• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

schizoaffective or schizophrenia

B

Beckib

I have been diagnosed schizoaffective but I think i'm more schizophrenic.
My new pdoc is questioning the diagnosis but hasn't said what he is thinking. Plus I have never met him before so how can he question the diagnosis.
I am thinking I'm more schizophrenic, I don't seem to have moods swings anymore but i'm always paranoid and having what others say are not normal thoughts. I take 20mg aripiprozale for the schizo side of the illness. if I was diagnosed as schizophrenic would my meds change, what meds do you take and do how do they work for you.

B

Beckib

I forgot to put that I suffer with depression, lack of motivation, I struggle to do my job because I can't concentrate. This seems to happen more now when I am suffering with paranoid thoughts etc

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m diagnose schitzo affective as well. But originally diagnoses bipolar. The diagnosis was changed due to the psychosis i was going thru. You say you have depression again that’s the same as me hence to Schitzoaffective . I think if its if you have two at least 2 of the symptoms thats how they come up with the diagnosis ie psychosis with depression or psychosis with mania. Fortunately ive been psychosis free since 2007

B

Beckib

I wonder why he say's he is questioning the diagnosis

B

Beckib

Can’t sleep....my head feels like it’s going to explode I just need it to be quiet. I feel like I’m going mad. Don’t want to go to work tomorrow feel like they are plotting against me and talking about me ...getting stressed about it.

E

EstherRose94

I’m sure your coworkers aren’t plotting against you. That’s just a paranoid thought that is based on how you’re feeling rather than what is happening in reality. In my opinion (& if I remember correctly) there is a lot of overlap between schizoaffective and schizophrenia. I would not worry too much about which diagnosis fits you. I would perhaps ask your doctor how a changed diagnosis would effect you in terms of insurance or what will be disclosed to your workplace, etc. what would the pros and cons be? No matter what, it’s just a lens to understand yourself through. The more logistical effects of the diagnosis that the doctor puts on paper should thus take precedence in my opinion. I think it’s totally okay for you to ask him those questions because you deserve to understand. Ask why he’s thinking of changing it. He’ll hopefully be kind and explain.

B

Beckib

I feel like I’m going mad I need something to calm the voices in my head .... why do the voices and paranoia come back at stressful times and why don’t the meds seem to work during this time...will it calm down on its own, I have been like this since all this Coronavirus started, I normally get stressed with work a lot so this on top doesn’t help

E

EstherRose94

Stress makes symptoms of everything worse. It’s totally normal. I get anxious as heck when I’m stressed. Your best bet is to try some calming or relaxation techniques like take a walk, do yoga, meditate, draw. Anything that calms you down will probably calm the voices down too.

Cabra

Cabra

I have been diagnosed schizoaffective but I think i'm more schizophrenic.
My new pdoc is questioning the diagnosis but hasn't said what he is thinking. Plus I have never met him before so how can he question the diagnosis.
I am thinking I'm more schizophrenic, I don't seem to have moods swings anymore but i'm always paranoid and having what others say are not normal thoughts. I take 20mg aripiprozale for the schizo side of the illness. if I was diagnosed as schizophrenic would my meds change, what meds do you take and do how do they work for you.
How do you find aripiprazole?
I feel less motivated on it, agitated, anxious and a general lack of interest.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

It is a close call whether you have schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia with mood symptoms. Both have similar psychotic symptoms, but with schizoaffective disorder the mood symptoms(depression or mania) are more pronounced. I read in the newest DSM that to be diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder one must have had the mood symptoms for a majority of the time (more than 50% of the time) in the history of your illness. If not then one would be diagnosed with schizophrenia. This actually happened to me. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective, depressive type for many years, but then my depression went away, and after being depression free and not taking any antidepressants for several years, my psychiatrist changed my diagnosis to schizophrenia.

B

Beckib

I feel the same as you do on aripiprazole. I’m not sure it’s for me. I’m currently in bed extremely tired although my mood seems ok I still have no motivation, lack of interest, voices and paranoia this is what’s making me think it’s not schizoaffective

Passionflower

Passionflower

I have been depressed for 5 months and wonder whether I should have the diagnosis schizoaffective, but my psych still says I am schizophrenic. It seems to be random whether you get one or the other diagnosis.

L

Lab rat

How do you find aripiprazole?
I feel less motivated on it, agitated, anxious and a general lack of interest.
I found ariprip sent me manic. And I don’t have mood disorder. I was only on them for a few days that’s how badly I reacted to them.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I've had depression on and off over the years and had it while having psychosis.
However I was diagnosed with either schizophenia or paranoid disorder.
I think I have more schizoaffective, as my moods are up and down.
The treatment aripipazole is for both, I'm on that.

L

Lab rat

I've had depression on and off over the years and had it while having psychosis.
However I was diagnosed with either schizophenia or paranoid disorder.
I think I have more schizoaffective, as my moods are up and down.
The treatment aripipazole is for both, I'm on that.
How do you tolerate the aripipazole? I found it made my mood take a nose dive and sleeping was impossible.

I was first diagnosed paraphrenic (that’s how long ago I was first dxd) then we went to sz followed by schizoaffective but that wasn’t for long before paranoid sz scored the final goal and that’s settled till this day. That was many years ago. I’ve got a new pdoc now as my old pdoc has retired. A new doc usually seems to mean a new dx, but not so far with this guy, he is too busy putting out fires with my symptoms flaring up & because of the lockdown he is having to do it all over the phone which is darned near impossible! On the plus side, he is around my age, so he would be retiring around the same time as me! Lol

joking aside, I’m sure that when things do settle down he will want to put his own stamp on me. My guess (and it is only a guess based on experience) is that it will be schizoaffective depressed.