• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Schizoaffective

jax

jax

I am still in hospital. Today I saw Dr M, the SHO. I'd rather see her than Dr B(Consultant) and I have asked her if I can see her when I get discharged rather than Dr B. She agreed. Of course it is only for 6 months as she gets moved on. When I saw her today, she knew all about the very rapid changes in mood lately. I talked to her about an awful experience I had on Wednesday after a pass. I was very high. I felt my head was going to explode. I honestly did feel it would. Everything was going so very fast. I went into my room, closed the door and blinds and lay down. She said that this is why they try me with short passes - so they can see what happens when I am around a lot of stimuli. It's apparent I am very easily stimulated - due a lot to my personality, she said. I wish I had asked why this was.

Dr M said that due to my diagnoses of Schizophrenia before this dx of Bipolar and they way my symptoms have been lately, they are almost definite that I am Schizo-affective and not Bipolar. She said that most Bipolar folk are high for long periods and then low. My rapid moods go beyond rapid cycling and that they are most seen in Schizo-affective. So I have not as yet, been diagnosed, but it seems that it is looking like this.

Not sure when I am getting out of hospital - hopefully in few more weeks
Jacqui

H

Hoose Lee

I am still in hospital. Today I saw Dr M, the SHO. I'd rather see her than Dr B(Consultant) and I have asked her if I can see her when I get discharged rather than Dr B. She agreed. Of course it is only for 6 months as she gets moved on. When I saw her today, she knew all about the very rapid changes in mood lately. I talked to her about an awful experience I had on Wednesday after a pass. I was very high. I felt my head was going to explode. I honestly did feel it would. Everything was going so very fast. I went into my room, closed the door and blinds and lay down. She said that this is why they try me with short passes - so they can see what happens when I am around a lot of stimuli. It's apparent I am very easily stimulated - due a lot to my personality, she said. I wish I had asked why this was.

Dr M said that due to my diagnoses of Schizophrenia before this dx of Bipolar and they way my symptoms have been lately, they are almost definite that I am Schizo-affective and not Bipolar. She said that most Bipolar folk are high for long periods and then low. My rapid moods go beyond rapid cycling and that they are most seen in Schizo-affective. So I have not as yet, been diagnosed, but it seems that it is looking like this.

Not sure when I am getting out of hospital - hopefully in few more weeks
Jacqui

Dear jacqui

sorry to here that you are in hospital. hope everything goes alright for you and you are home soon.

take care

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Jax...some good news. Schizoaffective disorder can have long gaps of time between 'episodes' and the quality and rate of recovery has been considered better than standard 'Schizophrenia'. I am diagnosed as Schizoaffective and have had both type of psychotic episodes, and definitely think at different times the psychotic experience is different; I read some time ago that a manic form of psychosis has been reported as having visual effect (light appearing as different, i.e. sunlight etc) that is not reported (or not reported as much) by persons suffering schizophrenic type psychosis. Ring any bells???