• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia and Alzheimers have same weak spot

shaky

shaky

The brain has a weak spot for Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia, according to UK scientists who have pinpointed the region using scans.

The brain area involved develops late in adolescence and degenerates early during ageing.

At the moment, it is difficult for doctors to predict which people might develop either condition.

The findings, in the journal PNAS, hint at a potential way to diagnose those at risk earlier, experts say.

Although they caution that "much more research is needed into how to bring these exciting discoveries into the clinic".

More here...
BBC News - Brain's dementia weak spot identified

shaky

shaky

...more from the article

Dr Michael Bloomfield of University College London said: "Schizophrenia can be potentially devastating but at the moment it's very difficult to predict with certainty who is going to have a good prognosis and who might have a poor one.

"This study brings us a step closer to being able to make this prediction, so patients could in the future receive better targeted treatments."

Armed with this new knowledge, it may also be possible to understand how to prevent the brain changes before they occur, he said

S

supergreysmoke

I'd imagine removing stress is a good idea? What about a anti-atos system, and avoiding doing the 'shouty' and passive aggressive thing around those who can't do things as required? Seems obvious that the info aggregation module in the brain would be involved in both conditions to me. In dementia because of deterioration, with Sz because of unusual growth, or plain unusual...

shaky

shaky

This whole article baffles me.
Do schizo patients develop Alzhiemers early?
Are the symptoms the same?

Or is it the medication we take messing our brains up?

S

supergreysmoke

This whole article baffles me.
Do schizo patients develop Alzhiemers early?
Are the symptoms the same?

Or is it the medication we take messing our brains up?
Meds probably do some damage when too high...was a chemical zombie for a year, definitely lose that inside world map and the full palette of colors when on heavy meds.

BillFish

BillFish

Perhaps they should consider another word instead of "treatments", clearly the current modes of treatments, don't actually treat anything but just mask the symptoms.When they come up with something that actually rectifies the injury or malfunction give me a call will ya? Probably in 20 years time:p

S

supergreysmoke

Perhaps they should consider another word instead of "treatments", clearly the current modes of treatments, don't actually treat anything but just mask the symptoms.When they come up with something that actually rectifies the injury or malfunction give me a call will ya? Probably in 20 years time:p
Info agregators, in human beings, likely to be very complicated...you got folk like Isaac Newton and Einstein, all those novelists...too. Not gonna be easy to reverse engineer....it ain't a kidney here....maybe 200 years and I doubt there's enough fuel in the tank to see the journey of discovery though...