• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia and jobs

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
As things are starting to look up again, I feel like I'm getting closer to be able to find a job and handle it well. Though biggest worry is discrimination. I'm interested in working in the health and social care field and worried I'd be turned down because of having schizophrenia. I had no problem with working in retail, the manager wasn't really bothered that I had it and assume it would be the same in other fields but just not health and childcare. I think we are seen as dangerous and unable to look after other people.

Any one here working in the field of health and social care?

And any tips for finding a job and coping well? 😊

N

natalie

Hi Pastel Kitten X,

I think your best way foward to begin with, is volunteering. You can then get an idea, how prospective managers of the volunteer world, might handle mental health volunteer world.

I have been volunteering for years, and i have not experienced any such problems.

In terms of paid work, the best bet and it is a grey area, indeed, not to disclose mental health acts wihtin you in your application forms, that way you;ll get along with the prospect employer (s) just fine, I know, I've been there. And I would not like to go down that route again.

Have a good evening,

Best regards.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

If your in the UK the volunteer sector welcomes all. I volunteered for a few years before it got to much

N

natalie

This is what I am thinking, that there is no problem with the volunteering sector, not in my groups of volunteer organisations, they don't discrimate in fact, they only encourage volunteers to apply for volunteering.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

This is what I am thinking, that there is no problem with the volunteering sector, not in my groups of volunteer organisations, they don't discrimate in fact, they only encourage volunteers to apply for volunteering.
Yup they encourage volunteers from all walks of life

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I used to work in healthcare, to be a nurse you have to be fit for practice.
I'm ill still so can't.
They do lengthy checks on health by occupational health.
I loved working with all age groups.
I feel discrimination would come into play, as in the uk a schizophrenic attacked a nursery nurse and some children.
Not everyone harms others,

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I used to work in healthcare, to be a nurse you have to be fit for practice.
I'm ill still so can't.
They do lengthy checks on health by occupational health.
I loved working with all age groups.
I feel discrimination would come into play, as in the uk a schizophrenic attacked a nursery nurse and some children.
Not everyone harms others,
OP is talking about volunteering. Not nursing

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Good luck however pastelkitten in finding the right job for you.
The local job centre's usually have a disability rights advisor who could help.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Thing is I want to get a real job and not volunteer. I don't like the idea of being on benefits when you are recovering and making process in that recovery. I feel like I'm good enough to have a job. Though, there are times where I can relapse/have a breakthrough... 🤔🙁

How do you guys view benefits? Is it something you think you'll be on for the rest of your life?

I have mixed feelings about it.

N

natalie

Hi Pastel,

Well, as I've implied, due to my severe mental health symptons when they do occur, I will always apparently stuck so to speak on benefits, such as incapcity, and also disaibilty living allowance, which I belive is now known as pip, and also volunteering. Unfortunately, and most annoyingly, I can't do full or part time paid work, for me, it is a grey area.

Best regards.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

As things are starting to look up again, I feel like I'm getting closer to be able to find a job and handle it well. Though biggest worry is discrimination. I'm interested in working in the health and social care field and worried I'd be turned down because of having schizophrenia. I had no problem with working in retail, the manager wasn't really bothered that I had it and assume it would be the same in other fields but just not health and childcare. I think we are seen as dangerous and unable to look after other people.

Any one here working in the field of health and social care?

And any tips for finding a job and coping well? 😊
There is some discrimination. It happened to me. I struggled to find and stay in jobs after my breakdown. Employers want certainty. Volunteering is excellent I've never had a problem with charities. Is your interest health and social care? Because you can always navigate your way around this. You could speak to a career counselor because they are experienced with these situations and can make some suggestions.

You can also change your strategy. I was originally in IT then I couldn't handle it after my breakdown and there was also discrimination. So I ended up doing simple jobs in another industry where I have free time and now I'm using my IT skills to do charity work in mental health after my whole experience. So it worked out well. I'm also hopefully going to sell books on amazon.

Just some ideas for you...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i worked in social services the comment was the meds control the worst excesses of the illness but they're not cure, since then i've been under pressure to prove severe illness on benefits or face severe poverty which in itself makes you ill

C

CoffeecupnoMug

up up no decipherment. But that's the job anyway.
Not God he's always there for you. God I mean.