.

The path of least resistance is probably to move. As these days, it seems anti social types get far too much help and understanding. Whatever her medical problems and personal situation,that doesnt mean she needs to blast music out. The people who give her that help and understanding though probably would not want her as a neighbour. Thats the irony of it.
She tells me she listens to music to drown out her depression.
Yes I think you are right, moving seems to be the only answer. The problem for me is it means going from a house with a garden to a one bed flat, because of the under-occupancy rules. However it means that I will stop paying the bedroom tax :flowers: My fear is that if I stay put I could snap badly and get into trouble with the police. I have snapped a few times already. We all know that people with mental problem s find it more difficult to be rational :BLAH:
After knowing her for a few years, I don't think there is so much wrong with her, I think she has a few problems but she doesn't compare with the schizophrenics I have met and known in the past. She says the reason she listens to music is because it helps with her depression, she said nothing else helps her depression in the same way as music does. She has told me she has taking cannabis too. I expect she still does that.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
It sucks having to move because of someone else's behaviour, but if it's any consolation we are really glad we did as we now have lovely quiet neighbours on both sides and are much happier. My husband was at snapping point too and we wanted to avoid that. Our current house although it is not in such a nice area overall is so peaceful all I can hear right now is our boiler, distant traffic and the wind. Good luck in finding somewhere that suits you better.

T

Twokiwisandabanana

My advice about psychosis and loud neighbours is this
Don't move away because I did that and guess what my delusions MOVED WITH me
We are sort of hyper vigilant to what's going on around us
I try to see the Noie my neighbours make as sort of what I have to put up with in order to avoid being homeless.noisy neighbours are annoying I know but they might be the same when you move.
If it gets really bad film the noise in your phone and THEN send it to the council they can't fob you off then.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I try to see the Noie my neighbours make as sort of what I have to put up with in order to avoid being homeless.noisy neighbours are annoying I know but they might be the same when you move.
If it gets really bad film the noise in your phone and THEN send it to the council they can't fob you off then.
i remember that social worker saying we havenn't any decent housing, but some is better than others, trouble is to get the bettter housing you need a high level of representation, you won't do it alone with a diy move

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
That is a fair point when the noise is part of a delusion. My husband and I have been there too. But an actual noisy neighbour can be torturous.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
That is a fair point when the noise is part of a delusion. My husband and I have been there too. But an actual noisy neighbour can be torturous.
and if you complain they'll put it down to your mental illness not crap social housing, iy seems sad that the guy puts down his problems in social housing to his illness it could be alll social housing is crap

M

mrspoon

When you have had an actual noisy neighbour ,I think you will become overly sensitive to noise afterwards.Before I had a noisy neighbour I ignored all sorts of sounds, especially music, Iam ultra alert now. Before I snapped ,I had another noisy neighbour on the other side of me, who was worse as their home is attached to mine. So the bass music would pound my walls. It was random times as well. So never knew when it would happen. I endured two years of that, then the other clown moved in the other side, and to boot he was a druggie. I went completely beserk one night. Ironically ,it's weird how things worked out, as I got a lot more support which I probably needed from mh services before but I didn't want nothing to do with them. It was basically either accept our help or we will take you to court and lock you up kind of thing.

Iam actually doing better now.

M

mrspoon

and if you complain they'll put it down to your mental illness not crap social housing, iy seems sad that the guy puts down his problems in social housing to his illness it could be alll social housing is crap
It's not just social housing is crap round here, most streets are. I blame it in part on the by to let thing.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It's not just social housing is crap round here, most streets are. I blame it in part on the by to let thing.
i'm not enamoured of the buy to let house next door either

had 3 rings on bell last night, last time at 3 in the morning i went to the window, no one there, as i couldn't sleep afterwards i researched cctv on the net, bought one battery operated that has a motion sensor that if truggered photographs to a sm card, know how to read cards from a digital phitography course

my neighbour is been difficult and saying i have to inform the housing assoc if i install, i pointed out she didn't when she installed the security light, if i do they'll say something beurocratic like they want detailed plans, she may accept it if it's installed by my handymab who used to work for the housing assoc

if i find it's drunken youths or kids complaining could make things worse unfortunately

it is that time when some kids leave school and get drunk until they go on to whatever

Last edited:
schizolanza

schizolanza

I suffer from various mental health problems including delusions and depression, and I have a very noisy female neighbour next to me who doesn't work and likes to be in all the time. I want to move, but it's very difficult for me to motivate myself. She was suppose to be in temporary accommodation but she has been next to me for over 3 years by herself in a 2 bedroom house. I'm living in Newham in London, and when I talk to the council about my plight they simply don't want to know. It's very difficult for me, and not surprisingly it's making my condition a lot worse. She is always listening to loud music and I can hear it in every part of my house.
Has anyone got any suggestions because it's difficult for me to know what to do other than to go out as much as possible and try to motivate myself to move.
I've been going through hell, I would be much better and weller if she would quieten down. Yes I have talked to her and asked her to quieten things down, and she calls me a bully for that reason. :curseyou:
I have a suggestion. Don't move!! Buy a bass guitar and big amp. When it gets too much play it full blast. Give her a taste of her own medicine! Its not fair that she's ruining your quality of life. I know it sounds childish stereo wars but it will make her think that she needs to stop shitting on you all the time!