• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia and benefits

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What benefits can a person with schizophrenia get? I'm going to apply for DLA soon.I've applied before and was turned down and didn't appeal.So I have to make a new claim.I cant remember why I was turned down.I threw the letter away.
How can I make sure I get what I'm entitled to?

D

Danage

References

You should put down references where they can confirm that you have a mental illness. For me, it was the references that got me the DLA in the first place.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Note for myself,try applying for incapacity benefit.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I'm on Incapacity Benefit and I manage on that just fine, but then I live at home with my mum. The assertive outreach brings up DLA with me sometimes but last time I applied for that I never got it.

M

maudikie

Olanza.

You can register as disabled, and get Disability Allowance. But get full advice from the Department f Work and Pensions, and take evidence with you (Dr.Certificate etc.) to show them.
You can also get advice from Rethink(on line) They should be up-to date with the changes that are taking place.

skitzware

skitzware

Founding Member
Best thing to do is contact your local Citizens Advice Service. They have training to fill in the DLA form using keywords that the DLA look for.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Best thing to do is contact your local Citizens Advice Service. They have training to fill in the DLA form using keywords that the DLA look for.
I'll have to note that, thanks for bringing that up (y).

J

Jake Maverick

i nearly got murdered a couple of years back. became homeless and lost everything (never recovered) then i got gang raped and tortured.

about the time i first became homeless the buggers cancelled all my benefits. ignored all attempts at contact. tried to sue them in the end. got set up (again) and now i apparently owe the yobs with no names around two grand now!!! i wudn't take the risk of dealing with the frackers if i were you......only surviving on other peoples charity and have been for nearly 3 years now.....all i look fwd to is death.

still expecting to be disappeared and tortured again at any time!!!

mail me if you wanna know my story!!!

CheerZ,
JM

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Bluemoon - as well as the CAB (who are definitely a good first port of call) there should be Advocacy Services or Benefit Advice Services in your area. The main thing to bear in mind is that the Benefits System is a hostile jungle and you need expert help from someone you are comfortable with, unless you are feeling really together.

Nick.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You need the apropiate references, my psychiatrist supported my dla claim but the reckoned i didn't meet the criteria, a lot physical, the trick is to get some mental health worker to fill up the referance from someone who knows you well, attempting to meet the criteria like not been able to go out cook a meal, paranoia can count as causing difficulties going out and concentration lack can meet the meal criteria, if you're living with your mom it's easier as you can say she does things like cooking meals

Theres always putting yourself at your worst, a lot of criteria are a bit ify you might meet them at some point

I went to a tribunal, they said "you haven't been in hospital for a long time" i said "i've got a friend telling me to come off the drugs and go into hospital to get the money and help and if this goes on much longer i just mught do that"

Bit harder to make that threat with community treatment orders around

As mind said it must be offputting to have things like not been in hospital recently held against you

D

Danage

Question.

I am doing a College course, getting DSA, Maintenance Grant and Middle Care, Low Mobility for DLA. I had a job at Morrisons, which I hated, that I had for one year, four months. Is it possible to claim Incapacity based on how long I have worked, and the fact that I could not hold down a job at the moment? Thank you in advance.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
If the rules haven't changed, to get incapacity benefit you have to have worked 2yrs between 2 goalposts set by the benefit system

when i worked it was for 2yrs but not between the goalposts so i was refused on a technicality as the shrink put it

I'm not sure of the rules on incapacity i'm not even sure if it's means tested after all the changes that have been aimed at it

My black neighbour worked stacking the shelves in sainsburys he had to give it up "as it was doing my head in" he's not officialy mentally ill though it's debatable considering his dope habit and him living in this place

D

Danage

If the rules haven't changed, to get incapacity benefit you have to have worked 2yrs between 2 goalposts set by the benefit system

when i worked it was for 2yrs but not between the goalposts so i was refused on a technicality as the shrink put it

I'm not sure of the rules on incapacity i'm not even sure if it's means tested after all the changes that have been aimed at it

My black neighbour worked stacking the shelves in sainsburys he had to give it up "as it was doing my head in" he's not officialy mentally ill though it's debatable considering his dope habit and him living in this place
Thank you for your answer. I have not worked for two years continuously, so it may not be possible to get Incapacity Benefit.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Forgot to mention it has to be 2yrs in the 3yrs prior to claiming

Psychiatrists sometimes used to avoid putting people on the sick in the hope they'd recover and by the time that looked doubtful they didn't qualify for incapacity, it used to be invalidity

D

Danage

Forgot to mention it has to be 2yrs in the 3yrs prior to claiming

Psychiatrists sometimes used to avoid putting people on the sick in the hope they'd recover and by the time that looked doubtful they didn't qualify for incapacity, it used to be invalidity
So you have to claim within one year of being out of a job?