• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

schizophrenia and kids

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hello everyone. i am in a great relationship and the issue of children has been raised. i would love to hear from any women scitzophrenics who do or do not have children and your opinions on the matter thanks diddy

P

pansdisease

No, don't have kids.

To many problemos.

You might as well be throwing them into a huge pile of shit.

P

Pixieb34

I don't know much, but I know that in pregnancy, the old style anti psychotic drugs are safest ( because there are more years of data proving safety). The problem for me would be that I cannot tolerate the old style drugs, but some women do it. I hope you find out more as I know people at my support group who have kids and schizophrenia, so it can be done...

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
My husband suffers episodes of psychosis. He doesn't currently have a diagnosis and is under an early intervention team. We want to start a family and have given a lot of thought to it. We have had discussions with his CPNs who have been very positive about us having kids and have reassured us that there will be plenty of support available from his team and from social services if we need it. They have reassured us that they have service users on their caseloads who are fab mums and dads. They have recomended we choose a time where my husband has been stable for a while as much as possible. They also advised a strategy for sleepless nights as lack of sleep can be a trigger for my husband getting ill. My GP has been very negative about the idea, CPN was really angry when I told him, said hes in full support and to put in a formal complaint against her!

I think a consderation would be how stable you are. Also how safe your meds are in pregnancy. I would also discuss a crisis plan with your Partner about what would happen if you got poorly at anypoint. CPN also told me that if they are working with someone where there is a child under 5 in the house they have to inform the health visitor with a standard letter but no action would be taken unless there were safeguarding issues.

T

Tonic

You sound responsible. Unlike all of those teenagers who have children so they can get a house and they swear at their own children and don't bother to raise them.

Psychosis is only one illness. Most people have one illness or another. No one is perfect.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K are schizoid and schizotypal on the schizophrenia spectrum Schizophrenia Forum 2
K Does my roommate have schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 5
T Do you think my uncle has schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 10
S Covering the bridge (not the tip) of the nose and symptoms of schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 15
G risperidone schizophrenia side effects with ginkgo biloba Schizophrenia Forum 11
C Can a CT scan help diagnose schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 5
R Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 3
S Silence and symptoms of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Forum 2
Funnyday Got Schizophrenia then get off of a murder charge Schizophrenia Forum 45
On Fire Schizophrenia and discharged to GP Schizophrenia Forum 34
S Work and Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 7
F how many of you believe in God? anybody lost God to schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 31
T Worried that I have Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 10
S Difficulty swallowing and schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Forum 10
S Paranoid schizophrenia continued Schizophrenia Forum 3
S Paranoid Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 10
J anyone have tinnitus with their schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 7
T Maybe it is schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 37
S friend with schizophrenia question Schizophrenia Forum 2
A My strange experiences and how come being mistaken as schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 5
AlwaysinCrown Can be schizophrenia caused by things that happen in my life? Schizophrenia Forum 5
Riah3 Does schizophrenia cause violence Schizophrenia Forum 32
F anybody here studying and doing well in life despite having schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 14
T Hi you guys. How did schizophrenia start out for you? Schizophrenia Forum 9
P Schizophrenia and jobs Schizophrenia Forum 14
B TRIGGER WARNING, Health anxiety sufferers should not read this! Does it look like schizophrenia or dementia? What do you think? Schizophrenia Forum 13
M My schizophrenia has made me a failure Schizophrenia Forum 25
A Schizophrenia diagnosis Schizophrenia Forum 16
I Has Schizophrenia affected your memory or intelligence? Schizophrenia Forum 28
B Residual schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 6
T Schizophrenia and dreams? Schizophrenia Forum 3
Cyborg101 Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 24
L Schizophrenia - Auditory Hallucination Schizophrenia Forum 6
Daybreak What do you think of this article? Myths of Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 8
Daybreak Lyme Disease and Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 1
FadeToBlack Why is other peoples understanding of Schizophrenia so bad? Schizophrenia Forum 3
Mikrokosmos Schizophrenia, Business and Succeed people Schizophrenia Forum 1
J maladaptive daydreaming x schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 10
S Remove schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 2
FlowerBox Was anyone aware of schizophrenia as it was developing? Schizophrenia Forum 7
M Just because I have schizophrenia my mom and stepfather treat me like I am 5 Schizophrenia Forum 2
M Dating with schizophrenia part 2 Schizophrenia Forum 8
Louizard To anyone who suffers from schizophrenia, I need advice Schizophrenia Forum 7
M Dating troubles with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 11
J SCHIZOPHRENIA, A POEM. Schizophrenia Forum 3
M I struggle with schizophrenia, Schizophrenia Forum 10
M Signs of Schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 5
J Schizophrenia, the making of genius. Schizophrenia Forum 6
Micsodi Help please, what consequences are there of early pension - paranoid schizophrenia - in the work-field +any information about handicap papers for life Schizophrenia Forum 5
M What is the different between depression and schizophrenia'negative symptoms? Schizophrenia Forum 10