• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizophrenia: A drop of sunshine

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Schizophrenia: A drop of sunshine

It may be one word, but it immediately conjures up multiple connotations – mad, incurable, violent, suicidal, chemical imbalances, crazy, a lifelong condition, an inevitable dependency on Medicines. This film questions this negative mainstream view of the condition, and wonders if an alternative destiny for a person with a diagnosis is possible. It charts out the story of Reshma Valliappan, who now lives a fulfilling life, free of medicines. The film explores a controversial, but ultimately empowering, view of the condition, which a small minority of brave psychologists and psychiatrists are beginning to embrace across the world. It also proposes a contrarian approach towards treatment for the condition, where the patient is encouraged and equipped to become an equal partner in the process of healing.

Videos & Rest in Link.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Just another propaganda film from an anti-drug website. Reshma has the advantage of money, a supportive family, and friends; and there is also the doubt that she even had schizophrenia in the first place. Too many examples of where schizophrenia is so extreme, they lose everything. Yoga classes, therapy, painting, sports, chanting; few people have these luxuries. And to think you could apply this method to the chronic mentally ill homeless population, the ones hit the hardest by schizophrenia, is absurd.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No reasons why more comprehensive psychological/social approaches can't be adapted for general treatment - instead of primarily drugging everyone.

Mark_01

Mark_01

The cost would be prohibitive; and if drugs work, as you yourself have said, why exclude their benefits?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The cost would be prohibitive; and if drugs work, as you yourself have said, why exclude their benefits?
i wouldn't exclude a potential wise use of medications as part of a comprehensive approach to care.

i think such approaches require a paradigm shift more than money - & longer term i think such approaches would be financially cheaper, & enrich society.

D

Deliah

Wow, she is an incredible person and it gives me great encouragement to continue with doing things my way! Thank you for sharing! Happy! D xxxxxxx

A

Amyla

Very interesting CPU x. Thanks, thanks & more for posting this, it's given me some great ideas for self help.
Also really pleased with the link to the beyond meds web site too, I didn't know about that one. x

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i was doing my psychology degree and was convinced i'd got better, albeit a stabilised on meds better, i went to visit a friend in brum, in this high rise in castle vale, the bottom floor you had to walk through pools of urine to get to the lift, then he;d just been to his dhss disability benefit interview and the dr had said he thought he was getting better, this had upset him, he was saying i'm in my 40s what chance for a job, i said maybe you could work, he said i did work i felt they were all against me and i wasn't doing a good job, they told my dad i was doing alright but thats part of the illness

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Very interesting CPU x. Thanks, thanks & more for posting this, it's given me some great ideas for self help.
Also really pleased with the link to the beyond meds web site too, I didn't know about that one. x
do you have a diagnosis of severe mental illness and are you thinking of coming off meds as a result of that article cpu posted?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i think you know my point